Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The University Administration is our biggest enemy!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by twodaparty, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    "Enemy"?
    That's a ridiculous use of the word.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    But they should either fully support or get the hell out of the way. It’s not like it cost them money to field a football team. If they want to come out and say they are ok with being where we are and not try to get over the hump, I’ll save the cash and not travel in for the couple games a year I can afford. I won’t support half ass effort.

3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess I need someone to explain how they are "in the way". Is it that $80M football facility we are building?
    Money isn't unlimited, especially in these times. I always laugh at some of the same people complaining about spending are the same ones that lose their mind when ticket prices are high (not saying you are one of those). There are schools strangling with debt service...looking at you FSU and Tenn, I'm glad UF is fiscally responsible while conducting their business.
    We have a highly paid staff. We have a first class IPF. We have an elite academic center. We are building an incredible football facility. If that's UAA getting in the way then I'm all for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was talking about the university’s reputation not being tarnished in spite of the football program having way more leeway with its coach in terms of football dictates football. Not the university. Yet they still are an AAU member, well respected academically etc.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    It sounds like Mullen wants this program to be on the same level as Bama, Clemson, Texas A&M and the UAA is being stubborn. To me, that is very discouraging, especially if it leads to Mullen leaving. The deafening silence regarding new hires leads me to believe that Mullen is mailing it in because the UAA won't accommodate his demands.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. twodaparty

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow. I did not know he “retired.” He has integrity having been Foley’s right hand man for all those years so when he saw the crap Kirby is pulling he got the heck out I guess. I mean why would he retire so early after he waited all of those years to go back to his all alma mater? Doesn’t make sense.

7. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    If only your saying so, made it so. Obviously, it is difficult because so few universities can manage it. We have, winning NCAA Championships, consistently, or maybe I should say "frequently", in multiple sports just in this century. And we have been in competition for even more, even if we did not win the title. That has happened at the same time we have raised the academic standing to a level unimagined when I was an undergrad. Our athletics are CONSISTENTLY good across season and gender. Every school we face, in every sport, knows they will be seeing excellence across from them. It's why they rush the court when they beat us more than when we beat them. Championships are breakthroughs when your program is as evenly distributed as ours is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. twodaparty

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes. Just look at what Dan Mullen and every other coach before him had to deal with during their time. An example is the institution / administration giving athletes a hard time qualifying, sometimes even more than the NCAA requires. See Larry Grant if memory serves who should have been a Gator but went to Ohio State instead. Ironic we beat them for the title that year. Our competitors are letting guys in that we won’t. That’s silly. You aren’t going to tarnish the overall university from an academia standpoint domestically and globally because you let in kids who might struggle in high school to play football and give them a chance at a professional career.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  9. twodaparty

Apr 3, 2007
    This. And it’s sad. He doesn’t want more money he wants more help from his employer. People can’t see that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    And as much as I hated McElwain, these were his same complaints. Who knows how good he would have been if he had been given the appropriate resources. He still might've sucked massively because of Nussmeyer being the OC, but still.

11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Your right, they are doing it right. I’m just not sure what goes on behind close doors and I’m not speculating. Either they are full on in or not. I understand, run it as a business and make profit or at least break even.

12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    We can certainly be elite in both. In fact they should compliment each other. There is no benefit for academics to try to harm athletics or vice versa.

What happens in these situations, in any entity, is leadership is generally biased towards one those ventures. So the other gets neglected. It’s not because they dislike the other, it’s just not the passion. It’s very difficult to find leadership that is very well rounded

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    You think that choosing to employ an ethically challenged misfit such as Jimbo Fisher isn't a clear and imminent threat to the employer's reputation? Surely you've noticed that FSU's reputation (what there was of it) has been sullied nationally due in part to his and the football program's efforts. No thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Obviously it wasn't so he could kick back at the beach:

Greg McGarity, former UGA AD, lands new job with Gator Bowl

I think this is a good move for him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. BJ1888

BJ1888 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Pretty sure it's 20 of 28 (7 years of CFP x 4 teams):
    Alabama - 6 (5 as SEC Champ, once as runner-up)
    Clemson - 6 (all as ACC Champ)
    Oklahoma - 4 (all as BigXII Champ)
    OSU - 4 (3 as Big10 Champ, once as runner-up)​

None of these schools is ranked like UF is for academics: UF (30th overall), Ohio State (53rd), Alabama (65th), Clemson (74th), Oklahoma (133rd).
    Of the schools that have ever made the CFP, only Notre Dame (10th) and Michigan State (32nd) are comparable to UF's ranking.

16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Thank you. I wanted to type all this, but was too lazy to look it up!!! :oops:

17. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It is true. Not only Larry Grant LBer to OSU, but how about we sign a needed DT named Santonio Holmes (?) and he starts fall practice under Spurrier then our wonderful Adm sends SH away and he immediately signs up and plays as true fr for none other than Miami.

The Adm did not back Spurrier in 2001 end of season re fsu and Darnell Dockett.

We always seem to have trouble getting some high school, and most Juco, players admitted who suddenly qualify elsewhere. If the UAA wants to be Vandy then go work at vandy. Football comprises 85 players with maybe 5 or up to 10 who may be marginal academically. 10 of 50,000 students is 1 in 5,000. No big deal, but it can be the difference between being 2nd or 3rd in SEC East and winning SECC and National Title.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Uga, Miami, and some others get it. UF Adm does not.

UF has a history of "self-destruction" when on the cusp of greatness.

18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Cmon, you had to go back 15 years to find a juco kid we couldn't get in. By and large the academic requirements are the NCAA threshold...especially for high school kids. If memory serves the Grant issue was a class required by the SEC, not UF specifically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    All sports is great and all but football supports all those sports. If I as a fan feels our football team is not getting every advantage they can and Mullen leaves because of this, no top coach will come here and I won’t spend my hard earned cash to attend a couple games a year. They can thumb their nose at me if they choose but there are many more just like me.

20. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Foolish me...I actually used data at the College Football Playoff website College Football Playoff History I should have know that it was incorrect, incomplete, or misleading....I took appearances to mean the number of years selected rather than number of games each team played. Should have also picked up on that this year's edition wasn't even included in the results because Notre Dame only appears once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.