Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The sky will not fall if Mullen leaves:

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 183gator, Jan 3, 2021.

1. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    If Mullen got burned out last year, for his sake he should go. Fan pressure is clearly increasing, and what we learned from Meyer being convinced to stay is that things don't get better if a coach has lost interest.

That said, anybody who wishes Mullen gone is crazy. The program seems unlikely to go backward, and we could use a few years of stability before trying to roll the dice again. Moreover Mullen might surprise us.

• Like Like x 2
  2. royalewitcheesee

royalewitcheesee GC Legend

Nov 20, 2016
    Dan isn't going anywhere. I agree with Tilly 100%

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GolphinGator

GolphinGator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Maybe the same ones or at least type fan that goes on the game thread at NBN and calls for Coach White to be fired every time a player misses a shot pretty much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    At the moment we are living in a culture of fake posters. There are a bunch of newbs here with <50 posts just popping in to discuss the potential departure of the Gator coach. :emoji_thinking:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. NoviG8r

NoviG8r Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sexton gonna Sexton, and then every rival will be using it on the crootin' trail. Just part of the game.

9. NoviG8r

NoviG8r Sophomore

Apr 9, 2007
    To be a bit witty, but truthful, Dan is definitely ahead of Dabo at this point in their tenures at their respective schools .... Dan has put Florida on NCAA probation already. While it seems a trivial matter, Dan did it knowingly and intentionally. There was also the incident with his assistants. Probation is a serious issue at UF. Couple that with the somewhat embarrassing moments at press conferences this season and the grumbling gets louder when we finish on a 3-game losing skid.
    That said, you are correct that there is no way any of the 3 coaches mentioned by the OP are coming (or coming back) to Gainesville. It is also true that there are no guarantees that we would do better than Mullen with his replacement. Still, Dan brings much of this on himself by apparently not considering the impact of his statements on recruiting and the university and wrt the fan base. I'm not looking to fire him, but there could come a point where either he chooses to leave (for whatever reason) or he is let go. If that day comes sooner than anticipated, I don't think we will see the panic that set in the first time Meyer resigned from UF.

• Like Like x 1
  10. easycoastgator

easycoastgator Junior

Dec 26, 2018
    Divide and conquer. It’s been used as a tactic for millennia

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    Would not take my chances. Although the upcoming year is scary

12. Rawpimple

Rawpimple GC Hall of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I don’t see any nfl team hiring Dan Mullen as their coach this year. I’d call his agents bluff. You do this crap when you are a hot commodity not when you lose your last three games and get ripped on and off by the national media.

just because Dan has interest doesn’t mean the nfl does. Maybe with connections he gets an interview, but that’s as far as I see it going this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I take a several day hiatus after every loss, longer the worse the loss is. Helps my sanity here! Dan's seat isn't even cool yet, still cold IMO!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    I wish crybaby Gator fans had massive influence. Grantham would have been reading the want ads after the TAM game, and we might still be playing football. Just a marginal improvement on defense to mediocre, and we might have beaten Alabama and LSU. We wasted one of the best offenses in decades on one of the worst defenses in history.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    Not so sure. What did Dan say after the Tennessee game? Wasn’t it something about beginning to game plan for Alabama? He completely overlooked LSU, and it bit him in the butt.

So from Mullen’s comments, it is more likely he held him out because he didn’t think Pitts was needed to beat LSU, and he was focused more on getting ready for Alabama. If we were playing Alabama instead of LSU, you better believe that Pitts would have been on the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Wrong again. Pitts was hurt, and medical staff held him out. Why do people like you, with absolutely no information, offer such asinine opinions?

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Well none produced anything that predicts future coaching success (CFP and SECT)

Muschamp had the best season (2012) and was closest to a title. He was also a better recruiter than Mullen. Mac won the East twice. Mullen has had the most consistency.

As we saw with Muschamp and Mac you don’t want to raise and extend unless you see accomplishments that are predictive for future success.

One decent predictor for a Muschampian nosedive is to be awful on one side of the ball. So if Mullens D is awful next year we can easily lose 5 or 6.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    You are only comparing 1 year. None of the three accomplished anything predictive.

You are rating year over year consistency of being solid more than the best year of the bunch Muschamp (2012) and the most East titles (Mac). I’m saying none of those things are predictive for coaches.

Mullen gets more time because he came into a tougher situation, not because he’s been significantly better. He can easily lose 5 or 6 games next year if we don’t see a major D improvement. What then? It goes back to the fact he hasn’t accomplished anything predictive

I also don’t care about the OU loss. I care more about how the backups played as a look into 2021. But not about the W or L itself.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well if we're playing hypotheticals as reasoning... Might have also found that firing a DC two games in (and coaching a man down) didn't fundamentally fix the D, and things ended up roughly where we are now.

Of course, many of the same 'Mullen is incompetent for not firing TG' folks would (hypothetically) be apoplectic because Mullen fired the guy midseason and we went 8-4.

Variations on wasting one of the best____ with _____ line of reasoning would apply to years under both Spurrier and Meyer, and pretty much every successful coach of the last 30 years.

Seems like that's just part of the coaching gig at big-time programs, rather than some outlying flaw exclusively characteristic of Mullen. There isn't a cheat code in real life, where if entered, the outcome is guaranteed.

20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

The backups had 3 practices with the first team, and some had less. Toney practiced at least one of those days. Maybe other starters did too.

Am rating the fact that the entire body of work has been better. This was in essence a 10 or 11 win season if not for Covid.
    We were not originally scheduled to play aTm and we played LSU AFTYER the growing pains had eased for them a bit.

We played the 3 best teams in the SEC this season along with the best team in the Big 12.
    We missed out on cupcake games that get a team prepared.
    Shut the season down for multiple weeks due to an outbreak.
    The season was a navigational train wreck.

But he produced a Heisman finalist and beat UGA.

Mac lucked into Atlanta playing a terrible East slate and getting blown out by a Bama team that was on a different level than us.
    Dan Mullen closed the gap on the scoreboard with Bama to 6 points and has a solid class coming in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1