Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The single most destructive force in our society is the mainstream media

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The mainstream media comes into our living rooms every night - delivering the news.

That alone makes them different.

Surely you understand that.

I have no problem with the media making a profit. That isn't the point I'm making. It's my opinion they can BOTH make a profit AND deliver a quality product.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86_alum

86_alum Recruit

Feb 27, 2020
    Both are wrong... People kill people.

3. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Americans in general, not you specifically. But if you are looking for an excuse to feel victimized, let me know and I'll pour it on you ;)

4. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

I guarantee like every corporation, media does think they deliver a quality product that is satisfying their customers (for a nice profit)!

5. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I will repost this comment.

The biggest destructive threat is not free press but ignorance to pursue the truth. That is not a partisan swipe. If this board has become so thin skinned that making truthful posts have to be deleted, so be it.

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    People kill people and people with guns can kill other people more efficiently.

7. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    There’s actually a portion of this rant that I happen to agree with. The move to making television news a profit-making entity has been corrosive to our democracy.

Originally, television news was not a profit-making venture. In order to get their portion of the spectrum from the FCC, networks needed to dedicate a portion of their programming to educational or public service programming. One such avenue for this was television network news. Among one of the least profitable of this not for profit making ventures was foreign new bureaus. They were absolute money pits.

However, network news was about informing the populace and did a good job doing so in a way that only those who watch PBS new hour will see now (with less story depth).

Cable news stations, and particularly Fox News, changed the landscape. Cable news generally needed to create programming to merit a 24-hour news channel. It creates more sensationalism while decreasing expense on those pricey foreign news bureaus. It did so by creating more opinion and editorial programming.

Fox News made it even worse, blurring the line between news delivery and opinion programming, intentionally by Ailes, to deliver propaganda with the cultural credibility of news, something he had aimed to do since he worked for Nixon.

Meanwhile, all suicides are tragic...vet suicides are particularly tragic. But that seems to be only one of the two distinct issues raised in the OP.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Here's just one example of where I think the media fails us.

Let's consider the immigration situation - in particular with our southern border.

Don't you (as the public) want to get a better feel for who these people are who want to come into the country?

Why not put a team on the border doing interviews with these folks?

When someone moves in next door - don't you want to know who they are - just a little bit? Where they moved here from - what do they do for a living? How many in the family? Are they going to school?

I understand this would be an invasion of privacy to some - but for those willing to be interviewed.....I'd like to think this would be of great interest to the American public, wouldn't it?

Instead we get fed whatever narrative the media is pushing that day. It's out right disgusting and does an injustice to the country.

9. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    False premise. Democrats nor the MSM is for open borders. See what happens when you get your news from conservative TV. You believe that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    How did the subject of open borders come up?

11. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Well when you post bad metaphors you apparently get bad interpretations. Sorry.

12. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Is this the part of my post you are referring to?:

When someone moves in next door - don't you want to know who they are - just a little bit?

If so - not a metaphor. Might be considered an analogy though.

I only included it as a way to add relate-ability to my question.

I think everyone can relate to what happens in their own personal space.

I've lived all over and had all kinds of neighbors. While I don't consider myself to be nosy - I'm always curious who my neighbors are.

Those coming into our country - I don't know them unless I meet them. My point was let's not just refer to them in the abstract - as an item. Let's get more personal.

[​IMG]

13. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Are you going to position people in airports since that is were most folks who are here illegally start their "journey?" This is were it helps to get news from various sources, not just network television. Not a lot of in depth reporting in a 30 minute broadcast.

It is incumbent on ALL of us to try to find as much credible information as we can. You really can't make good decisions without good information.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Be sure to note any nose twitching.
    27132A31-3DB7-4DB0-8286-DB156C37E360.png

Abner, come look at this...

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

I agree. Would like to see more credible information. Keep the politics at a minimum.

BBC, NPR, and PBS do a pretty good job. And they do air on TV, so that's a plus.

As far as immigrants - I'm not really interested in those trying to come here illegally as I am those trying to come in legally. I think knowing more about them would open up some eyes for those in the dark about who exactly these folks are. But I guess the same could be said for those illegals too.

Of course, there are many people who already understand things pretty good. But there are way too many who do not, I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I swear she is my next door neighbor! :D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

You just named a bunch of publicly funded, not-for-profit media outlets. Really makes you think, doesn't it? ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mutz87

mutz87 #glassofwatergate VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Even before he named them, I was thinking he had already identified the true problem, which isn't media or even media bias per se, but capitalism and technology. The emergence of social media (tech) and the emergence of *alternative media) and the restructuring of traditional media to compete online seems to be the issue. No one need watch cable news to be informed, but there is a lot of great reporting and opinionating and vice versa but the cacophony can be hard to distinguish for many. Plus it's all been amplified.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Watching Lester Holt again tonight. Decent broadcast...and he's got a nice even vocal tone. More relaxing than Muir, if that makes sense.

20. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    I knew there was something “bewitching” about you.

• Funny Funny x 1