Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Sacklers - What is Just?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:56 PM.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    So "Too-Hot'ers" for those that follow the Opioid crises what is your opinion as to what "justice" should be meted out to the Sackler's / Purdue Pharma?

Nothing / Financial / Criminal ?

The NIDA offers the following statistics related to "Opioid" deaths:

2007 - 18,515
    2017 - 47,600

I have heard some very emotional testimony by some family members of the deceased calling for 'Execution" of some of the Sackler family members involved with the business.

These are Gigantic Numbers. In addition to the "deaths" I suspect you could at least multiply that by 3 or 4 in terms of ruined or adversely effected lives.

I seem to recall the President suggesting that "Drug-Dealers" should be executed. Wouldn't the Sackler's fall directly in this category? Of course they are Billionaires and when do Billionaires ever actually face consequences in the U.S. justice system (other than financial) for their actions?

As an aside it is understood that Purdue Pharma is not the only manufacturer and distributor of Opioids, there are many others although the Sackler's seem to be bearing the "brunt" of criticism at the moment.

Interested in your feedback.....thank you in advance.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:59 PM
  2. studegator

studegator Senior

Feb 24, 2008
    Put them in prison in "Bubba's" cell.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't know what is just but they will get far less than what is just.

5. wgbgator

Not totally related, but the Sacklers have been trying to buy as much good PR as they can, with some people it hasn't worked.

https://jezebel.com/courtney-love-infamous-former-addict-will-not-sell-ou-1837985047

6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Zero

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    apparently lose control of oxycontin with all profits from future sells going to settlement
    Provide narcan and detox/rehab drugs for free
    $3B over 7 years from family

Tentative opioids settlement falls short of nationwide deal
    HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A tentative settlement announced Wednesday over the role Purdue Pharma played in the nation’s opioid addiction crisis falls short of the far-reaching national settlement the OxyContin maker had been seeking for months, with litigation sure to continue against the company and the family that owns it.

The agreement with about half the states and attorneys representing roughly 2,000 local governments would have Purdue file for a structured bankruptcy and pay as much as $12 billion over time, with about $3 billion coming from the Sackler family. That number involves future profits and the value of drugs currently in development.

In addition, the family would have to give up its ownership of the company and contribute another $1.5 billion by selling another of its pharmaceutical companies, Mundipharma.

Several attorneys general said the agreement was a better way to ensure compensation from Purdue and the Sacklers than taking their chances if Purdue files for bankruptcy on its own.

• Like Like x 1
  8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I would agree if opiods were legal. Long time ago I read Our Right to Drugs written by a libertarian doctor. He pointed out that the problems with giving doctors power v. the gov. Unlike buying oxy in an ally, doctors have the legal monopoly, a profit incentive & people presume they also have their best interest in mind.

If I buy a car battery at walmart & it is too little for my car tuff. If I go to Honda & ask them to replace my battery & they put in the wrong one, they are responsible.

I am also very pro legal REC weed. Med weed, eh.

9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The sacklers knew exactly what their products were doing for years and did nothing while people died, happy to take the profits.
    At a minimum they should be broke at the end of it, they shouldn’t have profited one dime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    More action being taken on the opioid epidemic (the name makes it sound technical and important) that should be simply called..."I had surgery and those pills rocked! Where can I get more? Oh no! Now I need more and more and next I will mix different pills".

Fact is, drugs are part of the human makeup and people want more when they have the "alternate reality" happen. Which, like guns, requires restrictions to control the abuse that is inherently going to happen. But, just like gun use, the people using the "opiods" dont want to restrict the availability even if they are not addicted. Control supply and you control the problem.

11. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    That doesn't address the issue of the initial negligence and purposefully misleading research as to the addictive traits of OxyContin. Bribing Doctors with lucrative prizes for sales. They used the needy and desperate people of Appalachia as human test studies. There are many involved that deserve to face the same time as many of the addicts they created.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Everyone knows that pain killers are addictive. But we all know people that find those drugs a neat alternative to "illegal" drugs. They are painkillers but people get off on the quick high when taking them. As a point, I always do an online check on any drug prescribed to me which keeps me informed. Sadly, if people are willing to sniff freon from air conditioners or drink rubbing alcohol for a high then prescription drugs are a no brainer.

Resolution comes from people making personal choices and I offer this thought. Most people doing opioids had or have been doing other drugs in their past. Yes i know some maybe didn't but most have. This getting high thing isnt knew to them but they are not getting the danger of the opioid high.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 3:54 AM
  13. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    You are using misinformed opinion as fact. When Purdue Pharmaceuticals released its data on OxyContin, they purposely used false statistics to sell them as a safer and less addictive form of painkiller. Then you have doctors pushing these on patients using this narrative. That's why they hit more impoverished rural communities with lower levels of education. Most of these patients aren't going to question their family practitioners. It was a calculated move to make a lot of money, and it did.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    "Less addictive" is addictive. If people double up, and they do, then you have a problem.In America pain is a no no and people will take anything to numb it.
    I dont discount the addictive nature of any drug and I am 100 percent sure that when taken as directed they are not addictive. But...people are people ya know.

15. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I've become aware that discussing this with you is 100 percent a waste of time.
    It would be great if you would read up on the subject, but I won't hold my breath.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Oh well. Your loss. Wasnt holding my breath you would accept a simpler version of addiction that has no drama or headlines. For example, did you know that nicotine holds less power over a smoker than the actual habit itself? True. Did you know that in nearly all cases that "alcoholism" isnt really much more than a brains desire to fulfill a false sense if need. Take any "alcoholic" away from the ability to drink and guess what...they arent alcoholics anymore.
    Nice discussing with you. Glad you learned something.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  17. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    It's too bad I didn't run into you before I majored in Health and Human Services with a focus in addiction studies. Plus all of the traveling and time spent sitting in seminars, dealing with addiction and addicts daily. All this time Gator Country had a member who already solved what so many thought to be the complex issue of addiction.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Your gun analogy is a good one. These drugs work when used correctly. They kill when used incorrectly. I know that people on here have very personal stories about opioids but there is a lot of grey area in both debates.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. intimigator1

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    You can major in all you want but it makes you an expert in very little if you dont understand the most basic functions of human need and desire. The simple fact you just had to tell your qualifications as a tool to degrade my intelligence suggests that more seminars and schooling should be in your future. Not a very impressive "expert".

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. wgbgator

Your posts haven't suggested much intelligence or thoughtfulness on this subject. "You should know its bad/addictive, junkie" is just the dumbest way to think about this problem, or any drug issue, legal or not.

• Winner Winner x 2