Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The road to another Natty

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida (+3000)

[​IMG]
    If ... late-2018 Feleipe Franks is the permanent Feleipe Franks. Florida's junior quarterback has already lived quite a few football lives in Gainesville. He was the too-much-too-soon rookie behind center for the death rattle of the Jim McElwain era. He was the up-and-down sophomore who ushered in the Dan Mullen era by alternating between strong performances and shaky ones.

Finally, he was the guy who helped Florida's offense dominate the last four games of 2018. He completed 65 percent of his passes with eight TDs to no INTs (plus 54 rushing yards per game with a 50 percent rushing success rate) as Florida averaged 45 points per game against South Carolina, Idaho, FSU and Michigan. If that is the Franks who shows up in 2019, then the Gators could put a serious scare into Georgia in the SEC East race.

If ... Franks has a go-to weapon. In three losses last year, leading receivers Van Jefferson and Trevon Grimes combined to catch a ghastly 11 of 32 passes for 114 yards. When the Gators needed to make a play through the air, Franks didn't know whom he could trust.

If ... the offensive line doesn't regress too much. After years of underachievement, the Gators' line was downright good in 2018, paving the way for Florida to rank 14th in rushing marginal efficiency, 20th in stuff rate and first in passing downs sack rate. But now it has to replace four starters. Some combination of veteran reserves and young blue-chippers has to at least replicate last year's steadiness.

If ... Todd Grantham's defense tamps down the recklessness a hair. All-out aggression has been Grantham's calling card through defensive coordinator stops with the Cleveland Browns, Georgia, Louisville and now UF. When it works, it works. But when it didn't work in 2018, UF got gashed.

The Gators ranked 12th in FBS in sack rate (9.2 percent) and forced plenty of third-and-longs (7 yards to go or more), but opponents converted third-and-long 26 percent of the time (84th). Grantham needs a new ace pass-rusher with Jachai Polite now a New York Jet -- Louisville transfer Jon Greenard, perhaps? -- though a secondary no longer heavily reliant on freshmen and sophomores could be capable of holding on to coverage for a moment longer. Either way, the sacks-to-big-plays ratio needs to improve.

How each top CFB contender can win the national title

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Funny.....

Several other odds books have Florida at +1600

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I can see us getting to the playoffs if we play as well as I think we can. And as the writer states in his article, we have to take the last four games and make that the norm... Can we forget (never repeat) the first halves of the USCe, Vandy and all of the Missouri games? If we can and we start healthy then we have a good shot at having a better overall record/team/season.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Personally I think Franks will be better than he was at the end of last year. I see no reason why his development is suddenly halted after the bowl game. It may start plateauing, but it seemed to still be trending upward through Spring.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If ... the offensive line doesn't progress enough.

FIFT

6. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Back to the howling old owl in the woods,

Hunting the horny back toad.

Oh I've finally decided my future lies

Beyond the yellow brick road.........

• Like Like x 1
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Instigator22

Instigator22 Freshman

Nov 10, 2014
    I think the best possible outcome for us this year is win every regular season game but lose to georgia a close game in jax - then play lights out in November and end up around #6.

The SEC Championship game features bama and Georgia both ranked in top 4. Georgia finally beats Bama and it’s not even close. We slide into playoffs.

DBU makes Trevor have his worst game yet and we play for the the Natty against Georgia and stomp them silly.

Short of going undefeated, this is the only path I see.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    LETs say Bama one and Clemson two. We go undefeated but lost on a last second field goal to Bama. Everyone behind us has a bad loss (Pitt/Oregon State/Texas Tech) type of loss. Our only loss is to Bama. We get in I think

10. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Best possible outcome never includes losing to Georgia. Never.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    I always like our chances.

12. wearetheboys

wearetheboys Premium Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Best possible outcome for us this season is beating georgia. That game has more value to us right now than all the others combined.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    wut??

If we can beat uga in the playoffs why couldn't we beat them in the regular season? Isn't the best possible outcome beating everyone?

14. Instigator22

Instigator22 Freshman

Nov 10, 2014
    Ok. So y’all think THIS is the year we go undefeated???

Best possible outcome that I can see

Not that I can dream.

But okay

15. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think we go undefeated. I just don't understand the logic you're using. We beat everyone except uga. Then we beat Clemson and uga? If we can beat Clemson and uga in the playoffs we can certainly beat uga in the regular season. Not to mention how difficult it is for two teams from the same conference to get into the playoffs.

A more probably scenario would be we lose one game in the regular season we probably shouldn't lose (UK (again!), LSU, Mizzou (again!)) and then win out.

16. Instigator22

Instigator22 Freshman

Nov 10, 2014
    My thinking is that if we lose to UGA we would be somewhat fortuitous to not play the SEC championship game but could still get into playoffs.

Beating bama twice. No way.

Beating Georgia twice. Not likely.

Getting hot and winning two games. Possible.

17. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    The road to national relevance runs squarely through Jacksonville. I see no team on our schedule that we can't beat with the outlier being LSU in Baton Rouge. Even if we lose to the corn dogs a win over Georgia gives us the tie breaker. The SEC championship against Bama will be a tough game. Beat Bama and we're in the Nattys. But even if we lose there is still a possibility of getting into the playoffs. So I say be very quiet and try to peak against the Dawgs. Win in Jax and everything falls into place.

• Like Like x 1
  18. melrose12

melrose12 Premium Member

Jun 25, 2019
    1 loss to LSU. Win the rest. Play Ala for SEC Title. Hard to win them all. But this could work

19. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    We need to beat the Dawgs, plain and simple. Other scenarios might happen, but ensuring real success would require that task.

But, the way I see it - the most important game we play is Miami!!

Beat the canes and move on to the next...

Go Gators.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    We cannot take the canes too lightly. With all the hype, they are going to be very motivated to beat us. It's not like they don't have talent (see David Wunderlich article). However, I believe that CM will have our guys ready to play and our defense will be too much for their inexperienced QB.

• Agree Agree x 1