Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Righteous Gemstones

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Oct 20, 2019.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Another one of my favorite characters is "Baby Billy" Freeman played by Walton Goggins and he wasn't even in the first episode.

2. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    Mr Goggins is a fine actor. Loved his character in Justified.

3. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

He's been playing the same guy since Foot Fist Way, but somehow it always works.

4. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

I haven't seen the whole show, but I've seen that clip, and I was dying.

5. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I’ve watched a couple more episodes and the thing I can’t figure out is how did this family become so successful with three idiot kids running around screwing things up. I get that it’s a TV show but is there an episode that covers this? It would be one think if these were trust fund kids but we supposed to believe they are running a billion dollar level organization?

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Although Danny McBride's character in the Righteous Gemstones is very similar to the characters that he has played in his other series, the difference between the Righteous Gemstones and his other shows, Eastbound and Down and Vice Principals is that his character in Righteous Gemstones isn't nearly as significant as characters in the two other series, Danny Powers and Neal Gamby.

7. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    "It is easy with the bible to pretend that your are in show biz" -- FZ

My grandmother, before we knew she was suffering from dementia, would watch the TV evangelists and send in her "love donations" because she had forgotten she had just done the same thing an hour or two ago. Day after day. We had to put her into an ACLF. How much y'all wanna bet the TV preacher refunded the "love donations"? If your answer is zero you would be correct.

It's a big market that can easily be exploited, especially now that we baby boomers are getting long in the jaw. No way would a TV preacher exploit a market for fun and profit in the name of the lord. Right Bakker? Right Graham? Right Osteen?

Y'all can PM me for where to send my referral fees for tipping y'all off. Don't expect the current administration to do a dayumm thing about it.

8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My impression is that the public personas of the sons, Jesse and Kelvin, were as men of the Lord following in their father's footsteps. Behind the scenes they are self-absorbed idiots who really didn't have much of a role in the business side of the organization. As far as Judy is concerned, she didn't really have a public profile like her brothers which really pissed her off.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    May I present to you: Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump. The first was considered too stupid to charge with a crime he committed. And people often view him as the smarter one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I get that the brothers are the "talent" and aren't running the business but they are the face of the organization. I don't think you could count on those two to be the face of an organization and have it not blow up in their faces until now.

11. scamgtr

scamgtr Senior

Feb 3, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    So let me get this straight you’re struggling with suspension of disbelief in a satirical comedy but with everything else going on in real life you’re taking it at face value?

Pick your battles, I guess?

12. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The Trump's aren't dependent on the public believing anything about Eric and Don Jr. The vast majority of the public, both right and left, know what the Trump family is. Just enough people decided that was still better than Hillary Clinton.

I take it from the lack of response, there is not an episode about how Eli established a mega church with his wife released yet. If the success of Eli is very recent and this family did not grow up with a lot of money and have just come into it, I could see how that would work. If not, I just see those two idiots behavior could be kept under warps until just now. From what I've seen so far, it seems to allude to them having money for a long time.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. scamgtr

scamgtr Senior

Feb 3, 2010
    Stuart, FL
    My criticism is tongue-in-cheek; you do have a lot of thoughtful posts that do make me think. You are a lot more rigorous and provide solid back up for your ideas.

To your question, there is one episode that goes into some of the events between Baby Billy, Eli, and Aimee-Leigh in 1989 that sets up the back story of why Eli and Baby Billy don’t get along.

However, in 1989 they are already fairly successful with a large production studio and already seem pretty successful. So in Season 1 we never really see them starting out. Spoiler alert, even as kids Jessie and Judy are terrible people.

I think the reason they are able to be so successful is because the insular nature of their operation. I think that the lack of outsider access and willingness of people around them to cover up for them is what keeps it looking clean on the outside.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This clip is mentioned in the OP's link. It's from 2015 but it was my first time seeing it. It's pretty awesome. The bit on the 37 letters he got from the Televangelist is hilarious, but sad when you think that crap really works.

John Oliver ... Not Safe For Work.

15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

You can't put the Graham's in the same sentence as Osteen and Baaker. Billy Graham lived in the same modest farm house for his entire adult life, and took a smaller salary than most of us common folk. I am not a fan of his son pining for Trump, but he also lives a modest financial lifestyle outside of his personal book deals I believe.
    Graham's crusades are always free to attend. Osteen sells tickets...just as an example.