Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Real Lord of the Flies

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by SeabudGator, May 9, 2020.

1. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I have always been troubled by people who always assume the worst about their fellow man. I believe deeply that individuals can be bad AND that societies can become evil (often thru bigotry or extreme religion). However, the arc of history is long and it bends toward justice. (read "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Pinker for scholastic proof).

For decades, the Lord of the Flies has been thrust onto society as a story illustrating the animal inherent to humans. I have always considered it to be overly dark and negative. While I believe such a result might happen, many people seem to think this is what would happen. Turns out that when a real lord of the flies situation happened, the young men did wonderfully.
    The real Lord of the Flies: what happened when six boys were shipwrecked for 15 months

In these days of Covaid, nationalism, folks getting killed jogging, and political division, I thought folks might enjoy a story that illustrates the better angels of our nature.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Good read.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    I believe that without reservation. Particularly here in America, there is an abundance of goodness and good deeds. HOWEVER, a few leaders stoking our baser mature can cause great harm. I think that has happened under Trump, and if he's elected to a second term, the harm will last for generations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    That story might make a good modern movie, one with a good ending.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    LOTF made an impact on me reading as a teen. It’s imagery stayed with me. I think it’s spot on about that middle school age. Maybe not in life and death terms but in terms of bullying, setting up elaborate rules only to argue about them, and learning to live with consequences of the end of childhood. It’s brilliant.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    The other night we were talking about required reading books that actually made an impact and we enjoyed. LOTF was one.

On the opposite end was Catcher in the Rye. I know it's a classic but I hated it. I've probably read it 5 times in my life to try and see what I was missing. Still hate it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I never got anything out of it either. Serial killers seem to like it. I never liked other young adult fiction like The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged either.

Lord of the Flies, though, was good.

• Like Like x 2
  8. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    For 3 1/2 years people have been forced to listen to the negative aspect of society as if it is the standard behavior that we all support. Led by Trump, a minority class believes that their failure to see the positives of an empathetic and caring society justifies their need for self fulfillment and to truly believe they have the right to take away the biggest reason the USA exists and that is to have open arms. You are 100 percent correct that there are, by a massive percentage, so many good people that we cross everyday and at one time the bad people actually tried to be civil in public. That has changed and I think most of America is tired of the Trump story line. I expect that my final words will never hit home to his supporters but I say this from deep in my soul, you should be ashamed for the depth of your conviction to Trump. It is one thing to support change in a minimal degree, as that is what has kept stability in this country, the exceptions such as civil rights and women's rights were necessary simply to give what should always have been but to use cheap slogans (draining the swamp) and stoking completely negative causes simply cannot be allowed to continue. Trump has used the system to promote an idea of America that never existed to most of Americans so it will not take a grass roots uprising to end it. It will simply take people voting. The numbers have always been there and the obvious is clear no matter how desperate the negative people think they have numbers. They don't. Time for a positive and caring country to return and that needs to start in the White House.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Honestly that's why I've read it so many times. I was intrigued by serial killers and assassins and such liking it. I guess killers just like whiny, angsty teens.

10. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    A small group of pre-pubescent boys bonding and adventuring, sure, I can see it. Age them 10 years, and throw some girls into the mix. Same result? Doubtful.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I watched the Lord of the Flies movie before I read the book. That scene with the boulder stuck with me for a while.

12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Biggest reason US exists is to have open arms....uhhhh...no

13. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    Your right. My bad. I meant open farms! You are for that aren't you? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Excellent story. Says much about the depth of the human spirit and our ability to adapt, get along, and even prosper.

15. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    The Giver was my favorite at age 12. Need to read it again as I sure it shaped some views for me that I can’t appreciate two decades later.

• Like Like x 2
  16. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for this story!

17. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    The “come on man” shows that your insight and eloquence in expressing it are simply beyond the comprehension of some hollow souls. Trump and his hollow “come on man” followers are leading America away from our ideals and to ruin. BYW, my daughter sent this to me, and I was wondering where to post it. This is the perfect place.
    Opinion | McDonald’s Workers in Denmark Pity Us

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Beelzebub

19. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    I read Tropic of Cancer when I was 13. I haven't been the same since.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Thank you for posting this. It was an enlightening story. There's a lot of goodness in humanity. I try to see the best in people until they prove me wrong. I wish more of our leaders focused on what unifies us and what we share instead of our differences, and I wish our leaders focused on bringing out the good in all of us, instead of appealing to us at our worst.

• Agree Agree x 1