Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The racist backlash to The Little Mermaid and Lord of The Rings is exhausting and extremely predicta

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Sep 17, 2022.

1. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta immediately comes to mind. A great actress, but her accent was so fake it almost ruined the movie for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    Sadly, it really doesn't.

3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Come to think of it, that blonde curly haired girl from Ozark played Anna Sorokin (Russian / German) using an accent that I found horribly annoying. It was like 1980s valley girl with a hint of Indian ...

4. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Same with Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love, in my opinion

5. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Won an Oscar, but we know why. And I don't mean that to slight her - she was the victim, even if she is weird, or maybe that helped cause her weirdness

6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought that, too. He was born in NY and moved to Australia when he was in his early teens.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Actually, no idea what you mean. I think she acted well in that movie. It was just painfully obvious she was an American faking an English accent.

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You can glean it from these two articles which were published before you got convicted. Harvey basically muscled through Oscars for SIL for everything, including Gwyneth, largely because it was good for him but also because he had assaulted her, but thought that it would show that if you played ball with him, you'd get the Oscar. He would always use her later as the example of the good things that could happen to an actress if she went along. Every time he would try to say it wasn't right, it was that actresses went along with him because he was such a starmaker, that was his main example.

Again, I don't blame her.

Shakespeare in Love and Harvey Weinstein’s Dark Oscar Victory
    Harvey Weinstein Reemerges to Fuss About Gwyneth’s Shakespeare in Love Anecdote

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. jhenderson251

Aug 7, 2008
    Yeah, but Gwyneth Paltrow is awful in a lot of movies, IMO. #HotTake?

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Robert Downey Jr. in those Sherlock Holmes movies. His english accent was so bad I couldn't understand what he was saying half the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. latergatercg

latergatercg Sophomore

Jun 8, 2023
    Black women honestly. And I don't care either way. But I think it's just a matter of time before the backlash will come.

And the issue isn't Hollywood being reluctant to do Black Hero with White female couples, although that is probably true, also. But Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel, two of the biggest action stars, are both Black for example. And two upcoming MCU releases Blade w/ Mahershala Ali and Captain America with Anthony Mackie will have have white female leads.

I think Hollywood doesn't want use women who look African (for lack of a better term) opposite handsome White men. And that's because they don't think it viewers will like it. And it's pretty obvious what they are doing.

12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That was Julia Garner, who was great in the criminally underappreciated The Assistant. I don't know that I fault her for having a terrible accent in that series, as the whole point was that she was trying to pretend to be from somewhere else than where she actually grew up. I think that's why the accent was was be deliberately a little bit off.

I analogize it to another criminally underrated movie "Bad Times at the El Royale", in which I was going crazy because Jon Hamm was supposedly playing a traveling salesman from the South but had the most ham-fisted fake southern accent. I couldn't believe how bad an accomplished actor like Hamm was until you learn later on (spoiler alert), that his character is undercover, from a different part of the country, trying to pretend. And that he is not supposed to be especially competent. Hence, the bad accent, which was then "perfect".

13. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, after I posted that I realized I've never heard the real Anna Sorokin speak, so maybe she nailed it. She got some major award nominations for that show, and it was pretty good. Her accent just grated on my nerves.

Edit: Alright, I take it back ... she was pretty close ...

'I deserve a second chance': Anna Sorokin says she has regrets - Bing video

• Like Like x 1
  14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    That would make it a good english accent. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Come to think of it, Ben Affleck’s accent in Shakespeare in Love was far worse. It’s like he wasn’t even trying.

16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    New opportunity to listen to her voice. Think I’ll pass

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    People like to make things about race because it's easy. I don't like a bunch of Disney's remakes but one that I thought was excellent was the live action Mulan. The cartoon was good but the live action one was better I thought. Maybe being asian isn't the preferred minority.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gotta take issue with this one. As a hillbilly with 99% of the family still in the hills, she would fit right in in a trailer park in the coalfields of VA. I was surprised to find out she was a NotOneOfUs. Some of the other locals were a little forced, although pretty good overall. Timothy Oliphant in Justified comes to mind when I think of a N1OU. A for effort, but dude, you ain't from around here. Love both of those shows, BTW.

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have not seen anyone argue that any single person's dislike of the movie can only be attributed to racism. I have seen many people argue that the substantial financial underperformance of the movie is likely due at least in part to racism. And they have strong evidence for that conclusion.

You will note that this thread started in September 2022, talking about a backlash to the movie, which would not release for approximately 9 more months. That backlash was based upon the trailer, which showed a black actress. Hard to believe that they were effectively extrapolating to the quality of the movie as a whole when they started that backlash. And there has been coordinated review bombing which has been documented by the online services. And of course it has underperformed even other mediocre Disney live action films that were much less reviewed.

That's not necessarily dispositive, although I don't know how you ever amass dispositive evidence about the decisions of millions not to consume a specific piece of media. But there's plenty of evidence that there was a very coordinated and massive racist backlash to the casting. It began long before these people had seen the movie, when they had only seen a trailer.

Parenthetically, I have seen summary articles that attribute the underperformance in the Asian market to racism. They point to a few articles supporting the conclusion. Obviously I'm not commenting specifically on the underperformance in those markets, because I don't know enough about that culture. But based upon living in this country all my life and being familiar with this culture, I certainly think it's plausible if not likely that racism is playing a very significant role at the meta level.

I have not seen the movie. Disney live action remakes are typically mediocre, so I would not be surprised if I agreed that the movie was not worth the money. I certainly haven't spent money on it yet. But we're talking about population wide behavior, not individual behavior. That's a completely different analysis.