Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Quest For One Thousand

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MadduxFanII, Feb 26, 2020.

2020's Thousand-Yard Receiver

1. Kyle Pitts

19 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Trevon Grimes

22 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Kadarius Toney

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jacob Copeland

7 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Nobody - the streak continues

43 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yards receiving, that is.

Believe it or not, we haven't had a receiver register more than a thousand receiving yards since 2002 - Taylor Jacobs, to be precise. We've had some guys come close - Chad Jackson in 2005, Dallas Baker in 2006, Riley Cooper in 2009, Harvin in 2007 if he doesn't miss two games with migraines. But from 2010-2017 we were hampered by rank incompetence, and in 2005-2009 we had too much talent for one receiver to really dominate.

We're probably not going to be a factory turning out 1,000-yard receivers under Dan Mullen, especially once Mullen gets the offense running the way he wants. But without a mobile quarterback and with questions about the effectiveness of the running game going into 2020, we could be looking at another year where we have a pass-heavy offense behind Trask and some good receivers. So is there a chance someone could eclipse the 1,000-yard mark this year?

The candidates! Then, vote in the poll.

Kyle Pitts
    54 catches, 649 yards in 2019

On the plus side, Pitts might well end up the best tight end in the nation next year, and when he's playing well he's essentially uncoverable. He can get a ton of easy catches and cheap yards, just from catching a bunch of simple hitch routes over the middle of the field. Probably going to be the go-to guy for Trask next year, which can inflate the numbers. Fast and athletic enough to pick up some yards after catch.

On the down side, it's hard for college tight ends to reach 1,000 yards. While he's fast for a tight end, he's not going to pick up a ton of huge gains - he essentially averaged 12 yards a catch last year, and he would need to catch 84 passes at that rate to eclipse 1,000 yards. That would almost certainly garner him a ton of defensive attention, especially on third downs.

Trevon Grimes
    33 catches, 491 yards in 2019

On the plus side, huge talent - top-notch high school recruit, great size, good speed. He can make big plays down the field, which helps with the chunks of yards needed to reach 1,000. Probably going to be the go-to guy down the field, so he'll have lots of chances to make big plays in the passing game.

Not a ton of down sides here - Grimes has all the talent to be a 1,000-yard receiver, and there's no particular reason he can't be. Just a matter of getting opportunities, and he should have them if the offense resembles 2019 at all.

Jacob Copeland
    21 catches, 273 yards in 2019

Again, big talent. Highly regarded high school player, won him away from Alabama in a recruiting battle. Good speed and explosiveness, plenty of opportunities for YAC. Due for increased playing time and opportunities.

On the down side, he struggled with drops and inconsistency last year. Not a big deal from a redshirt freshman receiver, but just speaking statistically, you can't afford a lot of "two receptions, 10 yards" performances if you're trying to get over 1,000 yards. Probably our third or fourth option unless he really breaks out, which is possible.

Kadarius Toney
    10 catches, 194 yards in 2019

Explosiveness. Averaged 19.4 yards for reception last year, and he has the ability to take a simple, high-percentage throw and convert it into huge yardage. A wide receiver screen is (almost) a 100-percent catch-and-throw, and Toney always has the potential to turn it into a 50-yard gain. He can put up the "two catches, 90 yards" games that help you reach 1,000 yards on the season without huge catch totals.

On the down side...just probably not going to happen. Three years in college, never more than 260 yards receiving in a season. It's hard to see him putting up the week-in, week-out solid numbers required to hit 1,000 yards. I'm a Toney fan and I think he gets a bad rap on GC, but you need to be a more consistent part of the passing game to pick up those sorts of numbers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I think our best reciever will be Kirby Smart. As in reciev'n this ass whoop'n! Lol

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    With experience at a premium, both Pitts or Grimes could be the 1,000 yard men. They should both be targeted enough to do it with some good downfield blocking from other receivers. Our running game’s success, both staying healthy and YAC are the determining factors.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Toney gets so much after the catch I’d want to say him but he also doesn’t get the ball nearly as much as he should, so I won’t.

Seriously. Give the ball to Toney.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Taylor Jacobs....... give that guy some Candi....oh wait....nevermind:devil::ninja3:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Legend

Jun 13, 2017
    Based on the title, I thought you were monitoring my post count. 16 to go!

Trask is really good at spreading the love so to speak. But I think Grimes will get enough “go to” passes, that with his talent he’ll get to 1K.

(Edited for count accuracy.)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadduxFanII

Apr 10, 2007
    Don’t worry. I’m monitoring everything about you.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. hhpgator

hhpgator GC Legend

Jun 13, 2017
    If I don’t get there, know I came off my meds!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    All of them!

10. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    I would gladly take a 1,000 yard Receiver OR Rusher. C-4 was the last one to do it in 2004.

11. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Gillislee did it in 2012

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. MadduxFanII

Apr 10, 2007
    So did Kelvin Taylor in 2015, though it was one of the least impressive thousand-yard seasons I can remember (in fairness, he got no help from the offensive line that year).

13. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    haha you're right that was unforgettable, I completely forgot about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    I vote nobody. Mullen wants to spread the ball around and have a bunch of receivers involved in the offense. I think it's highly unlikely that a single receiver makes it to 1000...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    I think it's very likely that we once again don't have a 1,000+ pass receiver. Pitts and Grimes would be the most likely candidates and they might even get close, but I just think the throws are still going to be split between too many guys for anyone to get 1,000+.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Mullen will definitely spread the ball around...

The bigger question is...
    Will Trask hit the 3 000 yard mark?

17. MadduxFanII

Apr 10, 2007
    One of the reasons I think there's a shot at it this year is that it looks like there's a noticeable gap between Pitts/Grimes and the other receivers. Our receiving corps this past year was really good and really deep, but we didn't have a single dominant guy - we had a bunch of receivers of broadly similar quality. Going into 2020, we have Pitts, then Grimes, then some guys who are really talented but largely unproven as volume pass catchers.

If we have a pass-heavy offense again, I could see a ton of passes being funneled to Pitts and Grimes.

18. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I saw 3 receivers capable of dominating a game and an up and coming youngster with more speed than the first 3. Jefferson, Pitts and Grimes had the ability and Copeland will get his opportunities in ‘20. Hammond and Swain were money as well. Alabama, LSU and Clemson were the only teams I saw with more big play receivers and IMO that was because all 3 had better OL play with the ability to run effectively plus all-world QB’s.

19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Mullen likes to spread the ball around. We could have easily had a 1,000 yard receiver last year if one guy was the predominant target. 700 yards each from Pitts, Copeland, and Grimes would be a better goal, in my opinion. Toney will add a few hundred more for good measure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I would think Toney to be a big target this year. Copeland should emerge as well. He has some outstanding flashes of greatness last year. Albeit, a bit inconsistent and I bet consistency changes his whole deal this year. I'm hoping that someone we're not counting on steps it up too...must be a true pearl among the newcomers.;)

Go Gators!:)

• Agree Agree x 1