Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Queen's Jubilee

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Jun 3, 2022.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    I don’t put it as “they knew what they were signing up for” per se. Of course, that’s exactly true for those who marry into the royal family, but those who are born into it have a somewhat different choice. David and later Margaret both wanted something that both the government and church they represent was not consistent with their respective stations. Both tried to argue and negotiate their way out of it instead of just complying, and eventually both were faced with the choice of leaving if what they wanted was so important to them. David decided to abdicate but then spent most of the rest of his life trying to get back in. Margaret decided she couldn’t leave all of the privileges but spent the next decades acting out over the matter. Charles, too, could presumably have left it all behind if Camilla was more important than the money, trips, hunting, and leisure. But he didn’t. He, too, acted out until he got his way. And that’s a large part of why people don’t like him.

2. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think he would have to experience his unpopularity before he decided to turn it over to his son. Charles has done some useful things for England behind the scenes (supported more eco-friendly ways of living, etc.), and I'm sure he thinks that will improve his popularity, but I suspect he's over-estimating the impact of these things compared to the celebrity of the next generation.

3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    I think whatever happens goes on without our knowing it and is relatively discrete. During the weekly meeting with the PM, for instance, I could see said PM not really taking the matter seriously and just going through the motions. We would never know if that were the case. The coronation and investiture (for the new Prince of Wales) might be much more muted events, but most people won’t remember the difference with the last ones. William might be asked to do many of the ceremonies that the King normally does, but we will be told it’s because Charles is so old and William needs to be groomed. Stuff like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    One unusual tradition that is expected to continue with the coronation of King Charlie is the consumption of lamprey pie. Yep, that hideous creature that attaches itself to other fish has been considered a delicacy since the middle ages. And they get their lamprey from Michigan, since England ran out of them many years ago. It's an invasive species in the U.S.

Michigander plans shipping invasive species to England for new king's pie

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    If memory serves, King Henry I choked to death on a lamprey pie leaving a succession crisis and civil-war period known as the Anarchy. Very similar to the Dance of Dragons in the new GoT series.

6. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    One of the Queen's accomplishments was the encouragement of religious tolerance in England. She had several meetings with popes, and hosted the first visit by a pope to Britain in 1982. She was also the first reigning monarch of Britain to visit Ireland (2011), which is surprising to me. She has been supportive of the Jewish community in England, and even visited Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in 2015.

No doubt one result of all this religious tolerance is a thriving community of immigrants in England, including a large Indian community.

Queen Elizabeth II ascended to the throne at a time of deep religious divisions and worked to bring tolerance

7. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Funny story about the queen's friendship with a California cowboy.

Queen Elizabeth II had an unlikely friendship with a California cowboy

8. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    This has to be the most unintentionally hilarious auto-teletype ever played over a funeral eulogy, much less the Queen of England's funeral. You can tell something is not right when the teletype under the video quotes the minister at the funeral saying "I'm for the rich buns of unity and mutual support she sustained." Don't be talking about the queen's buns! She was 96! The voice actually said "bonds", not "buns". Then there is "Camilla consult William Prince of Wales and old the royal family". It's "all", not "old". Then Moana of Disney cartoon movie fame became part of the ceremony with the classic "The late, most high, most mighty, and most excellent Moana..." I think the voice said "monarch"--I'm fairly certain Moana was not mentioned. A deaf person would get something totally different from this broadcast than a hearing person. This is headed for SNL for sure.

Queen Elizabeth II's funeral service: 5 key takeaways and moments

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting story about the sailors pulling the artillery carriage with the coffin on top. This tradition started with Queen Victoria, who died on the Isle of Wight in the dead of winter. Her body was brought back on a ship, and an artillery carriage with horses was arranged to transport the coffin to the railway, but it was so cold that the horses refused to pull it. Someone in charge decided that that the Royal Guard from another ship could pull the gun carriage with ropes, which they did. The granddaughter of the queen observed that "the Royal Artillery, responsible for the horses and the gun carriage, 'were furious... humiliated beyond words' by the incident."

State funeral of Queen Victoria - Wikipedia

Also curious about Queen Victoria is that she had two near-assassinations, and she apparently enjoyed them, because of the outpouring of love and sympathy they brought her from the public.

Queen Victoria - Wikipedia

11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007

12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    “I say, old top, one dressed all in black can look like one is on the way to a funeral of another one.”

“Maybe I am.”

13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Queen Elizabeth arrives in Norfolk