Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Queen's Jubilee

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by cocodrilo, Jun 3, 2022.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We watched both Victoria and The Crown, and others. The Crown especially made me appreciate that the monarchy has more of an impact on the world affairs than I previously appreciated. Not that that made me a fan of the monarchy but I became a bit more interested. Plus it seems to have a fast hold on so many Americans for reasons I don’t completely understand

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I agree. I don't even understand the adulation by the Brits, much less Americans.
    Monarchy is a truly odd institution. I don't know if it's been the most common form of governing for man .... probably more common than democracy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Do you not understand to whom this turnover is supposed to be? The real-life Joffrey man-child is about to take the throne. I wonder if the enterprise can survive it. I understand that the monarch is largely symbolic, but would you want Charles as your symbol? The death of Elizabeth might be a good opportunity to sunset the monarchy with dignity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I just like all the ceremony and hoopla when big stuff happens. I don’t really care about the monarchy.

5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    First, sad news but at her age it is unfortunately inevitable. Many people like the drama and intrigue around the crown. Helps that the younger ones are good looking guys with beautiful wives. I dont mind the symbolism for England... its a fun show like the changing of the guard. I also would have the crown skip a generation to shore up it's popularity if I was in charge as mentioned up stream.

6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Agree. Still can't get that tampon comment out of my head. Hoping his reign will be short.

7. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Even if they don’t skip a generation he’s got what probably 10-15 years on the crown before he’s gone? Maybe a bit longer if he’s a lizard person too. But it won’t be that long.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Charles will be a wise and just king. He's known to be a man of sound judgment and impeccable taste. Like who would want Diana, a beautiful lady and the mother of his children, when he could have Camilla? No contest.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter!

I know it's Too Hot and stuff, but just a thought. He just lost his Mum, to whom he was really close. Maybe give him a day or two before resorting to taking the piss out of him? o_O

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There are some stupid Americans here that just don't understand how much The Queen loved the U.S.A..

11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    I thought she was close with Andrew and distant/business-like with Charles.

12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    That’s funny, I don’t care who you are!!!

13. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    That may have changed after Andrew's visits to Epstein Island became public knowledge.

14. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Knowing that, he's probably feeling a great sense of urgency to make his mark. I believe Edward VII did the same after Victoria died.

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just like there are those who just don't understand that Donald Trump doesn't give a crap about the U.S.A. He just wants to be king of it.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Trump was a ruthless dictator who crushed democracy and help America is a vice grip. So they cancelled him on Twitter and voted him out.

17. Shade45

Shade45 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    RIP to her.

18. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Someone fill me in, because I really don't keep up with the monarchy. What's the issue with Charles? Like why do people dislike him?

I get it, the cheating on Princess Diana, the inbred face, etc. But I haven't read much as to what makes him so reviled? Goofy? Yes. But otherwise, I don't get it.

19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Just my two cents, but I think this is the sense of it:

The monarchy is kind of a social contract with the people. We, the people, are going to work, pay your bills, and play a great charade where we act like you’re special and have awesome power over us as it was in the days old. You, the monarchy, are going to have great wealth, lots of privileges, travel opportunities most people only dream of, the ability to meet fancy people all over the world, and all of this only as a function of your birth, no requirement for any actual talent, work ethic, etc. In return, though, you need to give us people an ideal to look up to. You don’t engage in scandalous behavior. You make appearances at places you’d rather not go, meet people you’d rather not meet, keep your opinions to yourself, and generally live a scripted life. Yes, that means not having many of the freedoms that common people enjoy, but we’ve already discussed the many things you get to enjoy that the common people never will. That’s the deal, and the more you whine about the parts of the deal you don’t like (while continuing to indulge in the parts that you do like), the more we, the people, grumble, “Why do we keep up this charade again?”

Royals, such as Charles, bring on the ire of the people when they whine about or try to weasel out of the elements of the deal they don’t like. Charles’ great uncle David was unloved for the same reasons. Harry has also gone a long way down that path. Frankly, Prince Phillip needed to be reined in during the late 50s, and Margaret during the 70s.

I hope that helps.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Thanks! As you can probably imagine, I've never cared for royalty, and find the whole concept to be ridiculous. However, I did find Queen Elizabeth to be a great representative of the family. I just always found Charles' goofiness to be harmless, not really worth the ire of the public. But again, like you said, the family knew what they signed up for.