Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Problem w pressurng Mullen

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Oct 19, 2021.

1. swampspring

swampspring GC Hall of Fame

Dec 13, 2009
    I first gave you an "agree." Then I thought about it, and said, no this deserves a "winner." I thought even more, and realized, why am I being so damn stingy, this deserves a "Best Post Ever." Well done!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The issue with that is you need a defensive scheme that isn't dependent on being up three scores to *maybe* light up the opposing O with pressure.

Schemes have to be fundamentally sound for when the best case on the other side of the ball isn't there. Not to mention that without Greenard on the field, those pressure packages have been inconsistent at best.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. swampspring

swampspring GC Hall of Fame

Dec 13, 2009
    It's Mississippi. Probably not that hard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

I see that happening. I hate fans that boo their own team. I really do.

All Mullen needs to know is this re: LSU stats:

Emory--7 drives, 2 interceptions, one a pick six, scored 13 points.

AR- 7 drives, 2 interceptions, scored 29 points.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Great post and analysis

6. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    At this point are we dealing with a Narcissistic personality disorder?
    The answer is blatantly clear. Your own job hangs in the balance. But you won't pull the trigger on making the change because you would in essence be admitting you were wrong. Oh, God forbid.
    There must be something, because this defies all logic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Maroon_Gator

Maroon_Gator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    There's no problem with pressuring Mullen at this point because he can't ignore the results and he's out of excuses. If he doesn't want to make the obvious changes and would rather bail, he would be doing us and the program a favor.

With that being said, I'm going to assume that this is Grantham's last season in control of the defense and that Richardson is the starting QB the remainder of the season unless he gets injured or something.

8. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    When our opponents are in third and 15, how confident is anyone here that we will get the stop. Personally, I have 0 confidence and expect them to get it every time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    if you are paying someone 1.8 million a year then there has to be accountability-

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I pray your assumption is right, if not he will probably lose the credibility of the team and fan Base!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    2 nightmare scenarios crossed my mind today. They’re not necessarily likely but thought of either nearly put me into therapy for the day.

1- by some miracle of miracles we somehow win in jax and the defense , however unlikely, is a large part of the reason. It’s better than even odds that’s enough for Dan to rationalize keeping tg

2- and even more disturbing. Dan doesn’t address the 3 main areas we all see he needs to address (recruiting/playing players with most upside ,mainly qb/ and staff positions that need to be augmented). What my mind went to is imagine he doesn’t fix , then leads to his dismissal down the line , and in a worst of worst case scenarios a shrewd coach like dabo or Saban money whip his ass to come run an offense with the best players in the country. I agree it’s not likely that he’d spin his wheels for a year or two at a coor pos but it’s not impossible that a dude that doesn’t enjoy recruiting would slow play the next head coaching gig until what he wanted came along and just call plays for a minute or two. You pair that man with Uber elite talent and he runs roughshod over the entire Country.

The man is good enough to win in a big way. Guess that’s what makes this situation so frustrating.

12. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor All American

Aug 16, 2010
    100% agree, but isn't that again on the coaching? And if the person can't perform that is on the coaches to next man up.

13. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Your last part is truly exemplary of where we are as a program and how far that is from the 2000s. LSU fires a national title winning coach 2 years removed because they know he can no longer pull the rabbit out of the hat and they need a different direction. If you objectively look at his recruiting, overall record, and record against top teams, it’s actually really good. Better than Mullen. And he beat Mullen h2h. But for LSU that’s not good enough.

Meanwhile completely choking twice in a season, playing bad defense, and “making it close” with an NFL receiving core and Heisman caliber QB is considered enough to let almost the whole staff run it back.

And now that things are predictably falling apart because of the inability to make good staff and roster decisions, he still has leeway because he “almost did” 50 things. We’re becoming the national champs of almost. Embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Ok but personnel on the field isn’t decided by players. I agree with Gator Nation Football Podcast, not even trying to throw the kitchen sink at that counter is solely on Grantham. Not a single goal line formation until they got to the goal line and we stopped them for 3 plays. Make them beat us in the air. Take Trey Dean off the field. Add DL and LB instead of playing nickel. But none of that happened. Guys shouldn’t need to make hero tackles against a RB with a full head of steam because the DL isn’t properly setup to give any resistance.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    This one has crossed my mind as well. Maybe the defense doesn't "win" it, but maybe the don't lose it, and the Gators come away with an unlikely win. Dan keeps TG onboard for 2022. I'd rather lose a close one than win a close one if that win is tied to keeping TG for another year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    If y’all haven’t read the “Maine coaches etc etc “ thread you absolutely should. It’s a gc insider that growl got permission to post in here. It’s troubling to read some of our fears affirmed like that. The section on insider info about Emory not being the best qb in practice for some time now along with McGee having been asking dor a change at qb is troubling. Y’all should check it out. It’s a big read but it reinforces the things we’ve said here dor a while

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Several fall camp reports said AR was by far the better QB in the scrimmage’s and that there was a disagreement among the staff on who the starter should be. I took that as McGhee probably wanted it to be AR and Dan insisted it be EJ.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill Senior

Feb 7, 2018
    Wow, I think I’d go with AR.

19. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    I don't see it as pressuring so much as holding accountable. This isn't pop warner football.

Most want Dan to be successful. I know I do. I really think he has got to find the right coaches to take some of the burden off of him, including calling plays. Not that he would completely remove himself from offense or anything, but he has to start acting the part of a CEO. While you can be friends with the coaches under you, you really can't be best buddies.

This is the time to determine how his head coaching career will be remembered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. stevethegator

stevethegator Freshman

Oct 16, 2021
    Well some people still want to hire Kiffen and he failed at not one, but two top jobs already