Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The polarization of America is breaking my heart

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by lacuna, Feb 21, 2020.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Maynard was correct. When there's one they're bound to divide it right in two. Silly monkeys. Angels are on the sidelines baffled and confused. Puzzled and amused.

2. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    More false equivalency.

3. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    What is George Soros doing that you think is cheating?

4. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    By we I assume you mean those of particular persuasion be it religious, political etc....
    As for your take on the pols I couldn't agree with you more. As long as people are pointing the finger at everyone else but themselves they are all but guaranteed their seat of power. President Trump is the outlier whether we see that again this election cycle remains to be seen. With that said regardless if President Trump is re-elected which looks very promising at the moment I don't expect any of this to stop. I see the double / triple down as you state.

Funny thing about our rights. I had a very good civics teacher in high school that explained to the class that rights are not something given to you they are something you take. No one cares if they trample on your rights especially if you don't choose to exercise them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Jackson with twitter could have been pretty ugly too.

6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    One example:

McCain-Feingold legislation placed limits on donations to a candidate from a single individual or organization, in an attempt at campaign finance reform. Soros formed a network of organizations (ACORN is one of them) that allowed him virtually unlimited donations to political candidates. To me, that's cheating.

7. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Way to couch that. No one likes PACs except those who give to and receive from them but they are legal and used extensively by Trump as well as some democrats too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. flg8rfan

flg8rfan All American

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    Present.

9. flg8rfan

flg8rfan All American

Jun 15, 2007
    Gainesville
    Abortion is a deal breaker for a lot of people on both sides, it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    George Soros did not form ACORN. You've been reading some weird right wing stuff. Rule of thumb -- if you see something in your right wing media about Soros, it's not true. For example, Soros did not fund the immigrant caravans in Mexico. That's just right wing anti Semitic crap you've been reading and, unfortunately, believing.

But as far as funding PACs and whatnot, far as I know it's all fair game, and that's what you right wingers wanted. Unlimited money in politics. I'm sure you're fine with the Koch Bros. Are they cheating too?

• Like Like x 1
  11. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    If you want to see unity in this country again, back YOUR dogs off.

It is the neo-progs who champion an ever insidious, invasive government to trespass on sacred personal turf reserved for individual freedom.

You lament the loss of unity....I lament the loss of the fundamental apprecitation of freedom that was the foundational principle uoon which this nation was founded, amonst such a large contingent of our population.

What you decry as divisiveness, is the natural reaction of freedom loving ppl, when their freedom is threatened.

OWKA pushback.

My ppl. (Cuban) are permanently divided--bc those of us who treasure freedom, can not abide by the feeble minded fools who would put their faith in omnipotent government.

TBL--Better to be divided and free, than united, as mere subjects of the next tyranny du jure, bc someone foolishly figures this time, it'll be different.

Nope.

Concentrate power, and bank on its rampant abuse.

C'est la vie.

12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    The best part is that because Trump is in office, some can act as if they are above being all about party and simply blame it on Trump and his followers undying love for him. It's a sweet act until your side wins again and then the cloak comes off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    That's what's so scary - not their position on abortion, but the fact that they'd condition their vote on that issue alone.

14. wgbgator

wgbgator Tiny "Boop Squig" Shorterly Premium Member

Most people's views on abortion are commensurate with their larger views on things, even if they claim to be single issue voters.

15. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just sayin'

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Disagree.

Pols want power and $$$.

Libs want to believe their empty promises,

Cons dont believe them, and want to be free to do what we do, without govmt telling us when to jump, and how high..

17. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Is their something more important than life itself?

Do share...

18. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Or we could gather around the campfire and in unison sing "Lock Her Up", or the Johnny Lang classic "Lie to Me".

19. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    Yes, but I'm not going to debate you other than to ask that you abandon for a moment the high and mighty attitude and think about capital punishment, war and the absurd proliferation of guns in America, all of which you may support.

20. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    Perhaps, but my wife is Catholic, and I've gone to bible study with her. I have found most Catholics to be left leaning in their views, but many will not vote for a candidate who shares their "larger views" if that candidate supports freedom of choice. (NOTE: freedom of choice is NOT pro abortion.)

On a personal note, my wife of 53 years got pregnant at 42. She had and has very high blood pressure. Her doctor met with us and explained the dangers and gave us the option of an abortion. As I said, she's Catholic, and I personally oppose it. I left the decision up to her. She decided to have the baby, and all has ended marvelously. Our youngest has been an absolute joy. BUT, I resent the hell out of government or anyone interfering in the decision because their religion or moral code tells them abortion under any circumstances is a sin. It's self-righteous presumptuousness at its worst, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1