Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The polarization of America is breaking my heart

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by lacuna, Feb 21, 2020.

1. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    He’ll complain if he loses but just so he can say he is a winner. He is no ideologue. He could care less what direction the country goes he just wants admiration. No way Trump fights for anything especially 4 more years of pretending to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The parties do not oppose each other. They take turns doing the same thing. They do not undo each others' damage to the founding principles of this country. They let it stand and inflict more. It's a show like WWE. They're all playing us. But keep on believing. Keep on rooting for the good guys. There aren't any.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Agree that it was a crazy environment in the late 60s but I think there is one significant difference between then and now. Then, people were in the streets trying to change the nation for the better and, while some of the elected leaders were part of the problem, at least their rhetoric was relatively tempered compared to what Americans hear and read from politicians, today. Today, I believe the politicians words and actions are significantly contributing to the polarization and those words and actions are exacerbated by the immediate and sometimes distorted reporting of same by "sources of information" available on the web, radio, and cable TV.

4. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Legend

Feb 6, 2020
    Perhaps Americans don't perceive the issues faced today to be as significant as those faced in the 60s - Civil Rights and VietNam? Maybe the internet presents a means for "verbal violence" that was not available in the 60s, satisfying the emotional needs of those wanting to bring about change?

• Like Like x 2
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    If “pwning” libs is the reason you love trump - because he upsets liberals and you relish that I hope you’re savoring these days. Because it will never be this good again. Trump is your Saban.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There's some truth to your statement/question. The 1960s were the high point of particular types of violence and extremes in political protests and social unrest that weren't sustained in subsequent decades before the internets. However, more general everyday non-political violence and crime continued to rise for another 20-25 years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The analogy is an insult to Saban although I get what you mean.

8. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    I can certainly agree with your observation concerning polarization within our political structure. It took all of two posts for the blame game start which serves to make your point clear.

I will take it a step further and say it is not only ripping at the moral fabric of our country it is also ripping at fabric of the Constitution our nation was founded on.

From my perspective the only way to resolve the issue of polarization is we must first understand how we got to this point in the first place. In my opinion it started with a gradual decline in civility that has been building to the crescendo we are now experiencing. When it becomes chic to wear as badges of acceptance the list the organizations you belong to and mantra you follow rather than to critique your own values, make a choice and take a stand for what you truly believe in then society is lost. There is no compromise when the polarization requires total acceptance. Disagree with a single point of view within the club and you become the object of mob mentality ire and persona non grata.

Currently within our two party system Independents are growing. Independents are people who see a different way. Such people can come to compromise and combine the good from both parties into an acceptable solution. At one point there were such people in our halls of government. Sadly that is not the case any longer. Politicians such as Mr Lieberman come to mind. I certainly didn't agree with him on everything but he had sensible solutions to issues that mattered to me. I can say the same for Mr Rand Paul. Each bring to the table something worth listening to. Such politicians are few and far between which in my opinion is exactly why President Trump was elected. When such a person is not beholden to anyone and gets things done we are moving forward versus living in stagnation. For good or bad is always debatable.

Will a sense of civility return to the American culture? It is hard to say at this point but given the atmosphere, I doubt it will happen in the near future. All one need do is reference the posts on this board to get a sense of the lack of civility towards one another let alone a dysfunctional government.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    There will absolutely be more civility once Trump is gone. He kinda sets the tone for the country and he spends his mornings stress eating McGriddles on the toilet while tweeting insults at anybody who doesn’t worship him.

the day he leaves office we become immediately more civil.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    So you would be satisfied with anyone else but President Trump no matter the party and you believe we will become much more civil towards each other? Appears to me we have a host of politicians who cannot be civil to one another and this was well before President Trump arrived on the scene.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    You really think we've had a president act like this before? The insults, the pettiness?
    That said, and back to Lacuna's original premise, I hate it too and I wonder if it's gone so far that the US cannot ever be brought together again.
    And the fact is that the polarization began before Trump. As others have said, he's more a symptom than the cause. I think that boards like this probably increase. The Internet even moreso.
    Websites and airwaves that are so one-sided that they spew falsehoods which further divide people.
    I remember when the Affordable Care Act was being discussed and the phony claim was being made about death panels. My mother was in her 90s at the time, and I would have obviously been incredibly upset if Congress were about to pass a bill that would give the government the right to decide how long she would be allowed to live.
    The trouble is that misinformation like that seems to invade and infect every issue, furthering our belief that the other side is really out to destroy our way of life and everything we hold dear.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Not in my life time but historically yes. President Andrew Jackson wasn't very congenial according to historical accounts. Neither was President Lyndon B. Johnson for that matter. Lets not forget President Franklin Delano Roosevelt certainly took a despotic role with regards to abuse of power.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Andrew Jackson didn't have twitter and right wing websites. As for LBJ, no comparison to Trump there. LBJ was crass, but didn't go anywhere near as far as Trump does in attacking and villainizing the opposition and lying and spreading false information.

14. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Twitter and right wing websites matter why?
    Are you suggesting twitter and left wing websites do not exist. Some how I don't believe that is your intent. Could your intent be that possibly the left doesn't get any attention or not as much attention as right wing sites and twitter? I find that one just as hard to believe given the diversity on this board.

FDR and LBJ both had TV and radio. Andrew Jackson on the other hand wasn't as fortunate and only had to deal with the news papers across the nation.

As for false information I believe there is plenty of that to go around with regards to all of our Presidents as well as congressional representatives on all side of the spectrum.

If you cannot agree on that point then I would say you have lost all sense of objectivity. I'm certain I'll hear a but .... concerning my assessment.

15. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    GK, you are the modern day Jed! Now all you need is Cindy and something to stand on and you are good to go!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Twitter and right wing media are Trump's megaphone. LBJ, FDR and Andrew Jackson didn't have that. But there is no comparison to the divisive crap Trump says on a daily basis to anything LBJ said. Can you find me an LBJ quote where he refers to his opponents as 'scum'? Go hunt for some LBJ quotes and show me all the divisive stuff he said about Republicans and conservatives. Then I'll do the same with Trump. My list will be much longer, and more extreme, than your list.

As for false information and lying, Trump is in a universe of his own. No other president comes close. If you can't see that I'd say you have lost all sense of objectify.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    "Say it's Great. To be. A Florida Gator". "Say it's Great. To be. A Fornicator". :D:D One of his best performances ever! Didn't match up with Billy Soul's squirt gun on the nuns singing, but it was a pretty close second. :)

18. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    I knew the but .... would come as a matter of degree. I guess you don't listen to the left wing twitter or read the left wing websites enough to see the amount of hypocrisy and mendacity spewed by our media and political elites. When people are consumed by rage and hatred it is no wonder why these people have lost all sense of objectivity. Our halls of congress are in such a state as I just described and what's worse is they have a media and a populace that hangs on every lie that comes out of their mouths.

Call it the fog of war if you like. The truth of the matter is no one is giving any quarter on either side of the spectrum even when the ugliest of truths rears its head.

19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I may give one of my long winded dissertations later but for now I will just add this:

We don't care about our rights, we care about our wrongs. We yawn when someone says we have the right to ...

But if we make an assertion and we are told we are wrong, we tend to double or triple down. Why? because we don't want anyone to think they are better than us. Regardless of our takes. I recommend the book "The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion". It tries to make sense of our beliefs and why.

I would also add I do believe that the entrenched pols want things the way they are because we demonize the other side and keeps them entrenched. See the two-party system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There's also a movement in liberal circles to cheat to get what you want. Ohh, that's right, liberals don't believe that people like George Soros exist on their side.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1