Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The polarization of America is breaking my heart

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by lacuna, Feb 21, 2020.

1. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I personally think the clinton's should be locked up as well as Trump. I voted for Johnson. Didnt like him but I think the parties voted for the two most vile candidates possible. I still am not 100 percent sure we would be better off with Hillary as president.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    No I quoted it accurately. Your quote doesn't include the reference to 'special interests'. Maybe you are quoting a different speech. And the main point is that the word 'bus' does not appear in the quote. That was added by right wing media. Dog whistle stuff.

Here's the link to the actual quote:

"We can’t have special interests sitting shotgun. (Laughter.) You know, we got to have middle-class families up in front. (Applause.) We can’t -- we don't mind the Republicans joining us. They can come for the ride, but they got to sit in back. (Laughter.)"

Remarks by the President at DCCC General Reception

3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    American history is not the peaceful, kumbaya story some are presenting here. From a civil war fought over slavery to the genocide practiced against the natives, we aren't lilly clean. Trump is the worst in a while but look at our past without rose colored glasses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Even during the 60's we still had greats like Everett Dirksen. We need more of his ilk.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    We have a POTUS that is throwing gasoline on the fire NON-STOP.

he’s actively trying to divide the country.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    LAST YEAR?? I was only 62 or 63 depending on what month it was...

7. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    You can think the media mostly for this. They push all this nonsense and since Trump got elected have just took it to a crazy level. The one thing it has done that is good is make most people not take the media that serious anymore compared to years ago.

I knew we had reached an insane level when the media just before the 2016 election had articles out there saying if you were a woman and voted Trump your co-workers had ways of knowing and you would be shunned by your co-workers.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Your first paragraph has some validity but it’s more circular. Trump amps it up and then the media amps it up then Trump amps it up then the media amps it up.

Your second paragraph is made up dark net stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    No it's not that was posted all over the net pieces like that before the 2016 election. Just going to Yahoo and Google was showing the articles saying nonsense like that. I can't remember for sure where it came from - maybe Huffington Post or one of those type places.

Talking about the joke media now they decided to add Bernie to their joke Russia mess since they are hoping they can still stop him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree with a big caveat.

We have a big problem with both an ongoing trend of increasing unchecked power in the Executive branch, and a current POTUS who is abusing that power to the detriment of country and our allies, with knowing support from the Senate.

The current level of divisiveness allows that to occur and could certainly happen with a Dem POTUS as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'd argue that it was a unique combination of circumstances of the era. The social unrest after WWII was marked by the red scare and burgeoning civil rights movement in the 1950s and resistance to it, eventually overlapping with the severe discontent over Viet Nam, state violence, and the explosion of drug use, all of which came to a head in the 1960s.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Brace yourselves. I do not believe we have seen the worste of it yet.

And while polarization existed well before Trump, he has defeinitely exacerbated it and his introduction of open corruption, lawlessness, toxic communication and Putin influence into the US government has brought it to new levels, not to mention to the potential expense of Democracy itself.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Prior to Trump, polarization was how to best proceed with Democracy. With Trump, there is not just extreme polarization but a threat to Democracy itself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gator_fever

Nov 3, 2013
    It's the other side from Trump doing all the nutty mess mostly. They are so nuts you have to be on guard just for wearing a Trump related hat and are staging hoaxes blaming Trump because almost all the nutty mess is coming from the left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Last night while this thread was going the president gave a speech where, just off the top of my head, he:
    • Accused Rosie Odonell of being a crook
    • Pushed his massive followers to not watch Fox’s Neil Cavuto cuz he’s not partisan enough
    • Threatened to pull MSNBC and Comcast licenses
    • Threatened to nullify a jury
    • Demonized illegal immigrants with grisly crime stories
    • Claimed his daughter created 15m jobs while we’ve only added 7m
    • Jokingly said we should belatedly impeach Obama
    • Mocked opponents speech patterns while slurring his own speech
    I’m sure I left off more bridge building speech and love by our fear leader.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Well, that sound eerily familiar. You been asleep for the last 3 years?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Yep, we had presidents during Vietnam sending kids to die in order to secure re-election. This is child’s play in comparison.

18. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I just want a president that doesn’t offend me deeply every day.

literally anyone other than trump.

The bright side is that come 2024 (at worst) I will never be this offended by a POTUS again. I feel I can say that confidently.

Policy aside, there is simply no way a person more offensive than Trump is ever elected again. It’s not possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  19. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I've been warning people for years if not decades that there are monsters out there. They looked at me like I was crazy. Those same folks don't think I'm so crazy anymore.

To quote Kyle Reese from the movie "The Terminator"

"Listen. Understand. That Terminator is out there. It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with...it doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear...and it absolutely will not stop.Ever. Until you are (broke)."
    \

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    This isn't a system that stops when you're broke. Getting rid of certain bankruptcy options allows lenders to keep hammering already broken piggy banks to less than dust.

I understand why you didn't use the actual quotation. Your personal experience illustrates how the predatory practices of certain industries extends beyond death.