Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The polarization of America is breaking my heart

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by lacuna, Feb 21, 2020.

1. mutz87

mutz87 #stayingtf@home VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Hear Hear

• Like Like x 2
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I really think this type of comparison is just as polarizing as the scum comments.

Why do so many feel the need to try to equate everything? Someone, somewhere, at some time, has to just say, "Yep. My guy/girl did x and it was wrong." Then stop talking.

We need more grown ups (not calling you a child, Dang Ole. There must be dozens in this thread already). I feel like reading this place is like listening to my 9yo and 11yo sometimes. He hit me! She hit me first! He took my thing! She took my thing! There's no end without adult intervention and education.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Reeducation camps? C'MON, MAN!!!

4. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    While I sympathize with Lacuna and respect her thoughts on the matter I feel the sixties were worse than today. Vietnam and racial turmoil to name a couple of things which were really polarizing us. The internet has just given people more of a platform to voice their discord.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I didn't make the comparison and I'm not trying to equate Obama's political statements to what Trump is doing and saying. I am trying to draw distinctions between Trump and any president, Dem or Repub, who came before him. You are the one who is equating both sides, comparing both to children. I disagree with that. It's a false equivalency and that has been used to justify so much of what Trump has done. I think one side is clearly far worse than the other. You don't? So be it.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Feel free to cite the dozens. This thread has had mostly thoughtful responses. The few pointless ones have been made by right posters from what I see after scrolling Up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I sometimes wonder why the political violence of the 60s hasn't come back. We live in a time where the polarization is at least as high, but the willingness to commit violence is much lower. I'm grateful that it is, but I don't know why it is. And I like knowing why.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I see one solution to our problem here: President Tarponbro...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yeah, endless gridlock and polarization is so much better :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    A friend of mine and I were talking politics back in the late 1980s. I told him back then I wouldn't be surprised if we had a civil war in the next 20 years or so. He asked me why. My response was that our country had a lot of groups of people that didn't like each other and were armed to the hilt. Thank God that hasn't happened. Yet...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Not after I release this picture of you.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    "Tar
    Pon
    Bro!

Tar
    Pon
    Bro!"

MSGA! (making sanity great again). :D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    That was just a foolish indiscretion of his youth last year

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Worst part will be if Trump loses. I can’t imagine even his supporters have any faith he will hand over power graciously..

And even when he is out, unlike his predecessors, he will constantly be sewing division.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I'll put a $K on that one against you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    That is money you would lose. No way Trump would accept an election defeat without calling the legitimacy of the election into question. He won last time and then claimed millions of illegal immigrants had voted. If that's how he handles a win, one shudders to think how he would react to a loss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'd only say this...Trump didn't weaponize his fears...they were always there. He was just afraid to speak out until Trump gave him permission.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    You're betting that Trump will lose graciously and not accuse some conspiracy against him? How large a wager will you accept?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Now people are placated by phones, Netflix, the internet, et al. It's why easier to gripe on Twitter than to actually do something about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. cpgator

cpgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gonna call uh-uh on that. The actual quote referenced Republicans have driven the economy into the ditch. The actual quote is:
    "Finally we got this car up on level ground. And, yes, it's a little beat up. It needs to go to the body shop. It's got some dents; it needs a tune-up. But it's pointing in the right direction. And now we've got the Republicans tapping us on the shoulder, saying, we want the keys back. You can't have the keys back. You don't know how to drive. You can ride with us if you want, but you got to sit in the backseat. We're going to put middle-class America in the front seat. We're looking out for them."

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1