Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Palmetto Five

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Gatorhead, May 1, 2020.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    He said Mac outrecruited Dabo and I was pointing out that is because during those years, Clemson didn't take big classes as they didnt have a lot of attrition.

Mac's last season was the only year he "beat" Clemson on the trail and that was due to us taking WAY more players (14 for Clemson to 23 for us). Not sure what's there to disagree with in regards to that.

The year before we finished one spot behind Clemson but took 4 more results than them. Clemson out recruited us as expected in 2017 so idk where the notion that Mac out recruited Dabo.

If he woulda just said Muschamp out recruited Dabo he'd been correct

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Part of what you are saying is correct:

Alabama:
    - Ranking: 1
    - Average: 92.54

Clemson:
    - Ranking: 11
    - Average: 90.30

Alabama:
    - Ranking: 1
    - Average: 93.76

Clemson:
    - Ranking: 16
    - Average: 92.10

Alabama:
    - Ranking: 5
    - Average: 91.94

Clemson:
    - Ranking: 7
    - Average: 93.45

However, in the years where the overall talent has a larger difference, Dabo still brought in excellent QB play. This was precisely my point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LLCoolJ94

This is a compelling argument for sure. The states of the program were dramatically different. The difficulty for this argument is that it doesn't explain the success that Mr. Potato Head is having in Knoxville. How do you explain that? (I mean this as a real question, not as a troll).

4. okcgator

okcgator Senior

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Pruitt is a big time recruiter and he has multiple big time recruiters on his staff. I wouldn’t be concerned about that class overall if you look at it his class average is still a high 3* to low 4*. They are just jumping on the momentum they have. The only surprising kid they have landed is Lewis. Wilcoxson is only there because OSU and Bama wouldn’t take his commitment right now.

5. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Lewis isn't surprising. As i explained in the other thread, the Big 3 Florida schools, Clemson, Bama, and UGA backed off him because ALLEGEDLY he got into a scuffle with a girl which is also the reason he was forced to transfer schools

6. okcgator

okcgator Senior

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    I just meant from the general perspective that most fans didn’t expect him to end up there. My cousin is a UT fan and only follows recruiting casually. He was super pumped about because he thought they beat out all the schools you mentioned.

7. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Ooooh got you. Yea i will be surprised if they hold off A&M amd keep him. Brooks probably may end up flipping from them too

• Like Like x 1
  8. LLCoolJ94

This was my point though. While some schools have backed off for now, I think we all know there will be better schools than UT to come calling. I'm Judy surprised that he actually committed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rmfleone06

rmfleone06 Freshman

Aug 21, 2009
    Florida

you are correct and i misread the original quote, my bad

10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea i hear you. I do think all in all...if Emory is our Taij Boyd and AR is our Watson, we can def build around them without feeling pressured in recruiting by fans to HAVE to be elite EVERY YEAR in recruiting.

But back to the topic at hand, again, i think we only miss out on Collins but land Marshall, Taylor, and Collier. I think we're good on Smith

• Like Like x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep lol. Donnell gonna push hard for him to come to A&M, Frost still will come after him, and i can see us getting back into the fold if the heat dies down as this cycle goes on.

12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    They’re insanely loaded on defense and along the o line

13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I keep re reading his post expecting it to make sense , my brain is currently trying to escape out of my ear from lack of comprehension

14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    So our staff is weak on recruiting but strong on coaching. Off the top of my head, Gray, Turner, Robinson and Robinson are great position coaches and very capable recruiters. Brewster was an outstanding addition but he didn't replace a weak link. Hevesy and Gonzalez haven't been as successful as they were their first time around at UF but they are indispensable parts of Mullen's offensive brain trust. That leaves Knox, Grantham and English as opportunities to upgrade recruiting without downgrading on the field coaching. Any thoughts?

Sorry for the hijack. Back to the Palmetto Five.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Lol oh i know, i was being cantankerous for the sake of it

No you're good. We've had the same discussion about those 3/4 coaches over the last cycle and we all agree that all could be upgraded but as you mentioned, they're probably not going anywhere due to the bond they have with Mullen. We all know, even when it happened, that bringing in Knox and trying to shift Seider to TE was a bad move as he was/is a WAAAAY better recruiter (would have been our best on the staff) and just as good of a line coach. English should be replaced as our safety play these two years have been average and i'll give him a pass on recruiting because he couldn't have predicted Russell not being cleared and Huggins getting kicked off the squad. Missing on Tae hurt HARD, but he BETTER redeem himself this cycle with nabbing Collier when the time comes

• Agree Agree x 1