Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Official Offensive Line OL recruiting thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by bobbybaker86, Aug 7, 2021.

1. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    Relying on 3 star recruits may not have been Hevesy’s plan but that’s what he was having to do because of failures to land any top linemen. Remember we won our national championships with some very highly rated linemen. Both pounceys were rated in the top 100. Carl Johnson was also a 5 star recruit. Spurrier also recruited many highly ranked linemen during his run. Mullen/Hevesy we’re just not getting it done at that kind of level. Notice how many schools wanted Hevesy as their offensive line coach!

2. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Yeah, lol.

If I'm posting on my phone I shouldn't post anything longer than a sentence. Crazy typos.

I had so many typos I edited the post and still missed a couple.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    Nope.

As SOS and Doering referenced, a good chunk of the Gator fan base takes the BS to another level.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Donzo

Donzo GC Hall of Fame

May 20, 2008
    OK, after this post I'll exit the thread. Posters like you and DieGator keep posting hate and wrong information. When that nonsense is exposed y'all just double down on it. So, this has been a waste of time and it's just bogging down the thread/board when there's a lot of exciting stuff going on with Gator recruiting.

As as been pointed out multiple times, UF has not relied on 3-star OL recruits. UF has just been very good at finding and developing 3-star O-linemen.

Referencing the 5-star Pouncey's and the national championships without specific references to UFs current 3-star starters is disingenuous. I'll ask specific questions about those 3-star players. I hope you wont ignore those questions again.

UFs starting interior OL is made up of low to very low 2019 3-star recruits. Those three awful 3-star recruits are White (lowest rated Gator recruit in 2019) at LG, Eguakin at OC and Torrence (may have been a 2-star recruit) at RG. If you would, break down how bad those three low rated recruits are and how they're preventing national championships for UF- thank you.

As previously mentioned, UF hasn't relied on 3-star OL recruits. Just look at the 2019 recruiting class for reference. I think UF signed seven OL recruits that year and most were 4-star players. A lot of those seven didn't workout, but the two lowest rated players sure did. Funny how that works out.

I'll state it one last time: UF has not relied on 3-star OL recruits. Although they sure have been very good at signing 3-star OL recruits they thought they could develop. It's why UF has a good OL now. Just the way it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. orangebluegator

orangebluegator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Again, SOS and Doering are intimately familiar with our fan base so they see the extremes. I mean spurrier coached Duke, but they aren’t gonna have the same expectations, but if spurrier ended up coaching at FSU and brought them a natty and nearly every conference title, you don’t think he’ll say that their fan base was getting crazy with insane levels of expectations every year?

look at fans poisoning trees because of rivalries, or stealing mascots. It happens everywhere but if it doesn’t impact you, it just becomes another example of some other school’s crazy fandom. It’s always the ones that are at your school that get magnified.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    whether UF has relied on 3* or not, the issue is that since Meyer was our HC, we haven’t signed enough HIGH END OL. Want to say we’ve only had 3 OL signed out of HS that were top 100 overall kids:

DJ Humphries
    Martez Ivey
    Richie Gouriage

that’s unacceptable no matter how we all try and spin things. The other issue that rose was yea if you want to say our starting 5 on the OL weren’t littered with 3* kids, our DEPTH was and that showed it’s ugly head as the SEC season went on over the years (last year especially). The drop off from the starters to the back ups was drastic

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I thought it was funny. Liked the post as well!

8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Amen to that. A decade of having 3-4 guys ready to play at a functional SEC level and the rest not nearly ready for SEC play. Minimum of one liability starting and no depth is not the recipe for success.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    exactly. We haven’t had an elite OL in idk how long. Talent and lack of development are to blame for that.

11. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    You still going to try and convince me how good this offensive line is now? Kentucky was mighty impressed with our 2 and 3 star linemen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    Bobby is exactly right here. Uf will fail to be elite until we can recruit at an elite level again.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Agree!
    Listen folks!
    As we all know, everything, EVERYTHING starts with the offensive line.
    THE most important group on the field. More important than the QB, RBs, WRs, DTs, LBs, DBs, etc.
    That offensive line KEEPS the offense on the field. Keeps the ball moving forward...and KEEPS our defense off the field.
    Kentucky made first downs and wore down our defense.
    The offensive line was SUPPOSED to be one of our strengths this year?
    Hint: As one who has played on Florida Field, when the ball is snapped, DON'T watch the QB, the RBs, the WRs or the TE.
    WATCH the OFFENSIVE line.
    Are holes being consistently opened up?
    Is the offensive line allowing the QB time to throw?
    Last night...
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Sure, Richardson made some bad throws...interceptions.
    Play calling was questionable?
    But a good offensive line can SOMETIMES make up for that.
    Case in point:
    At the end of the game, AND with the game on the line and crowd screaming...Florida was given at least TWO times to drive down the field and score.
    Both times, they could not do it.
    Kentucky's...KENTUCKY'S d-line stopped us.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The player ranking system is garbage in some cases... especially when it comes to the big-uglies. It really al comes down to the coaches we have recruiting and the players that we can sign. The problem in the recent past has been the players that our coaches been able to sign. I think we have better coaches and recruiters now, so we should be getting better in short order in the O-line room.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    you can only scheme for sooooo long until a unit that’s lacking talent is exposed.

Not even saying the OL played bad last night, I dont think they did I think we just never got in a groove so they could settle in, but the margin for error decreases when you’re not uber talented up front.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    By the same token...how many "stars" did UK roll out there? Works both ways

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gatordadx2

gatordadx2 Premium Member

Dec 24, 2017
    I think it was more the 2 nfl caliber linebackers that beat us

18. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    2 awful thrown balls lead to 14 KY points on interceptions/turnovers. Unfortunately these were the two most accurate passes AR threw all day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    That’s exactly the problem…they have the same talent on the LOS as we do. How much do Alabama and UGA lose to Kentucky? They consistently recruit 4 and 5 star offensive and defensive lineman. We have NO business losing to Kentucky 3 of the last 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We've lost to UK 3 of the last 5 years primarily because of abysmal QB play, also the first year of new coaches for 2 of those while UK has had stability and established a system/program. Nobody here is raving about our OL, but by and large that's not our biggest issue at present (barring injuries)

• Agree Agree x 1