Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The official "New Jersey Sucks" thread

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Dec 7, 2019.

1. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Ya Think????

• Like Like x 1
  2. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Good produce though

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Just a wee bit. :D

I always had a good time when I visited him though. But the neighbors were something else.

4. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    To be fair, it's only Elizabeth...and Cateret...and Bayonne...and Kearney...and Linden...and Newark :D

5. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    .....with lots of bears

6. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Nothing better than Jersey sweet corn and tomatoes in the summer. Years ago I remember reading an interview with Malcolm Forbes when he told his interviewer about the time he was driving home from church with his children one Sunday when they were passing a field full of corn ripe for harvesting. Succumbing to temptation against his better judgement, he stopped the car and with his children hopped the fence to pluck a few ears. When they got home they boiled them up expecting a delightful feast of corn and were disappointed to find it was nearly inedible feed corn intended for livestock consumption, and not the Jersey sweet corn he thought he had pilfered. He said it taught him a lesson about things not being what they seemed and to be a better parent by example rather than stealing produce from a farmer's field.

I've a fondness for New Jersey. Trucker was born there but moved to Ft Lauderdale when he was 12. He returned for high school, attending The Lawrenceville School, in Lawrenceville, NJ. It was the same prep school Joakim Noah attended and graduated (2004) before coming to UF. We lived there from 1976 - 1979 and our youngest was born in Summit, NJ. I spent many an hour exploring the state and hiking on trails in some of the state's prettiest areas. New Jersey is rich in US history. George Washington wintered (1779/80) in Jockey Hollow, outside Morristown, with his continental forces. It was the 3rd US state to ratify the US Constitution and the first to sign the Bill of Rights. The first baseball game was played in Hoboken. Thomas Edison had his Laboratory in the state, discovering and inventing things that gave rise to the conveniences we enjoy today.

New Jersey has locales with stunning views and scenic drives like this one of the Delaware Water Gap.

[​IMG]

The state doesn't "suck." If people have a problem with New Jersey it's likely the source of any problem they have will be found within self. No matter where you go, you will find what you are looking for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I grew up pretty much in the middle of a farm (not ours) that grew corn for feed then rotated crops to soybeans to replenish nutrients..anyway, I can only imagine the reaction to that corn. First of all hard as a rock and can't be cooked tinder and I heard the taste was abysmal. When the wind would shift we would get the pleasure of smelling that silage corn, left out in the Florida sun. We couldn't wait until the trucks came to haul that stuff off.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My experience has been there is beauty most everywhere, you just have to look. The Minnesota river bluffs in Eden Prairie (Prince had scenes filmed there in Purple Rain), Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior. In Florida, the flat glassy water on Lake Santa Fe and Lake Louisa in Clermont at sunrise with the bouys begging you to fire up the Ski Nautique and get after it on the slalom course, the view of the Orlando skyline from the top of Sugarloaf Mountain (I kid you not), watching the Gators hoist the crystal football after winning national championships, I could go on and on. I'm guessing there are wonderful parts of New Jersey as well.

Tallahassee, on the other hand...:p:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    No more truthful words! Also, you carry your happiness (or lack thereof) within you. These are among the few truths I have learned in this life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mutz87

mutz87 Leon's getting larger VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Love the DWG area! My parents live in NY in the NY/NJ/PA tri-state area not far across the border from Matamoras, PA and High Point NJ, the latter having a 220ft obelisk war memorial at the top...and to borrow from Tina Fey as Sarah Palin, I could see it from my house! When traveling from their home, I'd often have to take the 209 through the DWG to pick up the 80 near Stroudsburg, PA. It's one of my favorite drives. People don't realize it but the NW section of New Jersey has some postcard picturesque scenery. The corridor from Trenton (through Lawrenceville) up to Northern/NW Jersey is very pretty too. Much to like about NJ that people don't realize, even if as a NYer poking fun at it was sport. :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Let those that haven't been fired multiple times for being (falsely) accused of being a racist cast the first stone.

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Interesting.
    Lived in Broward for almost 30 yrs, even had NJ neighbors (great folks), but never felt any NJ vibe, maybe a NY vibe at times, but not NJ. Maybe it depends on where in the county you are, quite a variety of backgrounds in the area despite the stereotype. Pompano wouldn't be on my travel plans tho.

As for NJ, most of it sucks, but a good friend lived in Chatham for years and loved it.

• Like Like x 1