Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Official Heavener Football Training Facilities Thread

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tundragator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Agree completely. This is a business, almost completely abstracted from education. I wonder if, given the choice, would student athletes prefer to keep current facilities and get paid - say 85 scholarship players split 5% return from $85M - so $50k/player/year (not drawing down principal). Not saying that would be better (me having $50k as a college kid would’ve been a problem). Anyway, these types of projects simply move athletes further from being students (and from other students).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    No choice but to keep up with the Joneses, that being said...where does it stop?

3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The positive is think of the message this sends to other UF sports programs, athletes and recruits. Whereas football is king at all other schools, UF prioritization of ladies sports facilities, ODome renovation, baseball facility and academic facility prior to stand alone football and athletic building is a positive message that all sports and athletes are important here. The new athletic dorm across from Hume Hall in the future will just push our facilities to the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It is crazy. And will get crazier. It only stops when dollars stop or something is blatantly against rules or laws.

Think about Hollywood style productions on campus for events and visits... military helicopters, professional dancers, celebrity involvement, private concerts with national artists, luxury residences, private resorts & cruises ...

I happened to be at Friday Night Lights last year by coincidence and hung out in the stadium and watched for awhile. While I appreciated the no nonsense drills and close interaction with coaches I couldn't help but think what a professional events/marketing team would do with it.

5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    ..but wing, did you not see that Buffetville pool they’re gonna put in, look at that pool man!?!? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Along those lines, UF is putting $2.5 billion in campus improvements over the next 10 years to improve student life. At least with this go around there will be something for everybody.

• Like Like x 2
  7. here-we-go-gators

here-we-go-gators Sophomore

Dec 6, 2019
    UF looks strong long term. Title XI will force other schools to spend on women's sports also.

8. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yes and no. I do think things like this should be considered in the overall "pay the athletes" argument, as this is all being done for the athletes. That said, I remember hearing about the football only dorms and facilities back in the day and for a time those went away as colleges wanted to "integrate" the athletes with the rest of the student population. Now, it's completely flipped back the other way, and in a big way.

This thing is impressive and given it's connection to the academic center and proximity to classrooms, I'd argue it does have some value with respect to "higher level education process." I'm also kinda glad we waited and got our ducks in a row (not Mac's hasty plan). Like I said, this thing is impressive and a lot more aesthetically pleasing than what I've seen from our rivals.

9. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    When the money stops. The good thing is after the stand alone goes up and the new athlete dorms go up the tie breaker is closeness to home. Florida will always be a strong source of top athletes.

10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    These things always get delayed. It's just the nature of the business. No worries. Should still be done by signing day 2022 (I predict a couple months late).

11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yeah. Pool area would kinda suck without volleyball, soccer, women's swimming, etc. taking part.

12. Gator Mike

Gator Mike All American

Apr 10, 2007

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. FusionGator

FusionGator Senior

Nov 15, 2015
    And don't leave out cheerleaders and Dazzlers. They are athletes too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. trans25

trans25 Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, do we need a bigger locker room because we are getting a bigger team, or because our players are getting bigger? ;)

16. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Agree. Our opponents and certain posters claim it won't get done at all like Mac's stand alone or take extra years.

They can put a deadline in the construction contract to make being late really painful to the contractor or profitable if he finishes on time.

17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Have you heard of Savage?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    You got me 62 ! You got me

19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Yes. So, then mostly just bigger players. :)

20. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Welllll... of COURSE the Cheerleaders and the Dazzlers are athletes! Bring on the suntan lotion!
    Gosh... I am what Jimmy Buffett sang many years ago... I was born 400 years too late!

• Like Like x 1