Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Official Heavener Football Training Facilities Thread

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tundragator, Dec 8, 2019.

1. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    Would love and appreciate seeing the video that was played before game last weekend.

2. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    Thanks

4. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    So this one finally got shelved?
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    ^^^^ That was the Foley, “I’m not going to get in an arms race” facility plan.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. plusk05

plusk05 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yah that facility was Definitely Hall of Fame Foley

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    It's a place where we can get together downloadfile-4.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Lol... a Foley special.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. here-we-go-gators

here-we-go-gators Sophomore

Dec 6, 2019
    Mac's 3 story stand alone facility would have been in place by now but not attached to the Indoor practice field and it would be smaller.

Gators Select Industry Leader HOK to design new football facility - Florida Gators

The best long term move was to move the baseball field so we could have the bigger attached stand alone facility and a nice adjacent pool plus better curb appeal with that tree lined drive way to the facility. Mac's facility would have been more hidden. Plus the new facility is closer to the stadium.

Over half a century ago we decided to have the baseball field abut the football practice field which hurt expansion for both of those programs. Now both of those programs have more room to expand.

The negative of the current plan was it took more time. Fortunately as we wait Mullen has gotten UF in two top bowl games to show recruits we have a good coach.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Have to plan for the long term rather than short term benefit. Gator stand alone football facility being closer to stadium and practice facility will be helpful longer term from a practice, player convenience and recruiting perspective. Some programs have these facilities spread out on campus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    Exactly. Speaking of long term , when the new athletic dorm is completed across from Hume in 2023 it will be a short walk from the new Stand alone football facility. Everything will be efficient for these players.

The nice thing about the top tier large Farrior Academic center that UF has already built is that it is close to their classrooms so athletes can hang there and get refueled or tutored between classes.

The good part of UF doing our stand alone after our competitors is we can incorporate their better characteristics, add things they don't have and learn from their mistakes.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    When Foley retired

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Serious question:

What will happen to the facilities that are currently inside BHG?

I know we renovated the locker room but ours is small compared to some of the competition.

We will also be vacating strength and conditioning facilities, football offices, support staff offices, etc.

Expansion of the Heavener Complex to have a bigger museum/fan/visitor area? Expansion of gameday facilites such as training room, taping areas, Xray, etc?

Lots of space being opened up by this.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I know you have to build these monstrosities to have a chance but part of it is , to me , is almost sickening. To have this type of building that has nothing to do with the higher level education process except for attracting potential nfl draft candidates who at about 2 percent is crazy. Just doesn’t sit well with me . But that’s me and I know I’m in the very small minority that feel this way

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I think we have poo poo’ed the impact of facilities for years now bec we simply didn’t have them but truth be told it absolutely has to make a diff to an 18 year old kid. I think as ours begin to get built we will see significant traction in recruiting

16. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    No I think many people feel the exact same way but it is a business plain and simple. Football brings in a bunch of money and notoriety and the players you recruit want to be fluffed. If you dont fluff them they will go somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    All this will do is: Expand the awareness of how much a winner the University of Florida is!
    This facility enhances and enlarges the chances that high-level student-athletes come to Florida. The better the team, the more they will be on the screens of viewers across the country.
    The more that the Gators are on TV... the more exposure they get... the greater that high school students will want to come here for education. Everybody wants to be with a winner!
    Right now, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Climpsen and other schools have overtaken Florida in their facilities.
    That should NOT be the case!
    The State of Florida has so very much more to offer than both Alabama, Louisiana and South Carolina combined.
    The State of Florida is one of the true "jewels" of the Southeast. You don't take a prized jewel and place it in a substandard ring setting. And that's what we have had for over 30 years now.
    All I can say is: It's 'bout time!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. here-we-go-gators

Dec 6, 2019
    It took guts to not go with Mac's unattached stand alone center design which would be complete now. Most fans want immediate gratification.

Fortunately Mullen was able to perform well on the field the last two seasons (while UM and FSU failed on the field) as we go through the long process of moving the baseball field so we can have a bigger and better stand alone football center.

UF made a bad decision over a half a century ago putting baseball and football next to each other.

If costs more money and takes more time moving the baseball stadium but this time we got the 50 year decision right.

FSU still has baseball and football on top of each other.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    The locker room will remain for gamedays. Not sure if they’ve announced the other portions, believe they said the weight room would be used by the other programs.