Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The next generation of hoops...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    As I mentioned in another post, I play a lot of pick up at LA Fitness now. I watched a young kid shooting around with his dad and he was launching NBA+ distance 3's and doing the step back 3 point shot like Steph. There are very few people in the world who can shoot like that. It's not great to try to practice it. They also play 2's and 1's so it's worth twice as much and everyone wants to launch 3's.

Today I played with one of these young kids. He wasn't a good shooter, but he was tall and could drive a little. We played everything worth 1 point. I told him not to shoot any 2's because a) he wasn't a good shooter and b) it's worth the same as a layup and the % was much lower. He shot 4 or 5 three pointers, missed them all and we lost by 2 points.

Another kid the other day kept shooting 3 pointers. I told him to stop. He said "they are leaving me wide open". I said "why do you think that is? because you can't hit the shot."

Feels like this is more the rule than the exception. For the most part, coaches won't tolerate this on a higher level, but these kids don't seem to care. I'd rather have players that aren't as gifted physically, but are smart and work hard. Canyon Barry comes to mind. Hopefully we keep getting these types of players.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Chuckin then when there are no 2s is just dumb, but you only have to hit 25% or so to make 2s worth it.

Stroke an amazing ~33% :rolleyes: like yours truly and you're a true stretch 4 (@ 6' 1"). :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Just got to hit one from outside baby! Then you go home feeling the greatest of all time even though you lose 10-2.
    Art, don't you get it? You're just there to rebound. LOL

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. gatorcal

gatorcal GC Legend

May 13, 2009
    I just had the same conversation with a friend the other day. I got involved in a regular pick-up game after not playing for a while. I'm late 30s and by far the oldest. Most of the kids out there are in their 20's and a couple might even be late teens. All they do is stand around on the perimeter waiting for the ball to swing to them, and then shoot. Some of them are even pretty good shooters, but I could not get over how different the game has become, even at the playground level. No one tries to drive at all. MJ, Iverson, etc. set the example for a couple decades of kids who grew up trying to get the ball to the hoop. That was the ultimate measuring stick - could you put the ball on the floor and make a move. Curry is now the tone setter and the one they all seem to emulate (except they don't move without the ball, set or use screens, or do any of the actual "good basketball" stuff that he does). It makes for a really boring game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I'd rather play with 4 below average players who know their strengths and weaknesses and play team ball versus 4 cocky players who may have a good stroke but don't put any emphasis on the rest of their game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    35+ men's leagues are much tougher competition than 18+ leagues for the reasons stated above.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Agree Madgator. The older the age group the more physical it is. Also seem much more well-rounded and of course higher basketball IQ. So few kids now even know how to box out or stay between their man and the basket on D. Too much dribbling, chucking and flash on O.

8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I also agree.

I was not athletically gifted, but could hit open outside shots. I knew how to box out and knew when and how to rotate on D.

My basketball IQ was way higher than my athleticism, but knowing where the play was going before almost everyone else on the floor allowed me to get to the right spots without being an athletic freak.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I've had many a gleeful pickup games where ive been a part of old man teams dismantling younger more athletic teams.

Wisdom and trechory outdo youthful exuberance!

• Like Like x 1
  10. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

How else are they going to get better if they don't keep trying? To limit their shot selection because they haven't gotten good at it yet is like telling someone to keep their driver in the bag. It might work on short par 4s but on the long ones and par 5s you gotta bring out the big stick, and if you haven't practiced hitting with it, what do you think is going to happen when you get to the tee?

11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    However: sounds like these are the folks that ONLY hit driver when they go to the range to practice. No work on the short irons....just launch driver after driver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    This crop of NBA players certainly doesn’t help young kids develop either. I didn’t start organized basketball until middle school but knew the ins and outs by watching NBA on NBC every weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tiger Woods says Hi.....

14. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Sophomore

Jan 1, 2013
    Palatka FL
    I coach middle school basketball in an area where we do not have any youth programs so my kids are all extremely raw with very little basketball IQ. Kids just do not want to learn how to play the game, they only want to shoot three's and look good. I had one of my players argue with me about why I took him out cause he had 10 points. I said because the player your supposed to be guarding has 16. I had another kid who was one of the tallest and the strongest player in our league who just would not stay down low even if he was getting tons of rebounds and put backs because he wanted to shoot the three even though he was not a very good shooter. Last year was a tough year because after a good start we had to suspend our top three players for a variety of reasons. My fourth best player then quit cause he said he didn't want to play on a losing team. I tried talking to him and his mother about why it would be better to stick it out then quit but the world today is a very different place than what it is used to be as far as valuing things like work ethic, seeing things through and team work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Glad to see you’re not quitting on them. You’re doing a good service. This pussified generation needs us to kick them in the butt every now and then because their parents aren’t willing to step on toes at home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BobbyGator72

BobbyGator72 Sophomore

Jan 1, 2013
    Palatka FL
    No way I would quit, my dad and grandfathers would roll over in their graves, it just was not the way I was taught. I am blessed to get the chance to work with these kids and hopefully teach them some valuable life lessons in addition to learning the game of basketball. It is trying sometimes but while I may complain it is worth it. I am blessed and rewarded every day not only from the kids I've taught and coach today but from the ones from the past who come back and let me know that I did make a difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1