Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The New Puritans & Mob Justice

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GrandPrixGator, Sep 1, 2021.

1. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/10/new-puritans-mob-justice-canceled/619818/
    "But the real, and nonpartisan, lesson is this: No one—of any age, in any profession—is safe. In the age of Zoom, cellphone cameras, miniature recorders, and other forms of cheap surveillance technology, anyone’s comments can be taken out of context; anyone’s story can become a rallying cry for Twitter mobs on the left or the right. Anyone can then fall victim to a bureaucracy terrified by the sudden eruption of anger. And once one set of people loses the right to due process, so does everybody else. Not just professors but students; not just editors of elite publications but random members of the public. Gotcha moments can be choreographed."

I thought this was really good article on a topic discussed here a lot under the terms "cancel culture", "wokeness", etc. I thought the article was well-balanced and describes the problem better than I've seen elsewhere.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    "...And today we are not just hip and modern; we live in a land governed by the rule of law; we have procedures designed to prevent the meting-out of unfair punishment. Scarlet letters are a thing of the past.

Except, of course, they aren’t.
    Right here in America, right now, it is possible to meet people who have lost everything—jobs, money, friends, colleagues—after violating no laws, and sometimes no workplace rules either. Instead, they have broken (or are accused of having broken) social codes having to do with race, sex, personal behavior, or even acceptable humor, which may not have existed five years ago or maybe five months ago. Some have made egregious errors of judgment. Some have done nothing at all. It is not always easy to tell
    ."​

I've had 3 consults last year (that i recall) with potential clients about being ostracized, dox'd, and/or alienated over seemingly benign shit they posted on line, that rubbed the wrong person(s) the wrong way (none this year so far). Haven't been able to do much for them (I quote a reasonable retainer, and they have balked at it). But the hurt and the wreckage appear quite real.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a weapon that always seems to favor the Liberals that control the technologies... And the laws that govern these technologies are in the hands of Liberals. So... we all know how this really works.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Good article.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    There are a lot of valid points. As a general rule, I have no issue with consequence culture. Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences. But I cannot stand people who intentionally take things out of context to use as "gotchas" to harm others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Seems there was some parable/guidance about “stones” that would apply.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So glad the Atlantic dedicated so much space on this. Plainly it is one of the biggest problems we face and so little has been written about it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I'm sorry but all of this has already happened (well before the word "cancel culture" was in anyone's mouths), so what is to be done?

9. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    This begs the question of who put these secretive bureaucracies in place and why they haven't been exposed for who they are?

Yes it is easy to blame social media and others with an axe to grind but what needs to be addressed is why these secretive bureaucracies feel as though it is their mission in life to enforce some sense of a higher moral justice based on optics versus fact, logic and reason.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good point about the secretive bureaucracies. Lord knows that before this latest round of cancel culture, you could never suffer damage to your employment status, social standing, or any other sanction based upon stated ideas without full due process and a hearing in the courts. This is all so new, especially the way it could be applied against people who were previously immune

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    LOL did she write this before the wave of anti-BDS laws or the CRT furor? Sorry, but when you get basic facts wrong, you discount whatever point you were making.

In FL, government contractors are required to promise they arent boycotting Israel! But we dont have any state coercion or government censor?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yea, Applebaum needs to stick to foreign policy

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Isnt this a consequence of privatization?

14. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We debate topics on here anonymously, but the debating of competing ideas or challenging the status quo seems to not really exist in the public square, probably due to the general idea of the article. That's not good. And the idea of not feeling comfortable when presented with something you don't want to hear? There is certainly a line, but this is probably where the term "snowflake" arose.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Before I answer your question perhaps you could expand on the term privatization?

• Like Like x 1
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The general tendency to make things not publicly managed, regulated, controlled or owned that once were, turning over oversight duties to private entities that only answer to themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  17. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Legend

Dec 31, 2016
    Privatization occurs in all realms of life be it in the civilian or civil service sectors. From my point of view this is not a matter of privatization as much as it is a matter of those that wield power over the populace no matter how small / large the congregation. You see it in schools, you see it in unions, you see it government, you see it in entertainment and you see it in corporations.

Decisions are made in board rooms and offices across the nation. These are the people that are making decisions that the article refers to that take up the mantle of some higher sense of morality that justifies destroying someone's life.

18. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Social media is the debil

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Shining a light on cockroaches makes them scurry! They are scurrying right now screaming “I’m being cancelled!”.

There is a few quick and unreasonable overreactions but I can’t think of a tragic misfortune from society holding people accountable. If someone can list the victims maybe I’ll reconsider.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    These seem like the same things. Unaccountable, consolidated power that has no democratic or public oversight to check it.