Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Mueller Report Is Coming. Here’s What to Expect.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by busigator96, Feb 22, 2019.

1. fredsanford

fredsanford Premium Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I believe it actually said he wants to charge the kids with financial crimes and collusion charges could come later.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Funny, but seeing a picture of Hillary and Bill always make you want to throw up! :)
    Well, at least you want to take a shower.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. bullgator15

bullgator15 Freshman

Mar 5, 2019
    I expect a lot of hot air and NADA to come from it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    That is what John Brennan was saying and a story that the author had heard the previous day.

The article is not written very clearly but the way I read it was that his sources about the meeting on Friday were saying no collusion. That was different from what the author heard prior to the meeting which was a case for collusion would be pushed for.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    If they didn't find collusion and report accordingly I'm fine with that. But since when did financial crimes become not against the law?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The idea was that this started off as a Counter Intel investigation and once the Special Counsel was appointed, he was only supposed to only focus on whether or not there was collusion with Russia during the ‘16 election. Financial crimes were outside his mandate.

The argument from the Trump side will be that Hillary supporters on Mueller’s team used the Special Counsel’s investigation to go after Trump’s family for crimes they had no authority to investigate and it was in retaliation for Trump beating Hillary in ‘16.

There will also be arguments about the propriety of using a FISA warrant in an CI investigation that ended up resulting in criminal charges for domestic financial crimes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I totally get that the financial crimes were outside the intended purpose and scope of work on the assignment. No argument there. It wouldn't be a surprise to me that there wasn't some "get back" intent leading to the decision to investigate that. However, if in the normal course of business using due diligence you find rats in the kitchen, should you be denied to report you found rats in said kitchen that you can document and prove beyond any reasonable doubt? I'm not saying that I know that is the case, I wasn't there. I guess we'll have to wait and see the results of the report and move on from there. I'm ok with whatever the results are, I just hope it's the truth. :)

9. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I’m unsure as well. I think we are going to find out what happens in a case where the Special Counsel goes outside his mandate if that article is accurate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. fredsanford

fredsanford Premium Member

Dec 1, 2008
    The SCO likely won’t pursue the financial stuff. That will be farmed out.

Mueller had to get permission from Rosenstein for all his investigative avenues.

11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Contacts with Russians and anything found in the course of that incestigstion. Again, as discussed as nauseum, that is in the public letter appointing Mueller. The longer letter is largely refactored and we don’t know what was approved after the initial letter. So, we wait. The Spectator article is another “guess,” based on a supposed source. Somebody is leaking bad information about what Mueller is doing. The report was rumored to have come out weeks ago.

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The Espoinage Act punishes “national defense secrets,” not classified.

13. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    An Oxymoron:

“Mueller” and “Due Diligence.”

• Like Like x 1
  14. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Hopefully we're close to finding out. I'm not placing any bets on either side at this time.

15. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Two other interesting things that came out over the last 24/48 hours. Pelosi said she doesn’t think Trump is worth Impeaching. Adam Schiff told Chuck Todd that he thought Mueller was letting Trump off the hook by not questioning him in front of the grand jury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. danmann65

danmann65 GC Legend

May 22, 2015
    I have no faith in any reporting on this investigation. I think I will be reading the report for myself. I trust nothing from reporters. Confirmation bias abounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    This thing could go either way, and we don't have the benefit of access to the files. Should make for some good drama though.

18. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

wonk wonk wonk

19. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    There is a high likelihood that the report will not be released to the public or Congress in full. The best we can likely hope for is a summary of the findings related to the individuals who are recommended to be or have been charged.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If there are any indictments, they will be public and will be speaking charges. So, we are likely to l ow much. If the Grand Jury issues a report, its release is controlled by the judiciary and may not be secret. If Congress subpoenas a report issued by Mueller, Constitutional oversight trumps internal DOJ rules and then it is up to Congress. The courts would have to decide if the report is privileged. It would be political suicide for the Trump administration to be seen as blocking the report and nobody is going to believe that Trump gives a rats ass about DOJ guidelines or the law, particularly after he released the FISA warrants. 38 percent of the country won’t care about what is in the report anyway and will support whatever Trump does because guns, anti abortion judges and anti immigrant stances are more important the them than whatever Mueller finds. Not releasing the report will not play well with the folks who flipped last time.

• Agree Agree x 1