Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Mueller Report Is Coming. Here’s What to Expect.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by busigator96, Feb 22, 2019.

1. busigator96

busigator96 Hooked since summer 1997!

Apr 10, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I have noticed that expectations are being dampened by many including some who oppose Trump. They say it will be anti-climatic. I suspect it is true that expectations have exceeded reality. However, we deserve the chance to read the report - Barr needs to realize that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Yes, I am sure that there will be just enough there to continue the insinuation and supposition

Keep Hope Alive!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    The expectations are definitely being dampened. This could be a strategy or it could be because although Trump surrounded himself with scumbags he didnt do anything himself. He feels like a useful idiot to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My guess is neither. Mueller’s team doesn’t talk or really have any leaks, so I don’t think that they have given any reason to change expectations except through their actions.

The last few developments have been:

1) congressional investigators determined that Jr. didn’t call his dad before the trump tower meeting (good for Trump)

2) Muellers team gave rare statement that the Buzzfeed story on him directing Cohen to lie was not accurate. (Good for Trump)

3) Stone was arrested. (Bad for Trump, but it was already a part of our expectations)

So I think part of this is that none of the recent action has been all that bad for him. Not sure if that is indicative of the future, but if this is really wrapping up next week, it is probably very good for Trump, because that isn’t enough time to do much more investigating.

That said, many expected Jr. to be indicted. And Stone’s case has a long way to fizz And the matter of the secret legal battle with the unnamed foreign owned company is still active, so I’m curious how this is supposed to end now, with those loose ends.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    A big ole nothing burger... That's what I expect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

I am expecting him to leave open ended type of conclusions.....basically doing nothing more than allowing the BS to continue

basically saying that, something COULD have or MIGHT have happened but we just cant prove it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    But if he does that Barr might jump and do his own investigating... Mueller is one that might not what that since he was around for the Uranium One deal... or was that Comey?

9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    My guess is, despite the links from the Trump campaign to Russia, there will be no direct links from Trump to Russia. I am also guessing there will be enough to pursue Trump on obstruction of justice, but nobody will want to actually pursue that (after both sides do some political posturing).

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

Actually no.....the obstruction of justice talk is ridiculously without any basis in fact.

sounds nice to the wanting ears but that's about it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Actually, no, there's already a solid basis for obstruction of justice based on what we already know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Guilt by association. That is all he has. Not that that is "Presidential." What everyone wants is RICO. I don't think it is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’m willing to believe what the investigators find - either way. I suspect the conservatives will say they DONT believe anything the investigation found unless they find nothing.

In fact I bet anything that comes to light will be dismissed as manufactured. Republicans are the un-American party.

I’d be shocked though, if there is hard proof of Trump directing Russian actions or the other way around.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if the report was pretty similar to the FBI's conclusion on Hillary's emails. E.g., Trump was extraordinarily careless in allowing members of his campaign to communicate with Russia on his behalf, but there's: (1) no direct proof that he intended for those communications to happen; (2) no concrete proof of a quid pro quo. With respect to obstruction, I think they say that Trump endeavored to end the investigations based on his political interests, but that there's no precedent for indicting a president (or even lower-level officials) for making politically-driven investigative decisions.

Like with Hillary, he leaves it to the voters to decide how culpable Trump is in the whole deal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it’s being downplayed because most of the important stuff has already been talked about. Unlikely that there are any other big bombshells out there.
    Add to that Muller’s Likely reticence to charge trump or his family without something really smoking gun like, and you will get a detailed breakdown of what they found - and despite the fact that there are countless ethical and legal violations, prosecutions, borderline treasonous contacts wit foreign powers etc..the republicans will declare vindication in the fact that it had nothing new, and then try to move on. The Dems will pursue some of the more salacious stuff, but we will see what the public’s appetite for it is after it comes out.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    I think nobody knows what's gong to be in the report.

• Like Like x 2
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Reports today that it will not be next week. Not sure how it could have been. There are appeals pending of grand jury subpoenas on the DC Circuot and SCOTUS. So, the investigation is not over. The leakks that the report were coming seemed strange to me unless the investigations were being handed back to divisions on DOJ. The bigger story now is who is leaking and why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    I had assumed the very recent confirmation of Robert Barr as head of DOJ had something to do with the report coming out soon - if, in fact, it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    I think Barr already realizes this, but whether he'll release significant parts of it is the big question, at least to me it is.

20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    DOJ apparently announced that the report is not coming. So, who would have the incentive to leak false information to WAPO and CNN about this?