Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The LSU opponents defenses are awful.........

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Bryan85, Oct 7, 2019.

1. jdur

jdur Sophomore

Oct 19, 2014
    The only thing that worries me about this game is the crown noise making Trask even more susceptible to getting hit/fumbling. We haven't seen Trask in a hostile environment but he does seem to recover from turnovers, which says something. The good news is they let Vandy put 38 on them, so I think our defense vs their offense is a tossup. I've watched Joe Burrow make some amazing throws and we would have got carved up if we played the same defense that we did with Auburn. Two or less turnovers and we win.

2. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Legend

Mar 26, 2017
    Isn’t Jefferson their best receiver? DBs definitely need to be ready since Burrow is significantly better than Nix

3. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Auburn fans said the same thing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. myltwon

myltwon All American

Nov 26, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if UF lost this game but the amount of delusion on their side is ridiculous.

LSU fans: "Our defense is amazing you'll be lucky if you score 14 points!"
    Reality: LSU has had only 2 games against power 5 competition and in both games the opposing team scored 38 points on them. One of those teams was Vandy. That game is the most points Vandy has scored in a game all season.

LSU fans: "Our offense is going to hang 60 points on the gators!"
    Reality: LSU has yet to play a top 90 defense. What you have done to teams with 90-130 defensive rankings will not be the same as going against one of the top defenses in the country. Over the last 3 games, 2 of which against SEC teams, opponents have scored only 16 points against the Gators. Opposing teams have been in the UF end zone one time in the last 13 quarters of football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    At this point I would be very confident (rare) if we played LSU at home. I'm not sure how Trask will handle the noise at LSU though. He came into a tough situation at Kentucky and was unphased but while the scenario was tough the crowd noise wasn't a factor.

6. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I was more worried about Auburn than this game. AU had a All-SEC caliber D-line, strong running game, a couple of quality wins under their belt. We match up well with LSU and if you look at the series the last 20-30 years we win close to 3 out of 4 times over them, wherever it's played? We just traditionally match up well against them. I think a a game where LSU maybe takes a couple of score lead and we roar back in the 4th and escape like 28-24. Then we start getting mentioned in the top 5...OSU/Oklahoma/Clemson/Bama and Us/Georgia tie.

7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's in their house, at night, Top 10 matchup. It won't be easy as last year. LSU's DBs are looking at this game much like we did against Auburn - huge chip on their shoulders. Trask better not do what he did against Auburn or his turnovers will all be 6 points for the other team.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I think our D-line abuses Burrow, like a 5 sack night, with 2 INTs. There are winner like Tebow and Lawrence and there are guys like Burrow who throw up gaudy numbers against FCS schools surrounded by under-coached 5 star talent but are just not winners. Hit him early and hard and he'll make mistakes. LSU is traditionally that kind of team, lean on them, get them behind and they quit. SOS had what a 7 year streak against them, that was their MO, full of talent but a little soft.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Ohio State fans said this (multiplied by 100) before our game with them for the 06 title.
    That didn't work out so well.

That said- if Trask cannot hold onto the ball then we lose. He's got to fix this.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. lwg8tr

lwg8tr GC Legend

I'm expecting some new wrinkles, lots of short crossing roots, a few screen passes, and less slow developing passing plays. Look for Pitts on lots of drag routes. What I do not expect are flanker screens and and slow developing counter plays on the running game. What will be telling is our yards on 1st down. If we can get between 4-6 yards on 1st down, we win. I do think LSU big uglies are more in UKs caliber than AUs. We will be able to run some on them and Burrow will be running for his life all game.

I have a good feeling about this game. Last week was a great mental boost for the team, now they KNOW they belong in the national discussion. We could not have been able to say that for the last 10 years with maybe a week after MacElshark's win over Ole Miss

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I completely agree here. I also wrote something similar the other day.

Having said that, some of his throws are still amazing. I was very impressed with his games against Georgia Southern, Texas and Vanderbilt. Like you said, those defenses are trash. And I cannot tell you WHY the coverage was sometimes so close on his WRs, given the talent differential, but more than half of his throws were against tight coverage. Again, not sure why the coverage was tight, but he threw a few that were in the perfect position. There was no need for the WR to adjust his stride or extend his arms. They were floated right in there.

This told me a couple of things about LSU. First, that their WRs are having trouble getting separation sometimes. Two, that Burrows is more accurate than he was last year.

I do think that part of his accuracy is baked into timing, him having a clean jersey, and playing defenses who don't have the personnel to mix it up or be very aggressive. I think we'll get him off his rhythm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    Their offense looks fantastic no matter who they’ve played. Florida’s defense is hardcore and better than last years and heathy heading into Saturday’s game. It will be without a doubt one hell of a matchup. Look forward to seeing how it plays out.

13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    In my experience, when a high octane offense encounters a top notch defense, the defense carries the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tigerfromjax

tigerfromjax Recruit

Oct 8, 2019
    Hey Gators, I come in peace. Been casually reading y'alls board before this weekend and it's been entertaining. Thanks for letting me post.

Just wanted to clear something up about our defense and the Vandy game that I keep seeing posted.

- Our defense gave up 24 points that game, not 38. (7 came from a botched fumbled handoff on the 1 yard line that Vandy recovered in the end zone, and another 7 came from a pick 6 that our backup QB threw in garbage time.) Add into the mix that we were missing several key starters from injuries from the TX game, a defense that didn't really need to play all that aggressively due to the rate that we were scoring, and an 11 am start time on the road, and that's the result. Wasn't our best performance no doubt, but not as bad as it looked from the outside.
    - Last game was by far the best our defense has looked all year long, and with some of the players getting healthy again and tackling issues shored up, it's understandable why a lot of our fans, myself included, believe we're beginning to hit our stride defensively with a unit that returned a ton of talent from last year and actually gained some with freshmen Stingly and Ika.

That being said, UF is gonna be an extremely tough test as always on both sides of the ball, especially with y'alls defense.

Looking forward to a competitive game Saturday night.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Yup, they have no clue. The fans or players. Vandy has scored more than 30 points on the Gators only two times going back 73 years.

LSU has played cupcakes so far. Combined, those teams have more losses than wins this season.

Their defense is atrocious and they lack elite S&C. Their finesse offense is fixing to go from playing some of the worst defenses in the NCAA, to playing the best and getting punched in the mouth repeatedly for all four quarters.

And the 4th quarter will be the roughest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    To be fair with that game, Vandy scored on a fumble return for a TD and a pick-6 against LSU's backup QB. So their offense really only scored 24 points. On the other hand, Vandy also had 374 yards of offense though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. myltwon

myltwon All American

Nov 26, 2013
    I assumed, regardless of injuries, that atleast the second string defense on LSU would be able to slow down Vandy better than that. Even discrediting 14 of the points, which obviously still count because turnovers are part of the game, Vandy scored as many points against LSU as they did against Northern Illinois. If we go back the the actual box score, Vandy scored more points against LSU than the Gator defense has allowed in its last 5 games.

I get that the Vandy game is not guarantee of future performances, but it shows a team that is very capable of playing below their talent level could easily do it again at any moment, especially if any injuries occur.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. CadGator

CadGator Junior

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    I like the matchup for us.
    I think it favors us on both sides of the ball.
    However, this is in Death Valley and our offense although good at times isn't consistent.
    We scored Saturday on 2 - 2 play drives and a 1 play drive.
    A long sustained drive that ended in 7 would have put the game away Saturday in the 4th quarter, but Trask got hit and the ball was intercepted by that huge defensive linemen.
    If we can sustain drives and put TD's on the board I can see us winning.
    With that being said we haven't done it consistently all year.
    Doesn't mean we can't, we just haven't yet.
    Also, we can't turn the ball over 4 times and expect to win.

I was at the game Saturday and my ears didn't stop ringing till yesterday (Monday) morning.
    Was at Tijuana Flats after the game and was talking to an Auburn fan who said he has never been in a stadium that loud, even at Jordan Hare.
    Death Valley could be loud Saturday night unless we find a way to take the crowd out of the game.

Regardless of what transpires Saturday and the rest of the season I love where this team is headed.
    It is so nice to see light at the end of the tunnel where things had been so bleak there for a while!
    Go Gators!!!

19. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Yep, their fans are some of the worst. Especially when it comes to X's and O's and strategy. No reason and logic. Just marble mouth mumbo jumbo like their coach.

20. Atl_Gatr

Atl_Gatr All American

Oct 5, 2007
    And, I may get boomed for saying this, I will not be as upset about a loss Saturday as I would’ve been had we lost to auburn. With a win over UGA(believe it’s more likely than a win over LSU), & USCe, we control our destiny. This is a very rough stretch for any team to survive unscathed and I think it’s the most likely scenario. I would love to see the October/Nov run go without loss, but I dont see it. Also, I like my humble pie with a side of espresso...

• Agree Agree x 2