Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Long Goodbye Continues

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:50 AM.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    College World Series

A last chance

FSU inches closer to giving Martin a storybook ending

By Chaunte’l Powell Sentinel Sports
    As FSU’s Drew Mendoza faced a 2-2 count in the bottom of the 12th with a man on second in game two of the Seminoles’ Super Regional matchup against LSU, Florida State players and fans waited with bated breath.

It was the same uncertainty the Seminoles felt a few weeks ago when they waited to hear Florida State called during the NCAA Tournament selection show. It was the same anxiety many felt when the losses started to pile up in late March and early April.
    FSU marches on to Omaha, Neb., home of the College World Series, as a Cinderella team after years of being a nationally ranked powerhouse. When asked after the LSU game about how improbable the run has been, Martin had to take a second to avoid tearing up during the press conference.

The players knew all they need was a spot in the postseason, vowing to make the most of the opportunity.
    “Yeah, for sure [we have a shot]. We definitely have all the pieces and the talent it’s just a matter of putting it together,” infielder Mike Salvatore said before facing FAU, the start of FSU’s undefeated postseason run. “We’ve shown plenty of glimpses of that. With postseason play, we just need to be consistent, play as a team and play like we’re capable of for the rest of the season.”
    From that moment on the Seminoles proved it, scoring a total of 35 runs in their next three games to advance to the Super Regional, then sweeping LSU to earn a CWS bid.
    a Last chance

2. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Bianchi's commentary Sentinel Sports

Even UF coach is rooting for Martin to win a national title
    After FSU third baseman Drew Mendoza, a junior from Lake Minneola High School, hit a walk-off RBI to secure a 5-4 win over LSU in 12 innings on Sunday to send the Seminoles to the College World Series, he was asked about the significance of Martin’s career ending in Omaha. Mendoza replied, “It’s exactly what he deserves.”
    No, he deserves much more than ending his career in the College World Series.
    He deserves to win the damn thing.

If you’re not rooting for Martin to win his final College World Series then you are heartless and soulless. I don’t care if you’re a Florida Gator or a Miami Hurricane, there’s a part of everybody that should be pulling for a coach who not only wins; he wins with class and grace.
    Even Gators coach Kevin O’Sullivan, whose team is not in the College World Series for the first time in five years, will set aside the Florida-Florida State rivalry just this once and admit he is rooting for Martin.
    “I don’t know if a Gator can root for a Seminole, but I’m a huge Mike Martin fan, so I’ll root for him,” O’Sullivan says. “How can you not? He’s meant so much to college baseball. He’s the winningest coach in the history of our sport. I don’t think you’re a human being if you don’t root for someone like Mike Martin.”

Even UF coach is rooting for Martin to win a national title

3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    But not this Gator.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    if he was coaching some other school not inthe SEC or in Florida I might even be rooting for him but just can't find it in me to root for FSU, it would give their fans a reason to be even more loudly obnoxious and more arrogant (if that is even possible)

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Proud soulless, heartless, dead inhuman here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    If they beat Arkansas we will never hear the end of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What about Arkansas? 9 prior trips, and they've NEVER won a title. I think they're due here.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    That's their own fault. I got it!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

Big time ouch

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    It’s great to see the reporters begin to pen those “storybook ending” stories!

Pre-ordained. Something to root for.
    Gotta think the locals there in Omaha will be rooting for this, right?

Probably don’t even have to play the games

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Also lost in 79 final. 2-1 to CSF, wonder if dropped a pop up in 9th that year as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Personally, I have always admired HC/Arky-Dave Van Horn—

He recruited Alan out of HS to pitch and play first base—the 16 hour drive one-way was the real deal breaker for him—

He has a way of getting his players to put the throttle on the firewall and not letting up—we’ll see what happens.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    When Martin caught Jim Morris red-handed cheating in a game at Mark Light stadium 10-12 years ago, I started pulling for fsu in baseball against scUM, and have done it ever since. That is the best I can do. Heartless, soulless Gator here. Whoo Pig Soooie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Agreed from a non personal, only from tv perspective. Always been one of my favorite HCs out there.

Would of preferred he stayed at Nebraska however..lol

15. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 Senior

Jun 8, 2007
    Right now UF is only school in SEC with Natty Championships in FB, BB and baseball. Arkansas wins the CWS, they become the second.

Boo Arky.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    We would if you stopped posting......................
    Sorry, but that was way to easy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Pig Sooie

18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Michigan has the trifecta as well as a Natty in Men's hockey. Somebody has to tell Scott Stricklin and Ken Fuchs that we need varsity hockey programs in both men's and women's hockey. It is essential to close this gap with UM if we want to be a Top 5 public university.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    More than any sport I know, hockey as a live spectator sport is is far superior to the tv version.

20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Beach Volleyball is not bad in person :emoji_bikini:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1