Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Long Goodbye Comes To An End /Not So Fast My Friends!!

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Jun 14, 2019.

1. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas Tech wins 4-1.

Noles on bus home!

• Like Like x 3
  2. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Na na na naa

Na na na naa

Hey hey hey

3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  4. merinker

merinker All American

May 28, 2019
    11. 40 years. 0 national titles. Sad!

• Like Like x 1
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    OMG I cannot stop laughing at Mike Martin!

He wanted it sooooooo bad. 40 years and no rings!

6. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Face it he had a great run, won more games than any other coach just never got the proverbial 'Brass Ring' at Omaha. I hope he has a long and happy retirement and I am just as glad that FSU still does not have a CWS Pennant to hoist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    College World Series

FSU’s 4-1 loss ends Martin’s great era

By Mike Malloy Sentinel
    OMAHA, Neb. — The incredible run is done for the Seminoles and Mike Martin.

Martin’s unparalleled coaching career ended Wednesday.

His 2,769th game was a 4-1 loss to Texas Tech at the College World Series.
    Florida State tied the game in the fourth, scoring a run without a hit for the second time in the College World Series. A walk, a hit-by-pitch and a sacrifice bunt put runners at second and third. Texas Tech catcher Braxton Fulford tried to pick Matheu Nelson off second, but his throw sailed into center field, allowing Robby Martin to score from third. The Seminoles, though, failed to further capitalize as J.C. Flowers grounded out to third and Nander De Sedas struck out.
    The Seminoles, in the CWS for the 17th time under Martin, had two base runners in each of the next two innings but couldn’t come up with a big hit.

FSU’s 4-1 loss ends Martin’s great era

8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Headline today in the Tally Democrap:

“Florida State coach Mike Martin goes out on his own terms at the College World Series.”

F$U only scored 2 runs in 3 games in Omaha, probably not exactly his terms hey..

Adios!

9. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    His own terms would’ve been with rings and walks to mound called “Mike Martin timeouts.”

Instead he’s got the golf bag and Alaska cruise we got him.

10. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    Well he's got that going for him....which is nice

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm sorry things didn't go better for Coach Martin in his last CWS.

Regardless of the rivalry between UF and FSU, here we have a baseball man who devoted most of his life to the game, no doubt assisting a large number of young men and helping to instill values and character into their lives.

When I heard the news the first thing that came to mind was Dan Marino, who never won a Super Bowl but had an amazing career and will go down in history remembered not for his Super Bowl losses but for the totality of his career and what he did for the game.

Much respect to you, Coach - happy retirement, whatever that word means for you going forward. You will be missed.....

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. TJtheGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Ummmm.......no

13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

If he coached for most other schools, I'd be right there with you. But a title for Martin would have meant a title for SWAC, there's no redeeming quality in rooting for such a thing to come to fruition. As for Marino, he had no control over defense and running back, that's not a fair comparison. Larry Vettel still thinks Trent Dilfer was a better QB because he got a ring.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  14. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Like I said, I'm in the minority with my thoughts on the subject.

BTW....I never said I'd like him to win a "title" - just that he'd do better than he did this year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    If I could have waived a wand and made it happen, I would have enjoyed a Championship Series Game 3 loss in an extra innings walk-off style. But of course not being guaranteed that ending, I was quite happy with the result.

I still don’t understand why people thought they were good. They were mediocre at best the entire season. Their offense caught fire for 5 games and then sucked again in Omaha. Drew Parrish pitched his best game of his year against Arky. LSU choked Game 1 away. UGA’s Hancock literally had an epically bad outing in light of his season. Becker was a fun little story but let’s be honest, a little Jonah Girand type story. Fun but there is no monetary future there.

The whole run made people think they were legitimate. 7 straight wins overshadowed 4 months of mediocrity. Got to love baseball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Greg—

This may be the most accurate post of all time!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Martin did not have the advantage of Bobby Bowden. He had to earn it on the field, as opposed to Bobby's 1993 team, in which he lobbied, cried, moaned, groaned, and finally got a NC out of pity and a lot of cheating.

Martin's use of his pitchers over the years got him short term wins and long term failures.

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    350—

I’m not sure I follow your point—I quoted @gtj31 about the accuracy of his post about SWAC’s baseball season.

How did what Bobby Bowden did or say have any bearing on “11’s” teams on field performance?

I can’t ever say Martin “earned it on the field”—he chewed careers up (mainly pitchers arms) on a regular basis for the tally in his “W” column, at least IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2