Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

The lie that Obama's White House was scandal free

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gator715, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:08 PM.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    As it turned out, it really wasn’t. If people only knew of Nixon’s covert actions to undermine Vietnam peace leading up to his election. With that information now more fact than conspiracy theory, a strong argument can be made Nixon actually should have been executed for treason.

2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I didn’t like it at the time, but I suspect you’re right

3. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You really think that the current percentage will remain static? It's virtually certain to grow much larger and denying that any restrictions are needed will result in a much larger number of both total cases and deaths than if reasonable restrictions remain in place until the problem begins to resolve itself. You still think that concern over spread of the Covid-19 is a hoax as proclaimed by the Donald a little over a month ago?

4. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida/North Carolina
    I used to think that. I'm not so sure now. Nixon committed some pretty egregious sins against the constitution and the law, and no one should be above it. However, I have never held it against Ford and think he was a fine man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The current infection rate is .023%. I doubled it in my post to reduce quibbling. Let’s take my number that is already doubled over the current infection rate 10X it. That is still only .5% of the population. The mortality rate of this thing in now heading under 1%. So am I worried about the 1% of the .5 % of the US population? Hell no!! I take a much, much bigger risk driving to work every day and flying 30- 50 times/year or driving to 7 Gator home games/ yr plus 1-2 road trips.

6. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    How many people have to die before you care? Is there a cutoff? Is it that magic driving number that pubs bring up to defend everything? Basically if something kills you less than driving it's all OK, lol. So before you worry about coronavirus 35k have to die this year? I'm just curious about the thought process.

7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Beware...

Infection rate is probably much higher than being recorded... I know you're accounting for that in this post, but I think it's higher than you're making it out to be...

But mortality rate is also probably lower...

This thing is probably more infectious than we think it is, but not quite as deadly considering how we're handling testing...

8. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sadly, AgingGator, not everyone can be a model.

9. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Here’s my thought process. Many, many, many times 35K will have their lives ruined from this nonsense that would ever have died from it.

There is no way to provide enough government aid to make people even close to whole and no way to pay for any aid that now must be provided.

If this insanity doesn’t stop as soon as possible we will be in a depression that will make the 1930s look like the Carter years. On top of that, any government spending to stimulate the economy will result in a devaluation of the currency which will prohibit recovery.

I’ve got plenty of money. My income in retirement will exceed $150k/year and that’s not touching principal. Most are not that fortunate. What will people who rely on social security going to do when a loaf of bread, a carton of eggs, and a gallon of milk costs $25.

This panic will inflict far more damage than the virus ever would have.

10. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    I see, and that makes sense in a vacuum,

Of course, on the flip side, without social distancing the health care system would be overwhelmed, and not even counting people dying because of lack of access to the hospital (heart attacks, car accidents) because of coronavirus overflow the CDC estimated 60-80% infected, and 200k-1.7 million dead with untolds more dying just for lack of access to a doctor.

So, kind of screwed either way at this point.

Although I think you save lives first and worry about the economy 2nd. It's just sad we can't do both.

11. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    No they can’t. But that’s okay because models are usually very high maintenance.

I don’t think we’re screwed if we look at this thing for what it is. There was never going to be or at least most certainly didn’t need to be a 60-80% infection Common sense precautions would have kept that in check. Washing your hands, not putting your fingers in your mouth, nose, or eyes is common sense to most people. Riding a subway standing or sitting shoulder to shoulder with thousands of strangers every week should always be avoided. 60-80% was a worst case scenario. It might be the highest infection rate in history. Worst case scenarios need to be provided responsibly. Not portrayed as a fact or even as a most likely scenario. Another fallacy of the Coronavirus has been the immediate dismissal in the discussion of anyone who dared talk that this will probably die off through the spring. I can’t tell you how many people have told me “you don’t have any proof of that”. While they are technically correct, if this one doesn’t die off through the spring it would be one of the very, very rare occurrences of one not doing so.

The media created this hysteria and now is the time for them to admit that they overplayed it and start talking most likely scenarios. It won’t happen because lying is what they do best. But they should do it. Every day this goes on the longer and harder the recovery will be. They really should never have been given the credibility to do this given all of the things that they have lied about, overplayed, or just got wrong.

Dr. Fauci and his team need to come clean. The other so called experts that love all of the attention they are getting need to as well. History tells us that This will most likely piss it itself out by early summer on its own, and even if it doesn’t it’s not going to go from 80,000 cases today to millions by May. It also is not going to kill even 10’s of thousands of Americans as many treatments in use today have been very effective and the treatments are getting more effective every day.

12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    your post reminded me of this:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Your thinking here makes me sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If it continues to double every four days, it hits a million cases in early April. By May it would be 40 million. If we slow it down to doubling every 7 days, we don't hit a million until late April and it is only 3 million by May.

15. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    It’s already at 4.7 days and slowing. Look at the data, don’t listen to the media’s horse shit

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    If we slow it down to doubling every 7 days, we don't hit a million until late April and it is only 3 million by May.

Edit: But looking at the data, I'm still seeing <4 days for doubling.

The COVID Tracking Project

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 6:16 PM
  17. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    If you look at the regression rate of the growth, bet it’s over 7 by tomorrow’s data

18. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean here.

In order for the doubling rate to be 7 tomorrow, we have to be at less cumulative cases than we had 4 days ago. 7 days ago from tomorrow (3/21), we had 23k total confirmed cases. We've about doubled that in the last 6 days. 42k by 3/23 and 80k by 3/26.

Or are you talking about doubling the number of new daily cases? 7 days ago from tomorrow (3/21), we had a daily increase of 5500. We about doubled that on 3/23 with 10,200. Tomorrow would have to have about 2000 fewer new cases than today for us to say that we took 7 days to double, then we would have to ignore the last two days where each day was more than double the 21st.