Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. ATTENTION VIP MEMBERS: Your favorite full color wall calendar with Gator sports schedules is on the way to you in the mail! Expect it in a week or two at most. Questions? Ask here.

The last thread ever on Mac

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Nov 28, 2017.

1. MCB51

MCB51 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Hi,
    Thanks Ghost..I don't think I marked that many negative posts about Mac as a disagree (I do mostly lurk)..however, I do talk to many recruits and get their take on things..they did express shock and surprise at the very negative things (and downright disrespectful things that they read on different message boards..and yes..they and their families do read here and other places) that a coach's own fans would post up such derogatory remarks. They were surprised as what one of them told me the almost hatred of Coach Mac and how fans would demean him, I told them every fan base has fans like these..the recruits I talked to..loved Mac...and had good things to say about him and also about Coach Summers when he was our O Line coach.

I mean, I can't believe people posted things about his teeth and no socks ..like all of us are all perfect and fashion models (we need to all look in the mirror at ourselves to see we all have faults:))..I felt that as long as he was our coach, I would at least show him some respect even tho I could see that he could not handle a job like UF. I mean criticizing his coaching or lack of coaching was one thing..but making fun of his looks etc was another..to me it was immature..if he won..no one would care if he looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame..the constant poking fun at his teeth, the shark stuff, his folksy talking (you know the constant "ain't cool" remark by some here over and over)..I would just shake my head....that may have been why I disagreed or come on maned etc those kinds of posts, I believe those kinds of posts makes us look foolish...I agreed with the lack of progress and coaching..I kept hoping he would work out..he certainly changed after the first time I met him..Of course I was disappointed as I want our coaches to succeed!

On another note..I met Coach Mullen tonight..again I am enthused and cautiously optimistic, I want to believe in him..but..I want to see the product on the field..I have decided to renew my season tickets again (had them since '85) and give Coach Mullen a chance..he wants the Swamp to be packed for the Spring Game..we as fans need to show support...and give him the chance he deserves.

Having been a Gator since birth..I have supported all Gator coaches..yes even Doug Dickey, Pell, Hall, SOS. Zook, Meyer, Muschamp, MacElwain and now Mullen...was Mullen my first choice? no..but I am willing to support him and his efforts..but I will say it was refreshing to hear him speak so intelligently :). and he was gracious enough to allow me to have my photo taken with him :)..I really enjoyed hearing his vision for our Gators!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks MCB. I agree on your comments about being negative - although I am guilty of posting angry/drunk a few times! And I'm certainly one to post my feelings about the 'product on the field', and do my best to keep it reasonable. I met Todd Johnson's mom in the 90's through this site (ended up meeting him, and their family. Her brother had the same job I did, which is why we met up). So, yes, some of the families do read these sites.

I hope the Mullen talk was good. He's doing all the right things. Under Meyer, the UAA decided to eliminate or significantly reduce the number of events the HC would have to do. Mullen came and spoke to our Gator Club in the summer of 2005, before they ever coached a game at UF. He was young, like 32 or 33 at the time. He did a great job. I've always like him because of that (we were a smaller, newer Gator Club so it was cool to get a football coach to come out). Agree w/ you though, the product on the field and his recruiting will ultimately determine his success...and the support he gets from the fans.

Thanks for the response...

• Like Like x 2
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Frankly I think that's baloney. Yes, it's wrong and immoral to make fun of or criticize someone for a physical condition they can do nothing about. But are you trying to tell me that Mac, a multimillionaire whose success depends partly on impressing recruits and parents in their homes, can't do anything about yellow teeth? I've heard of teeth whitening for decades. Is it just a myth? Or is it simply too costly for someone like Mac to afford? These are legitimate questions for someone in Mac's line of work.

One poster here said Mac's yellow teeth were due to medication that he takes. I asked what medication and got no answer. Maybe the poster was joking. But even if it was true, how would medication prevent a person from whitening his or her affected teeth?

Now me, when I "look in the mirror," my 70ish teeth are kind of yellow. So what? Who do I need to impress? I'm not a college football coach or anything else except a retired homebody. Why should I whiten my teeth? Especially if it's too expensive even more Mac.

And no socks? What does that have to do with "fashion models"? People wear socks mainly, I think, so that they won't have smelly shoes. Shoes are expensive. Do you know anyone (besides Mac) who doesn't wear socks? I don't. And if I did, I sure wouldn't want to smell their shoes.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yes, I do know people who don't wear socks. I don't wear socks with certain pairs of shoes. I haven't noticed any foul odors yet.

The personal attacks on Mac about his teeth and socks were juvenile and mean spirited, and I can understand why players were taken aback by it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Have you asked any of the people around you?

Comments and attacks can be too different things. It's not an "attack" to wonder why a multimillionaire involved in public relations won't spend a few bucks, relatively speaking, to whiten his teeth if they're yellow. He simply opens himself to such comments.

Not that the question should be dwelt upon. He's gone, hence this "last thread."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. lizardbreath

lizardbreath Senior

Aug 30, 2017
    I think there was much more of that personal insult stuff happening on another site in particular - personal insults that were in fact over the line by any standard. I'm no angel myself, and like some others, I have made posts when I was angry or disappointed, or just trying to be funny that I later regretted. Posts that in some instances I have either retracted or tried to explain in greater depth. And frankly, after the apparent "capitulation" by JM at mid-season, followed by the "death threats" fiasco, my attitude toward JM changed pretty drastically.

No, I am no longer a fan of JM, and haven't been for a while now. But the "crazy, self-destructive Florida fan" stereotype did not just spring up out of nowhere, and the extreme vitriol spewed by a few is a bad reflection on Gator Nation as a whole. Fair, reasoned criticism of a current HC, player or AD is one thing. Actively trying to destroy an individual's dignity or reputation, while that person is still at the helm, is something else again. Reasoned criticism is fair, character assassination is not. That also goes for the verbal exchanges that sometimes occur between dissenting posters as well.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. jhbyrd

jhbyrd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nice post. Glad Mullen went to your Gator club.

Your recent statement of UF having "the dirtiest reputation" has not been true since Spurrier came on board 28 years ago. That is not something you want recruits ( who were not alive 28 years ago) reading especially since it is no longer true. That is not a reasonable statement since Spurrier came to UF.

8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You nailed it
    Great post

• Like Like x 2
  9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Are you kidding? 9/10 of the predictions posts on these boards are saying 9 wins minimum this next season alone. No way Gator Nation isn't gonna start whining over "a few" 8-4 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Well when you do you can thank me for this suggestion:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I don't get all the freaking out over having to wear socks. Have you yankees ever heard of deck shoes?
    [​IMG]
    Anybody who wears socks with these also probably wears socks with their flip flops. Good luck with this look

[​IMG]

SMH

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Are those shoes that you wear on a deck? A lot of us don't have yachts. But worn a lot with no socks, I imagine that a sea breeze does help.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Good point. No, you cannot wear deck shoes, or sperry topsiders unless you own a yacht. It is not permitted; sorry.

Keep working and hopefully things will work out and you too can own a yacht and be privileged to wear deck shoes.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If you really care, it's Tetracycline (an antibiotic), giving to a child causes near permanent staining of adult teeth which whitening won't be able to fix. His only choice is to have his current teeth sanded down and then place veneers on top of them.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    Heavy Floride will do it too. Mine are not very white even with bleaching.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Well finally an answer. Thanks. Then I wonder why whitening can't help, though I know nothing about the whitening process or Tetracycline staining.

17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thank you for clearing that up Clay. My yacht is 21', and you can bet your ass I take the opportunity to wear those deck shoes -- and definitely without socks

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP - NO MORE MAC

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. Briang8r

Briang8r GC Legend

Dec 5, 2011
    St. Petersburg, FL
    And yet, here we are.

20. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Jim McElwain started out great.
    Then he seemed to get bogged down and then seemed to lose his way.
    He appeared to be constantly depressed and wound tight as a drum.
    I think he was relieved to exit the position.

• Agree Agree x 3