Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The issue isn't the transfers

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Mar 30, 2021.

1. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Just to let you know that this post is BS. Coaching is suspect but players have graduated from UF under MW.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. 407king

407king Premium Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I agree, not saying others don't have similar issues.

3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

And this is why Iam fast losing interest in the college game !

4. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    Every game can be broken down into different facets. Strategy, execution, luck, etc. I think strategy was the main culprit in the ORU loss.

5. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Why do you keep boiling it down to the tournament alone? Look...parity abounds like never before. Gonzaga is having a remarkable year but for the most part even blue bloods drop games to inferior programs like never before. We have performed similarily year after year now regardless of talent infusions. The same droughts in games. The same big win followed by inexplicable losses. The same losing skids. The same early exits in sec tournaments and the ncaa tournament.

This isn't about just our tournament performances. The track record if anything might prove white is anything but as bad a coach as many hear claim just that his ceiling is what it is and he perennially makes the same mistakes that keep us firmly entrenched as a middle of the road program.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don’t think anyone is attacking the character of White recruits, actually he almost entirely seems to stick to high character guys - and should be commended for that.

So it’s not surprising that his players stay on track to graduate, or that his grad transfers do actually complete the academic side and obtain their degrees.

But that doesn’t change the issues we have appeared to have picking and developing FOUR YEAR players. Pointing out some of his inherited Donovan players that graduated, and the grad transfers we’ve had graduate doesn’t change that HIS recruits largely haven’t stuck. This year’s exodus just makes the numbers even crazier.

I’m not anti transfer, and maybe this is just an anomalous covid year where there are massive amounts of transfers nationwide. But I think the bulk of a program like UF should be players you’ve been developing for 2-3 years, and the 1 and dones and grad transfers should be the exception or filling holes after you have a core group that graduates (like after the 04’s left or the Patrick Young led final four teams, where we were left young and inexperienced).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Except that the post explicitly mentioned graduation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Thanks for posting this and thanks to Chris Harry for putting the internet rumors about graduation to bed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wow.

Coach Mike can't evaluate talent and land it?

Really?

Who else was recruiting KJ?

Kansas was.

And Andrew N?

Just about everyone.

He just got in early.

• Like Like x 1
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    But you can find many games that you can accuse even the best coaches of making errors. It’s not uncommon.

11. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    You have to be patient. You can’t microwave us into Duke Basketball. We have a solid foundation and have been highly ranked at times under White and even had some tournament success. When we are missing the tournament consistently, or not a factor, then I’d say he needs to go. Being a tournament team year in and year out is respectable and eventually we’ll get some studs that take us over the edge. White has all the tools to be a great coach. He’s principled, ethical (as far as I know) and hard working. This is what you need in an executive leader, which is essentially what the head coach is.

12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Okay. But who else was recruiting Ques? And Osifo? Okauru? Gak?

Identifying and recruiting the 5 stars is easy. It's his reaches that have been terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wait...reading these threads, I thought the team has basically sucked under White. Now you’re saying we are one of the winningest programs?

14. gatorade

gatorade Senior

Oct 21, 2014
    This is what those who deal with the media is called S-P-I-N.
    It is convenient to include in % with 5th year transfers with masters. That doesn't count and should not be included. So he graduated folks who transferred in (Leon, Jalen Hudson) who were on campus for what two years (really 1 as I don't count master degrees).

Percentages are way too skewed in favor of this beat reporter who clearly is doing PR.
    So in what 6 years, how many has he actually graduated that he recruited? Allen, Hayes, and Stone were already committed to FLA prior to MW addition.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

What does that have to do with anything? If they stayed under him and graduated they still graduated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL.

So he is the UK coach?

17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Under Donovan....

I'll wait for the next one liner.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  18. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    The funny thing is that people are crying that they are transferring like it really matters. It only matters when they can use it to criticize the coach.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatorade

gatorade Senior

Oct 21, 2014
    Did he recruit them? No. They were already committed.
    my point was about players he actually recruited.
    The article take a sample size into account. So if it is cool to count them (that's fine), then on the flip side, every other player must be taken into account to show the real numbers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007