Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The intersection of 13th Street and W. University Ave.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Jun 30, 2019.

1. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Thanks for posting those photos. That was the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity House that was there when I was at UF in the early 1960s. On the East side of the SAE House (left side as we look at these photos) was the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity House.

• Like Like x 1
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I remember calling the SAE house and telling them that we were coming to paint their lion. The guy said to come ahead. But of course we didn't show up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    smart move, they could get pretty nasty when you messed with simba :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    I lived behind Mac's Waffle Shop in a dilapidated two-story tinder box. Upon discovery of critters in Mac's grits, we renamed it Mac's Weevil Shop.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I recall an incident involving the SAE lion, John Reaves and a baseball bat. Does anyone recall the details? I think he was defending the lion with the bat but I'm not sure.

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I was gone by then but it sounds pretty typical, one of my Kappa Sig Bros took his motorcycle down the street and drove it up the stairs in the ATO house :) different times

7. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Does anyone remember the movie "The Garbage Man" that was filmed at least partly in Gainesville in the 1960s? As I recall the lead actress was a guest of honor at an SAE dinner. The movie was supposed to have its premier at the old State Theater on University Ave. But the theater manager previewed the movie and refused to show it. The filmmakers left town (in the middle of the night, I think) and the movie premiered out at the old drive-in theater. It really was garbage.

8. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Was that the house of usher behind Mac's? Lacuna and I spent many a "wasted":devil: night visiting friends in one of the first floor apartments in that house.:eek::D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Could be! It was behind whatever building was across the alley from Mac's. I had a second floor apt ($90 / mo., '76-77) up a set of outside stairs that swayed violently when ascending them. When I exited the rickety stairs and turned up the alley toward Univ. I had a great view of Mac's dumpster area. The prop mgr who lived in one of the first floor apts was well known for having killer weed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    The House of Usher? Larry Honey? Oh, the stories I could tell! :ninja3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Reading your post again I realized you were there some years after we had left Gainesville. Our friend Larry, he was the door man / bouncer at Dub's in the late 60's, had a first floor apt (with its own door as I recall), that faced University Ave. We knew him from late 68 until the summer of 70 when Trucker graduated and we moved north.

Larry Honey was a slight balding man with glasses. Really nice guy, but extremely paranoid. Probably because he was a pot dealer. He had a friend we called "Big Larry" who was from Virginia but went to school at Santa Fe. BL had pot growing connections in Virginia and regularly drove up there to pick up weed he and Honey sold in Gainesville.

Easter, 1969 Trucker and I dyed a bunch of eggs, bought some chocolate candy and Peeps and threw it into 7 or 8 baskets that we placed on porches of friends around town in the wee dark hours of the morning. It was fun and most people never figured out we were the ones who did it. Our friend Larry never mentioned it so some months later we asked him if he had found it. He burst out "You put that there?!" He said he had been afraid to touch it, thought it might have been poisoned and threw it out. :(

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    1969? You sure you didn't lace it with acid? ;):D Just kidding, it was the Woodstock era.

13. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    No, to the best of my knowledge none of what we smoked back then was laced with anything. It was good stuff, but none of it as good as what is being legally produced and sold today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One other story about that Easter. Lacuna's cousin had spent years convincing her daughter there was no Easter Bunny.:( With one 4AM Easter basket on her front step we destroyed all those efforts as the daughter ran in saying something like"Mommy, you were wrong, there IS an Easter Bunny!! SEE!":D

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Yeah, I think I might have had second thoughts about a basket of sugary bunnies left anonymously. Ha! You had me wondering. I do have some memory lapses from the '70's, so 'Larry Honey' kind of made me think. One of the first floor apts was occupied by the property manager--a scrawny, scruffy hippie type who was a nervous bundle of paranoia sporting a long pony-tail and a Ho Chi Minh beard. He was a dealer too, pot and big bricks of hash and God knows what else, he sometimes went around with a hammer in his pocket. Another odd thing I remember about him...when I went to his apartment to pay rent, the bed-spread was Snow White themed, neatly made up, incongruous in an otherwise ramshackle hovel--he lived alone.

One night the temp went down into the teens. There was no central heating or insulation in this building and everyone used space heaters. The electric circuit feeding my room went dead. The tenant next door was out of town, but he kept a noisy cockatiel there and so left his space heater on. I think that circuit was my room and his, maybe one other. At any rate, the temp plunged in my room and within a few minutes I was shivering. The door to the buss fuse box room was locked and tie-died hippie manager wasn't answering my knocks--escalated to pounding--on his door at 3 a.m. I could see in his window the warm red glow of his heater, so his circuit was working fine and he either chose to ignore me--or cowering under his Snow White blanket--thought someone was after him. I had no choice...there was a main circuit breaker outside at the main service for the building, so I tripped that and killed power for everyone. In an amazingly short period of time, people wrapping themselves in blankets poured out like an ant pile had been kicked. And man, were they mad when I explained why I did it. Mr. manager unlocked the fuse box room and I was back in business, but very unpopular. I think it got down to 16 deg. in Gainesville that night. Every night I went to bed wondering if that was the night the building was going to catch fire. When I went back in the early '80's, the sidewalk was all that remained.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Brilliant scheme, WRP! Love the word picture you painted.

Have you by chance read, or even heard of this obscure little book? The Hippie Ghetto - The natural history of a subculture ? It was written by William L Partridge.

William L. Partridge
    The book states he lived in the House of Usher and it also has a photo of the building and rickety exterior staircase. Although we visited our friend during the time Partridge was a resident in the House, we did not know him.

It was cavalier of me to publish Larry Honey's name, identifying him as a pot dealer, but the man has been deceased for at least 25 years. When we knew him he had no facial hair, dressed straight, and would have been in his early 30's. People who didn't know him would likely have been surprised he lived as he did in the heart of the Hippie ghetto.

• Like Like x 1