Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Intergenerational, Cultural, and Societal Effects Of Sexual Ethics

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorplank, Jul 22, 2021 at 6:39 AM.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    There's an old saying. The first one can come any time. The rest take nine months.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    praise be, now where did I put that bonnet?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    F4ckin A! lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    Excellent point. There's no telling how much rape, abuse and harassment women and girls have had to put up with through history. For that matter, with all the revelations about the Catholic Church and Boy Scouts, boys, too.
    And everyone just had to put up with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    right next to the OPs flat earth map. It's partially covering up the waterfall at the edge of the earth :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Another post about a seemingly secular article calling for the rise of Gilead. Almost always from this poster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I don’t think it’s fair to claim what Plank believes or may believe. That’s up to him to say.
    But there have been some interesting opinions expressed here and hopefully he’ll respond

8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I find that article to be incredibly OUT OF DATE, sexist, controlling and frankly idiotic.

I think Plank should be more concerned about the sexual behavior demonstrated in his religious worldview.

Does Plank really believe that Religious Denominations that are absolutely RAMPANT with sexual hypocrisy, rape, murder, pedophilia and slavery have ANY legitimate right to suggest the sexual morays of society when those denominations have not only FAILED in their hypocritical attempts to control the sexual narrative, they have FAILED with their PANTS down around their ankles.

Plank, the floor is yours....................convince me otherwise.

9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Yeah, it seems to never had any influence at all, other than to Aldous Huxley who praised the book. I looked but could not find any studies that cited the book and only found two book reviews from the time. Of course there could be some and I just couldn't find them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I've had my share of premartial sex (in fact it's the only kind I've had), but though I've noticed some decline in my "rational thinking" (e.g., not being able to remember names, or going into a room and not remembering what for), I think it's due to age and not to good times with... whoever it was.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First, yes the consequences of "jumping the gun" have changed since the pill came along. And so, getting stoned to death (real or figuratively) isn't quite the same. And also, the elite get/got to play by different rules than us middlings. The technology, including getting the information out, allows us all to play by less stringent guidelines.

But I will only go to a more profound (at least to me) take on The Life Cycle. It seems to me that things muddle through "in the darkness" so to speak and then a concept or ideal manifests. Then a gene kicks in to where there are numerous folks who convert from a mainly self serving mindset to a more civic one. And a civilization/advanced society is born. And as long as the ideal is there and the struggle to achieve is real the civic mind will mostly continue (ie, stay the course). A sex drive and what you do with it is as good an indicator for the dichotomy as there is, as is respecting private possessions and not stealing them if you are able.

The thing is, when the folks have "made it" it seems the civic gene begins to atrophy and the self serving ideas begin to get louder, relatively speaking. And so, cheating and stealing are rationalized, especially if "everyone else is doing it." And then things reach critical mass. And then we go back to the dark ages.

If I were to summarize the OP, I would say that it represents the proverbial Canary in the Coalmine. But to think it is the causation that creates the damnation would be misguided. It is more basic, and more profound, than that. If you want to, you CAN go with "Idle Hands are the Devil's Workshop" mantra but when you can get everything you can imagine without much (if any) effort, it is damn hard to get the horse to run.

So...if we only have a couple more years before we all "go to heck", shouldn't we go and get all we can before it all goes away?

Or to be more humorous,

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021 at 9:45 AM
    • Like Like x 1