Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The importance and accuracy of Notorious Notes

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Notoriousgator, May 18, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Gators recruiting mailbag: May 17th edition | GatorCountry.com

Since I carry so much clout around this site people are simply waiting for me to post the gospel and use it as if they took hours compiling those lists and pass off my great questions to others!!

Jump_pass: How many defensive backs is Florida expected to take this year? They seem to be in the thick of things with a ton of the top kids. Derek Stingley, Chester Kimbrough, Kaiir Elam, Tyrique Stevenson, Chris Steele, Jaden Davis, Brendan Gant, Nick Cross, Maybe Akeem Dent. It sounds like they’re setting up to sign a very talented class in the secondary.

AS: The number is four and yes Florida is in the thick of for several top guys this year. You can even add Jordan Battle and DJ Turner to the list of top guys on the board. With Marco Wilson and CJ Henderson likely leaving at next year for the draft, this is a big year for defensive backs and the Gators need to reload the depth at the position.

UFsports24_7: Who do you expect our next commit to be and in what time frame?

AS: I’m not going to lie this is tough for sure because none of Florida’s targets have really came out and set a date yet. If I had to guess I would say Chester Kimbrough (Notorious Notes called this 3 weeks ago!) makes a decision sometime this summer and Florida is in good shape with him. I will say that I would expect a commitment in June at the latest

Macbgator: Who are our defensive tackle recruits and who do we most likely sign??

AS: Jaelin Humphries and Patrick Lucas are the true defensive tackles that are on the board but a guy like Nathan Pickering well likely see time inside as well. (Hmmmm, Notorious Notes has been saying Pickering is a good possibility for us for weeks) Florida is in the thick of for all three right now with Humphries and Pickering both scheduled to visit this weekend

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Hmmm, I wonder where Gatorboy08 (aka @theghost) came up w the 2 TE theory? Notorious Notes last week of course!!

Gatorboy08: Are we after 2 tight ends? If so, is it possible we could get 2 of Ethan Rae, Jaheel Billingsley, or Keon Zipperer?

AS: Two tight ends is the goal for this year and Florida would have for those two to be out of that group of three. Right now I don’t think it’s out of the question that they get two of those. Billingsley has said Florida is in his top two and Rae has Florida high up there. Zipperer doesn’t publically name any leaders but we know that Florida is still high on his list. Zipperer will likely take his recruitment deep into the process.

For those of you who give me shit on my dead on accurate Notes.....You can stick it. There isn't a more accurate compilation in the entire country!!

(P.S. All of my editorial is in jest. I'm just having fun while pointing out how accurate I am) lol

Let the shit talking commence!! I deserve it after that little fake rant. Man it feels good to be so well read along with my material lifted!! ;):devil:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    There's also someone in that story that asked about a 2nd QB in the class and specifically asked about Peter Parrish (I've been banging that drum for a while....and interestingly, Parrish is now ranked ahead of Jalon Jones).

My concern w/ the "are we taking two TE's?" is....Zipperer. I'd say we have a 50+% shot at him, but no better than 60%. Basically, if our offense looks like sh*t, he may not come here. We need to see a competent O this year and we need to see the TE's make 40-50 (or more) receptions. It seems most of us are assuming Zipperer is a lock. I hope he is...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    IMO the TE situation will remain fluid until we see how Gamble and Pitts perform (assuming Lang plays DE or redshirts). If both guys look legit then I think UF is happy signing 1 guy. If we struggle at the position or rely on the seniors then 2 becomes necessary.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Agree. He's said he's taking his recruitment into the fall and he wants to see how our offense looks. He's going to get pushed hard by every major program in the country, especially the programs that miss on their top TE targets. So we could see several teams come into the picture during the season. On that note, we need to fill as much of this class as possible in December. Hopefully we sign at least 20 in the early signing period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My guess is that 20 would be a high number for December. Too many guys still wanting to announce at all star games or on signing day. I think the size of the class remains a question as well, still not sure we go all the way to 25 considering the small senior class size. Bear in mind attrition like Andrew Mike doesn't help since he was already counted in the senior class. I would be happy with 12-15 in December and then another 10 in Feb

7. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    That's a dangerous recipe, if you go by last year's classes. Last year, around 75% of D1 recruits signed in December. Signing the bulk of your class in December seems like the way to go. Otherwise, you're spending time trying to fill the class while other schools are spending most of their time recruiting/courting/hosting the following year's class (like UGA did). We have 8 commits right now, I'm going to guess we get at least 8 more before December. In fact, I'd be surprised if we didn't get as high as 18 total (I'd like to see 20+, but I'm greedy!). If we go into Feb needing 10 to fill the class we'll see a bunch of Plan B guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would like to see the breakdown on that 75% though....how many are elite 4/5 stars vs the 2 and 3 stars that fill out the bulk of classes for the overwhelming majority of schools. For example, if FAU and FIU are filling their classes in December that really isn't relevant to UF and the kids we are after. And I honestly don't know where the breakout falls, my argument may be totally off on this.
    I also wonder if the novelty of the Dec signing might wear off a bit and kids go back to waiting. I'm sure a lot will still be sure of their choice and be tired of the process, but we all know recruiting and know a lot love the attention

9. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Several kids were looking at plan on signing in December. I think 16 is about right as our overall goal is 24 kids.

10. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Very good post. (I see bits n pieces lifted from my notes dated Feb 4, 2018....careful homie...

Imo, that's exactly the way you do it. Push as many kids to sign in December then cherry pick the last 5-6 along w working toward 2020. Good stuff ghost.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    A bird in the hand....

12. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Another good post. There's some tempting requests for some good research in there Apk.. I thought quite a few 4/5 stars were signing early (dec) it seems the majority of those kids already know their decision and get it over with before all star games. Obviously there are a few that are torn between 2 schools and decide to wait but fortunately for them each school will hold open a spot.

13. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    And I must give credit to my pal @theghost for being the first to start mentioning 2 possible qbs....even though it seems were going a different route at this time.

14. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    This is definitely what I want to see play out. Unless a kid is just dead set on a school and tired of the recruiting process, there's no reason for them to limit their options by signing in December, especially with the turnover of assistants. Even kids who enroll early, I would think can take the extra couple weeks between the early signing period and first day of classes and just sign the financial aid agreement like in previous year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. theghost

theghost GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2011
    DC area
    Tom Luginbill's breakdown is solid. Most of the early signings were not Plan B's (that's how we ended up w/ McDowell - we stole him from MSU after we missed on our top OL targets).

Tom Luginbill did a great breakdown here:

Luginbill: Inside the numbers of the recruiting early...

• In any given class, roughly 2,800 prospects will sign with FBS programs at the Group of 5 or Power 5 level. That is a signing number, not necessarily the number that will actually arrive on campus.
    • At this time, roughly 1,950 players and counting have signed their national letters of intent (70 percent of that 2,800), with more expected to come before the 72-hour signing window concludes Friday.
    • There are around 530 players who are verbally committed but who have not signed. That number will continue to decrease with players signing before Friday night, but not by hundreds.
    • So if we do the math, this leaves roughly 400 uncommitted available players still to sign with FBS programs come the first Wednesday in February.
    So with 130 FBS teams in the mix, the player pool just turned into a puddle.

---

This article is before the early signing period...basically, most coaches interviewed said they want to sign at least 80% of their class early:

Coaches all have the same plan for new early signing period

“With few exceptions, we expect to sign every verbal commitment we have. This is [now] the main Signing Day.”

If a player has been offered and has verbally committed to the university, that team expects him to sign. Coaches have put in months, if not years, of work toward their current verbal commitments. They do not want to spend another second ensuring those players sign. In fact, that has long been one of their biggest annoyances with the recruiting process.

To put it another way, a lot of schools think upward of 80 percent of their recruiting classes will sign in December, with only a few players waiting until February.

----

Here's a breakdown after signing day:

Rivals.com - By The Numbers: Early Signing Period an unqualified success

1,883 - PROSPECTS THAT SIGNED THEIR NLI DURING THE EARLY SIGNING PERIOD
    The early signing period seemed like a welcome addition to the recruiting process and there were clearly a lot of players and coaches that took advantage of the opportunity to officially end the recruiting process before the normal Signing Day of the first Wednesday in February. This unofficial number of early signees, is about 70 percent of the total number of FBS signings in a given recruiting cycle. This means only 30 percent of the normal pool of talent available to college coaches in this final month and a half of the recruiting cycle.

652 - PROSPECTS THAT ARE COMMITTED BUT DID NOT SIGN EARLY
    There are many reasons a prospect may not have signed with the school they are committed to during the early signing period. This group will be under the microscope as the February Signing Day approaches. Of the 652 prospects that are verbally committed but did not sign, there are 39 four-star prospects. Those 39 prospects and 72 remaining uncommitted four- and five-star prospects will be under the most pressure in this stretch run to National Signing Day.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    With 8 Soph DBs on the Roster, and 3 or 4 Frosh, I'd think that 3-4 DBs is what Mullen will look for.

It's DT, WDE, TE, OLine & WR where more than minimum are needed.

At TE, of the Gator's 5 Top TEs, 3 are SRs, since I also think Lang will play Defense given the Shortages of young players there (like at Buck).

Like 2 TEs, 2 DTs, 1 SDEs, 2 WDEs/Bucks, 3-4 DBs, 2-3 LBs, 3-4 WRs, 1 QB, 3-5 OLine, 1 RB, which adds up to a min of 18-19 and a max of 25 with 22 being most desirable (If he can get who he wants for all 22 slots).

Mullen, being both experienced and intelligent, does not believe overloading at a given position in any year or two. That way you have a good distribution of youth and experience at all times.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    It seems we now lead for Billingsley out of Illinois. He had a great visit and could be a gator soon.

18. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Wasn't she on Leave It To Beaver? How was her 40 time?

19. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Thought she was a rap interpreter...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Sophomore

Jan 11, 2015
    Actually she was a Jive interpreter.