Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Impending 2020 QB Battle

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by g8rl8, Oct 13, 2019.

1. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Impending 2021 QB Battle:
    • Trask graduated while winning All SEC honors
    • Emory is primed to take over the starting duties
    • Frank's became the 46th US President
    • Anthony Richardson redshirted but put on 30 lbs of muscle (nicknamed the Hulk)
    • Carson Beck transferred to UF after Smart got fired

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    I have one year of eligibility left - I will be the backup (I turn 50 on Thanksgiving day but I can still sling it)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Franks transfers before the bowl game

Trask wins MVP of the National Championship game, decides he wants a Heisman - transfers to OKlahoma

Emory becomes the starter

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. formerg8er

formerg8er GC Legend

May 24, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    That "pretty cool" gave me shark humper flashbacks.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. WhattaGator1

WhattaGator1 Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Oct 12, 2019
    I agree with most of what you said....
    Trask is proving to be a good one...how soon opponents adjust to his style is the only question...

EJ.... No doubt about it...he's the QB that fits Mullen's style, and he will show a lot more as the season continues, and will be the one to beat next year....

Trying to acquire a grad-transfer QB, well...that won't happen unless something drastic happens to Trask and EJ.... If you bring one in, it's for the purpose of starting him....Do that, and it's like slapping our existing QBs in the face, and showing them the transfer portal door.

Richardson will be brought along....and our next QBs will come from the recruiting trail.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Spot on.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. thenazz

thenazz Junior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Trask all the way in '20. I don't see him leaving and I don't see Franks back in the ranks. EJ perhaps with more PT, but possibly a transfer. Mullen will adapt nicely, no way he sees Trask as a stylistic liability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Trask to the NFL draft? Has any draft expert suggested this?

9. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Still waiting on how you equate discussing the topic = not enjoying the season. I am loving this season and thought it was a great topic with many good opinions.

10. lagorcegator

lagorcegator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    if Mullen is as great a coach as many think he will build team around Trask and win a NC
    GO GATORS

11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Enjoy your wait.

12. ColoradoNoVaGator

ColoradoNoVaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    yeah, could be part of it... designed runs are usually safer than ad libbed runs, but when Trask looks at the tape with Mullen, I'm sure there are more than a few moments where Mullen is hitting pause and saying "look at all this space, Kyle"

We had a least two passes to the backside seam route that could just have easily been a big keeper with a blocker out front.

13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Sounds like his knee is better. He says 100%. I think he can run plenty good enough. He's a big dude also.

He's pass first and I'm glad he is. Also glad he is getting comfortable with pass game first and then I suspect he'll be running more rather than the other way around. Most "running" QBs RUN when things break down, and then get better at hanging in the pocket as they get more experience.

14. bernie_lomax

bernie_lomax Junior

Jan 26, 2016
    I agree that a lot depends on the WRs.

I posted on recruiting board but better suited here:

IMO the offense will change dramatically next year and EJ will be the best fit.
    • We lose all our WRs, by far our best position group.
    • The OL will take a step forward
    • and the TEs will become a major strength (if they haven’t already).
    Therefore I see the run game and hitting TEs as our bread and butter. I think EJ and FF can do that about as well as KT. EJs running ability relative to FF adds more to the offense than the difference between FF and EJ in the occasional throw downfield.

However, it’s hard to know what we have in Copeland, Wells, and WRs that haven’t played much. Grimes decision will be huge in terms of what this offense becomes next year.

15. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    You're brain dead Lomax.

Toney and Copeland with Pitts and Grimes behind a better line and Pierce mean 400 yds/game by Trask, Franks, or Jones.

Do you wear plaid?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. brees2019

brees2019 Sophomore

Oct 6, 2019
    You're assuming that Grimes comes back, which isn't a guarantee.

Toney is not a natural WR

Copeland has dropitus

Pitts is the only true thing coming back next year. I think having a natural running qb might help this offense next year. Sure hard to bench Trask right now though. We just need to recruit recruit recruit

17. ColoradoNoVaGator

ColoradoNoVaGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm fine with him being pass-first.

But with no conventional running game, the DL doesn't need to worry about gaps and the LBs just drop further and further into the secondary making the passing game that much more difficult. We need to keep the DL honest, and make the LBs a little slower to drop... and Trask as a "willing runner" would make that happen, thereby opening the passing game a little bit more

18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    It’s probably fairly unlikely all 3 are in the UF QB room at the start of fall camp next season. Barring any unforeseen injury, Kyle Trask will be the starting QB again in 2020, imho. He will also be the best QB in the SEC next year. FF will likely go somewhere else (if healthy) to be showcased for a year to try and get to the league. I cringe at a couple of possible landing spots. EJ is the wildcard. Does he wait here another year to be the guy his RSJ year, or jump into the infamous portal. I’ll go with the former, for now.

19. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    If Trask more or less finishes the season how he has been playing thus far he should start. He’s better than Franks by every objective measure passing. Franks and EJ can come in for set packages.

20. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I'm saying he probably is. That his focus on routes and his injury is delaying us seeing his run abilities.
    If nothing else he seems to be a guy who will do whatever his coach asks of him. Including pounding it when needed.