Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The home game experience.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ThunderGator, Mar 9, 2020.

1. ThunderGator

ThunderGator Sophomore

May 15, 2014
    Now that the season is over I had some thoughts on the home game experience I thought I would share.

As a loooong-time season ticket holder I would love to hear from others on the game experience these days compared to the past and compared to other venues.

Let’s skip the product on the floor because, let’s face it, that’s sometimes great and sometimes worthless (especially earlier this season).

Let’s talk pre game. When I got there on Saturday (way earlier than I meant to) they were running the UT/AUB game on the big screens. I was thrilled. I thought I had some nice entertainment while I kill 55 minutes. The Kitties were on the floor and the Gators in the locker room. But then they killed the feed and started rotating nonsense. Why? They must have had the license to run the game. Why not do that?

Here comes the Gators (when the gators enter the floor for the last time before the game)is pretty good. They play here I come and the fans are into it and the rowdies hold the sign. I think it’s a nice tradition and I hope they keep it.

The intro is a big mess to me. It is inconsistent, it doesn’t flow, it’s loud and obnoxious and contains no traditional stuff. You can barely understand the stuff the guy says about protecting the dome and, quite frankly, I find it embarrassing. I have heard many opposing fans make fun of it. I love the laser light thing they do on the floor but the rest is terrible (to me). In the BD era when you hear U2 play you got goose bumps (even if you didn’t like the song). It was short and it was powerful. I just wish we could get this fixed.

The in game music is hit or miss. Some of the traditional stuff is great. Thunder, Ozzy, some current hip hop (finally), etc. but what are they thinking when they start playing (crud, I forgot the songs) old melodic stuff. Why calm the crowd? They really play some silly stuff sometimes. I feel that they could really use some help on the music.

I have to give the music guys props on one thing though. They did a marvelous job of killing the Go Big Blue chant. Bravo for that. Every time the kitty fans got started they killed it with music.at the 11 second mark I thought the chant was about to get out of control and, the next thing you know, a loud something or another came out of the PA system and shut it down. I don’t even know what they were playing but it was loud and and obnoxious and it shut them down.

If you run to the bathroom they used to play Mick. Now they play music. Why no Mick? They do it at the football games and they used to do it at the basketball games.

Replays. I could rant and rant on replays. They love running random highlights that they call replays. That’s great. But they rarely run replays of a controversial play or call. Are you kidding me?? That’s the only reason I want those big screens in the venue. Run the replay! They so rarely run the right replay that a group of us have a running bet in the stands on it. At least we find ways to laugh at the ineptitude here. Again, run the right replay after a play.

Finally, for the tv audience, flip the cameras. I am shocked at the unwillingness to spend this money. It will help sell the tv product it will help sell tickets (who wouldn’t want to go to a game if all they see is the rowdies) it will help with recruiting (who doesn’t want to play in front of a crowd like that). Come on. Flip the cameras.

Looking forward to other opinions.
    Go Gators.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    You had me “flip the camera”....
    I actually agree with a lot of what you wrote, specifically replays. I find that bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    No matter where a game is being played, I find myself counting on the big-screen replays for the home crowd to give me a sense of how correct/incorrect a call was - ridiculous as this may be. Its even dumber that we don't often get replays of crucial calls on tv but the massive gasp from the crowd, when a replay is shown, often gives a little more info.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have been attending every home game at the Odome for many years. I too loved the way the PA knocked down the Kentucky fan's chant by playing over them last Saturday. However, most of the time the "artificial" and fake enthusiasm noise generated by asking for noise about lousy domino pizza or tshirts with a sponsors name boldly splashed over the back of them during time outs is bogus. We don't need to be entertained by ear splitting music at every stoppage in play. Been wearing ear plugs to games at the Odome for years now and it really is tolerable that way, but it does not make it any easier to talk to the person next to you when the sound system is turned up to jet plane levels.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Bit off topic but Congrats to UK Rem / Jeff.
    Gut wrencher for UF, UK just kept knocking down three's and Richards didn't quit.

I was pretty sure UF would win the game and I wasn't that far off. Just hope this doesn't wreck UF's psyche, hope we see you again in the SEC's would like to take care of some unfinished business.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    For me, it has always been end "Florida Basketball: Fantastic".

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    No doubt, thanks @Gatorhead ! Any of a hundred things go a tiny bit differently and y'all win that game.

8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was at a few games where my wife kept telling me to quit screaming out “Jesus Christ” and “shit.” I couldn’t figure out whether it was because of the priest sitting right in front of us or the 85-year old woman sitting to my left.

• Funny Funny x 8
  9. ThunderGator

ThunderGator Sophomore

May 15, 2014
    I recall during the overtime game this season that I was blocking my ears to the PA music. It was way too loud. They seem to be inconsistent with the volume. I can’t imagine bringing a baby to the game without earplugs. What are folks thinking?

The dominoes pizza thing is pretty classless. I’m ambivalent about the shirts but I agree with your opinion on it. There is so much they could do to entertain and pump the crowd but they are stuck in this strange rut.

• Like Like x 1
  10. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    The loud music and t shirt tosses started in the nba and has filtered down to some colleges too. NBA will even play loud music during actual play sometimes too.

I take great pride in the fact that during consecutive years at the orange bowl basketball classic my group caught a t shirt (seats in 2nd and 3rd rows center court) and they handed the shirt to me and I promptly threw it back at the dude with the t shirt gun and hit him in the chest. Good times

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    and what happened to the blimps dropping coupons :)

12. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm not sure how the speakers should be positioned or if the speakers need an upgrade but the sound isn't very good at all. Different venue and outside, but the sound system at the FL/GA football game is excellent.

13. ThunderGator

ThunderGator Sophomore

May 15, 2014
    Agreed. I simply can’t understand half of what they say. Although, BD’s speech was easy to hear and understand.

14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The replays are awful. Someone seems to have made the decision not to show apparent mistakes made by the GATORS. The net effect of that is you give the TV viewer a more enhanced experience than the live spectator/fan. The advertising is excessive. People already paid their money for the ticket, give them a break from the ads. For years, we've been stuck with "just do what other schools are doing" and that leaves us with the same recycled generic nonsense (sure some of it is fun, but only because we don't know any better). Be innovative, find new songs, and see what sticks. Marketing even killed the fun of Call Me Al (not that folks don't still have fun with it, it's just not the same thing). UAA/UF killed camping out, bring it back. Sometimes you've gotta throw away the script!

Make the students bring in their own signs (at least one guy does); it is so cheesy that the UAA provides signs for the students to hold up. Lose the seats in the student section, they should be crammed in and standing up to help keep them rowdy (nobody is rowdy while sitting down). Still old school bleachers at Cameron. Encourage them to camp out again. Allow them to cross the line sometimes. I know people say kids are different these days, but young people have just as much energy as they ever have. It's all about finding ways to allow them to bring it out, not every school is having trouble with student enthusiasm.

Move the band when student demand warrants it. The band sounds awesome in the second level (maybe because more were a part of it), but have a few select games, perhaps, where a bigger band is there and the students get more seats down low.

Has anybody ever suggested flipping the cameras? I don't even care what it looks like on TV, but any added feature that helps get the Rowdies more rowdy is a good thing for the atmosphere!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Rowdies were a lot more rowdy when they camped out. They were rabid during warm ups instead of having their noses in their smart phones. And there were no opposing fans in the Rowdy section. I have seen some this season.

While I appreciate chair backs in Level 1 behind the basket I didn't mind the bleachers that were closer to the floor. You could make a lot of noise by kicking them.

Way back when I used to get to my seat by walking on the floor. It was easier than getting past a lot of fans already there. If I tried to walk on the floor now I would probably be tased.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorjerry

gatorjerry Freshman

Oct 18, 2015
    I came to Gainesville in December 1965 and saw my first 2 Gator basketball games that month at the old Florida gym. I attended nearly all home games for the next 30 years until 1996 when it became more convenient to watch on TV. I am still in Gainesville, and 2 years ago I won 2 free tickets to the South Carolina game at the O'Dome, January 20, 2018. We got there an hour early, our seats were in the very top row. It was an awful experience, for the hour prior to the game the noise was blasting at an unbearably loud volume throughout the arena. It was noise, boom boom boom, not music. This pretty much continued throughout the game. Everything too loud, unbearable and unnecessary noise. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Won't be back. I do remember a lot of good times watching Florida basketball in the O'Dome.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    outstanding!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Great post. With regards to the intro why not have Noah, big Al, and others hype us up a little…

The intro for our football games is fabulous I’m not sure why we wouldn’t mimic it.
    We need Mic back in the bathrooms. I don’t want music.
    Other than that the only thing I can say is we need to flip the cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  19. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Women's game ahead of the Men's game was great but that's non-starter now I hear. Without all the glitter and glam we made fun out of very little between games. Plus, the Alley wasn't oversized either. Things always change, mostly for the better.
    When moving the cameras is mentioned I suspect moving the crowd would be easier or is there some physical limitation in that as well?

20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The club is the impediment. That would be enormous to change. Has to stay on the alumni side.