Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Head Coach’s Importance

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by murphree_hall, Mar 21, 2021.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Here is one of many issues with your position....Coach White gave Ques greater opportunity than every other coach at a major program. Every single one.
    And all those other coaches had two shots at Ques...after high school, and during the portal.
    Ques is at Samford.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I suspect we could go back and forth, as you've eliminated data points that don't fit the narrative. Castleton is doing better than he did at Michigan, obviously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Can I have some of what you are smoking?

4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t smoke. Way back in the day when posters were blasting Noah after his freshman year, I posted that he would be one of the greatest players in Gator history. How do you think that Noah would have done if he played for Mike White?

5. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Castleton hardly played at Michigan, but he came to UF with a developed game. He also was fortunate under terrible circumstances that KJ got hurt. That forced White to change the offense in a way that made Castleton a focal point. Check out Castleton’s stats before and after KJ went down.

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Well, CC didn't have a stellar career at Michigan and is doing fairly well at Florida.

And his game has expanded greatly from last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Signing a kid and developing and utilizing him unfortunately are 2 different things. Most of the kids that White gave an opportunity to left the program and got a greater opportunity elsewhere. Some of them dropped out of sight, including Hester, Ballard and Stokes. Who are the next guys to leave? Will Niels Lane be back next season? Al Maguire used to say that the best thing about freshmen was that they became sophomores. Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to happen at UF nowadays.

8. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I certainly hope that CC is improved. He was really good last season except for the ball sticking in his hands a little to long. He is by far our best player. Noah and Horford were like volleyball players when the ball went into them in the low post. CC spent the off-season working out for the pros. I don’t know to what extent the UF coaching staff also worked with CC in the off-season. Maybe they did.

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    His footwork is vastly improved. And I am guessing that due to strength and conditioning his ability to repeatedly go up for contested rebounds is much better.

I doubt that these improvements were taught with a few pro workouts.

I agree that he is our best player and was good last season, but he is even better this season.

10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    CC gives a lot of credit to those workouts as they helped him understand what he needed to work on. It certainly could be that the coaching staff also deserves credit. However, I don’t believe that they have succeeded in developing the offensive games of any big men who have played for them with the possible exception of CC.

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I thought that Egbunu really improved and unfortunately got hurt. We really had a good thing going that season.

Blackshear seemed to regress, but with that limp he might have arrived as damaged goods.

• Like Like x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    ok - but if Ques is as good as you suggest, why didn’t a single power 5 coach capitalize on this untapped potential? Why did they all pass on him... twice?
    And I ask these rhetorical questions as someone who really liked Glover.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You described perfectly why Mike White did a really good coaching job last year. To make Castleton, who had major confidence issues at Michigan, a successful focal point of the offense once Keyontae went down was a gutsy decision that turned out to be a good one. Obviously, give Castleton a ton of credit but also credit White to build the kid back up and put him in a position to be successful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I think of Duruji in the first game last year, vs. last game last year, vs. start of this year...yeh, major regression.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Coach White really ruined him.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. gator10

gator10 GC Legend

Nov 23, 2015
    Agreed…that’s why Mullen had to go.

17. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, his footwork this season has gotten much better, and it wasn't bad last season. He's been putting in the work in the off-season. He's also better at drawing fouls and not fouling. The OSU post player, a beefeater, has apparently thrived on drawing fouls against taller players so far this season. I don't think CC will take the bait.
    Now we gotta get JJ to defend without fouling. It seems like he just needs to foul, and most of them he gets are easily avoidable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    At the level Colin is currently playing at, it's hard to imagine him going undrafted.

19. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I had to think for a second who JJ was. Jitoboh hasn't earned a nickname yet. lol

20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Especially, if he starts hitting outside shots. I think that's the biggest hole in his game for the NBA, but he's still draftable like you said.