Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

The Head Ball Coach vs the Hands of Time

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Feb 1, 2021.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It must have been false teeth you saw him spit out in 1966. His real ones were knocked out in 1964 against Bama:

Oct. 24, 1964: Spurrier is quarterback as Florida loses to Alabama 17-14 in Tuscaloosa. It was the only time Spurrier and Crimson Tide coach Paul ''Bear'' Bryant - two massive Southeastern Conference giants - met on a football field. ''I got my teeth knocked out in that game. That's what I remember,'' Spurrier said, recounting how a Crimson Tide defender caught him right under the chin back when players didn't wear mouthpieces. ''Spit it out and kept on playing.''

Milestones in the football career of Steve Spurrier

2. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    My ex used to see him on TV and remark how cute he was, back in the early 1990s. Nowadays, I imagine she'd still find him cute, but not in the same way.

3. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Do any oldtimers remember a bar called Fred's (or a bar owned by a guy named Fred) that was several blocks downtown from campus? I saw Spurrier and Jerri there one night, it must have been around 1968. It was the same bar where I once shot some pool in a game that included Gator db Steve Tannen. I remember Tannen warning the other players, after a few shots, that I might be a hustler. I guess I was lucky I didn't get my thumbs broken that night.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    Anyone listen to the podcast, how is it? Does he tell stories from his UF coaching days? I’m sure there’s a lot he couldn’t talk about when he was still coaching, would be cool to hear now.

5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This was another poster's idea, but it bears repeating.

The Spurrier years would be an amazing 30 for 30 documentary.
    As many Journalism grads as we have, I'm disappointed someone hasn't done it.

There was an SEC special on him, called "The Believer", and it was good.
    But, IMO, someone else should do a more no-holds-barred type of film which only focuses on the Spurrier years at UF.
    Especially while he is still alive and has the memory to add in juicy details.

I mean- the media war that took place between SOS, the Orlando columnist (Guest?), and Bobby.
    What a soap opera. Bobby was the media darling, and SOS was the ultimate "truth to power" kind of guy.
    SOS took PR hit after PR hit.
    Then it culminated in not only the 52-20 beatdown, but a game that saw SEVEN personal fouls called against the Crims!

Talk about vindication for SOS. Not that anyone ever said they were sorry.

I just smh at how delicious it would be, yet no one to my knowledge has stepped up to make it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That 64 game was at Bama. We should have scored a TD and won, but the 5 yard line looked like the goal line and SOS thought it was the goal line and called a play to the 5 that got there, but it was not the goal line. That's my memory. I think Graham McKeel told that story. Been too many years on me to remember exactly what the play was and who the ball carrier was.

A good friend of mine, about a 1-2 handicap in golf, hated to play golf w/ Spurs when he coached the Bandits. A bunch of good golfers would get together, wager and who ever got Steve as a partner would get the bitter sweet. Get to be Steve's partner, but get Steve's barbs for every little screw up.

One of my kids caddied for him in a charity golf tourney.

7. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    The Gator players may have misunderstood what the play was because SOS was calling signals with no teeth.

8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    My darn fingers are "curling up" and get painful, I have not been diagnosed but I suspect it is arthritis.

Sorry about that spine Ray, that must be tough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I don't think he would do it. I think he has pretty much already said what he intends to about those situations.

10. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The Spurrier years were covered extensively in The History of the SEC Series but I agree there should be one of its own.

Equally satisfying as 52-20 was the 1997 32-29 win over the Noles in The Swamp.

Gutsiest performance and greatest game I have ever seen. Spurrier alternated Johnson and Brindise. Taylor had 3 fumbles early and Spurrier stuck with him for 3 more TDs. Mike Peterson going down the line on the defense when the Noles had first and 10 inside the 5 and we held them to a field goal. And Quezzie having a career game.

Swamp was its loudest that night, much louder and for a longer period of time than when Moss blocked the FG against SC in 06.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Every word you say is true. Taylor was balled out at the end of that game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    That may have been the greatest coached game of all time. Spurrier took the pieces of a disappointing season and quilted together a masterpiece!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    So glad I went to school to the during the SOS years.

14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    So glad I lived in Gainesville during the SOS years....they just ended too soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 95Gator

95Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Studio City, CA
    Can't ask for a lot more than 12 years but I can't say I didn't love em. Also, there are the lucky ones who got to see him play, and even luckier who got to see him play and coach. He IS Florida.

16. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I was too young to get to recall seeing him play, but I thoroughly enjoyed his time coaching UF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    One thing about SOS
    The man has a remarkable memory.
    He can tell you about games that he played and games that he coached many years ago.
    Not just the games but individual plays, game situations, all that.
    From 30-40-50+ years ago!
    The man is older than me and my memory isn't anywhere near that sharp.
    Steve Spurrier is an amazing man on many levels.
    He'll probably live to be 100.
    God bless him:):cool:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL

• Like Like x 5
  19. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Spurs was so cool while he was a college student that even his fraternity brothers knew he had the "it". At parties he oft times would lean against a wall watching all the dancing, drinking and bs while sipping a brew. Like a cat perched watching insanity.

On the intramural basketball court he was the best player, hands down. But he was not a pool shooter in the likes of Richard Trapp who no one could beat at pool at UF.

Jeri Starr had the perfect last name for the girl to date and marry Super Steve.

Spurrier is and remains the face of Florida football....a winner with the right touch of swagger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    My favorite Gator. I could reread SOS stories over and over. Lucky to have him as our HBC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1