Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Head Ball Coach vs the Hands of Time

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Feb 1, 2021.

1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Problem is the age of most that suffer from it. When it was first diagnosed in me I was about 30 and they said there was surgery I could have for it because of my age. If I understood what the Orthopedic dr said to me it was that there are surgeries and stuff that can be done for it but insurance is not as likely to foot bill for it in people that aren’t in their “working ages” time of life. The knuckles in my big toes are 3-4 times the size of normal. Wish I woulda had it done then but tbh I didn’t have the down time that would’ve been required to have it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. SilverG

SilverG Freshman

Apr 8, 2007
    Why does georgia have a special place for Steve? There was the 27-10 dog trash talking loss in 1966 but I think it was the teeth I saw him spit out during the game - I've never asked him to be sure.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Stanfill?

• Like Like x 1
  4. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I played intramural basketball against him, I was a senior and he was a freshman (I think) he was the best player on the court...competitive as hell.

5. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes
    See Post #31

6. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    I just hope they have some of his sayings for menu items.

Pitch it Around Nachos
    Mills Route Wings
    This That and The Other Sampler

I listen to the podcast sometimes. He’s still very sharp.
    Great Gator - love that guy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

One of my very favorite Miami Dolphins

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Bill was on the Mount Rushmore of college and NFL linemen.
    Stanfill was the 11th overall pick in the 1969 NFL draft.
    He was the first NFL lineman to make over $100,000 a year.
    A few years ago, over a couple of beers, he told me that in spite of all the injuries he suffered during his career, he would do it all over again. On the football field Bill was basically unstoppable - he got a lot of cheap shots. Especially in the NFL. Many injuries .. CTE, brain, head, neck, shoulders, spine, back, hips, knees, ankles, feet.
    But he didn't complain.
    Bill was tough as hell.

Towers' Take: Football took a heavy toll on Georgia legend Bill Stanfill

A "Hitters" Success - Georgia Trend Magazine

Georgia's Bill Stanfill took some hits, and delivered some on Steve Spurrier

Bulldogs top five: Bill Stanfill savored 'pounding' Steve Spurrier-led Gators

Bill Stanfill Obituary (1947 - 2016) - The Times-Picayune

• Like Like x 2
  9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    My older brother was friends with a guy who was Mo Scarry’s (DL coach for Shula) son. Went down there with him once and met Mo in the late, late 70’s. The photos in his home of the Dolphins were phenomenal. He got us some great tix to a Dolphins/Raiders game for free too. Stanfill was in many ways the anchor of the “No Names”.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SLOgator

SLOgator Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I did the same, held him to 16 points in the first half before fouling out...lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. reptilenation

reptilenation Junior

Oct 12, 2013
    Pace, Fl
    Any reading material out there from Spurrier's point of view on him? I'd be interested in reading it.

12. SilverG

SilverG Freshman

Apr 8, 2007
    "competitive as hell" How True, everything was a competition with Steve.
    When we would hitch hike down University Ave to church he would want to bet $ on whose thumb would catch a ride!

• Like Like x 2
  13. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Hall of Fame

Mar 17, 2019
    Wow! How did thatguy get a picture of OBC in his office?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Steve and I used to play a few rounds and sip a few rounds.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    They kept him from winning a conference title in his playing days. That’s what he’s always been the reason that’s attributed for it

16. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As to the Bandits, owner John Bassett brought Steve in to offer him the Offensive Cord job and Steve said he wanted to be head coach. Bassett turned to his hired head coach, John Rauch, for a response and JR replied, let him be head coach, I'll be the Defensive Coordinator. That is the story as told by some.

Spurs brought in John Reaves, Jimmy Jordan (fsu qb), Wayne Peace and a couple of others to be qbs. Reaves still had some juice in him and looked phenomenal in many a game. Carl Franks, who became an asst coach at UF and usf, was the ex Dook FB who played for Bandits.

Bassett had minority owners in Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson (my she looked fine at those hot out door games). A guy I knew was a college friend of Reynolds and they went to a bar in Tampa one night to tip a few and shoot pool (Frank and Rita's Bar). A guy walks up and says, you sure look like Burt Reynolds to which he replied, I've heard that a few times, wish I had his money and women.

Bassett had a daughter who played pro tennis. He seemed to always hang around in tennis outfits. He was a great guy, per people that knew him, then he died of cancer. Came on quick.

The Tampa Bay Bandits played in unbearable heat in spring and summer yet drew crowds that to this day still far exceed what usf draws on nice evening night games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
  18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    The Sombrero for a Bandits game was a great time. Went to a night game there once and got so drunk I didn’t know where i was when I woke up on Sunday morning.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    Couch 'em up Conch Fries

20. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    So much fun following the Bandits, with the wide-open offense and the league's progressive rules. Good times.