Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Head Ball Coach vs the Hands of Time

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Feb 1, 2021.

1. thatguy

thatguy Moderator VIP Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]

Steve Spurrier retired as a football coach in 2015, instead taking a position as an ambassador for Florida. He made a brief return to the sidelines in 2019, head coaching for the Orlando Apollos in the short-lived spring football league, Alliance of American Football. At this point, Spurrier’s coaching days are likely behind him for good.

The 75-year-old Spurrier now finds himself contending with a new foe: old age. Arthritis has taken a serious toll on his physical well-being, making it difficult for him to even grip a golf club properly, according to Sports Illustrated. He even had to have a surgical procedure a couple of years ago so that doctors could remove arthritis-related deposits from his spine.

Still, Spurrier manages to stay busy, even during the pandemic. He hosts a podcast three times per week. He’s also in the process of opening a restaurant in Gainesville, Florida. And he always remains available for consultation and strategic advice in his ongoing role as an ambassador for UF ...

Retired Football Coach Steve Spurrier Admits He's 'Lost It' - Sportscasting | Pure Sports

• Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I love all the Bandits stuff in his office. For my generation as a Tampa Bay kid, that was my first memory of him.

• Like Like x 5
  4. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    The impact the man has had on the University, it somehow feels like even naming the field after him isn't enough....

• Agree x 15
    • Friendly x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Here, he has surrounded himself by the past, mementos from a 26-year college head coaching career that included a record of 228-89-2 (71.8%), seven conference championships, two losing seasons and one national title. He’s kept game balls from each hallmark victory. His very first as a head coach for the USFL’s Tampa Bay Bandits in 1983. His 50th home win at South Carolina. All of his SEC championship game victories at Florida, including three against Alabama.

In fact he’s beaten Alabama quite a bit. Spurrier’s career record against the Crimson Tide is 7–4. He’s 3–2 in SEC title game bouts and he was 1–1 while at South Carolina. The Gamecocks’ win in 2010, he quips, remains the last victory by an SEC East team over Nick Saban. Since that game, Alabama is 27–0 against those from the opposite division with an average winning margin of 27.6 points.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    Spurrier stays quite busy these days, even with most of his speaking engagements canceled. He hosts his own podcast three days a week and he’s in the process of opening his own restaurant here in Gainesville, Spurrier's Gridiron Grill. His daughter suggested he open an eatery to store and show off his memorabilia.

He never misses a chance to zing some of his old foes, especially the Georgia Bulldogs. He could talk about them for days. Did you know he was 11–1 against them as Florida’s coach? Because if you don’t know, he’ll tell you.

In fact, he’s got an entire section of his office shelf reserved for Georgia, three game balls each of historical significance: In 2014, while at South Carolina, he set the SEC career record for wins by one coach against the Bulldogs. His 100th win at Florida in 1999 came against the Bulldogs. In 1995 he coached a team that scored more points than any opponent at Georgia's Sanford Stadium.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]

Spurrier used to walk through the football offices once a day on the way to the team weight room for a workout. Since the pandemic began, he now works out at home, a stationary bike and treadmill his tools of choice. His only visit downstairs is to deliver coach Dan Mullen a miniature bottle of Sutter Home wine, a budding tradition here.

Mullen’s team opened the season by setting the school record for yards in an SEC game in a 51–35 win over Ole Miss, a record once held by Spurrier’s team. Mullen joked that Spurrier should bring him a bottle of wine.

So he did—a 3-ounce bottle. Spurrier delivered the same gift two weeks ago, after Florida won the Eastern Division.

“Those came from the bottom drawer of his desk,” laughs his son, Steve Spurrier Jr., the outside receivers coach for Mississippi State. “He didn’t go out of his way to track down a case. If it was his last one, he’d have probably kept it for himself.”

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    There ought to be a statue of him, seriously

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Seriously? Have you been in front of the stadium recently? o_O

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]
    Brad McClenny/USA TODAY NETWORK

• Like Like x 1
  11. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    I haven't. Is there one of him?

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    You're kidding, right?

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    Btw, I meant a separate statue of him as a coach, like out in front of the grand entrance like Bama has for that Bear Bryant fellow. I'm aware of the 3 statues to the side of the stadium.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Great article. You have to admire how Spurs had so much success in such a competitive profession, yet still managed to have balance in his life. Darn shame that he has to wrestle with severe arthritis now, but he looks good for a guy his age.

I wonder where his restaurant will be? I could see that being very popular, if he has the right people managing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. digitalwangsta

digitalwangsta Sophomore

Dec 5, 2020
    He's my favorite Gator of all time. He made for many joyful Saturdays for me growing up.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  16. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    SOS is a GREAT GATOR!! :):D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great thread. HBC is 75. God bless him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Premium Member

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Wish he could do some play calling for us......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. thatguy

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    There ain't but one Steve Spurrier, HBC.
    I've always felt there was some old west gunslinger in Kid Orr.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    It is out at Celebration Pointe. I believe it was supposed to open last fall but was delayed due to the virus situation.

• Agree Agree x 1