Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Groveland Four

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorknights, Jan 15, 2019.

1. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I lived outside Clermont for about 15 years and had never heard of this before. I had CBS this morning on and they had a big story on about it. I can't believe I lived there that long and nobody mentioned it.

'Groveland Four': A story every Central Floridian should know

The only things I knew about Groveland was water skiing, orange picking and barbeque.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You should read Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King. Great book and would be very revealing to you about Lake County in the not too distant past,

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Wow, I grew up in Lake County...lived in Groveland for one year. That is one sad and terrible story.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  5. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Absolutely. Read this book. Thurgood Marshall - later Justice Thurgood Marshall of the USSC was the appeals lawyer for the accused and he was very nearly assassinated by the Lake County Sheriff because of his "outside agitation". I never knew that about the man. He was a hero.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Marshall was indeed a hero and it wasn't just in Lake County, Florida.
    How Thurgood Marshall helped bring justice to a Tennessee town and was nearly jailed

10 Revolutionary Facts About Thurgood Marshall

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    It took a lot of guts to stand up back then if you were black.

I respect that.

That’s one of the reasons Jessie Owens is my favorite athlete of all time.

That and showing up Hitler’s “superior” athletes in Munich.

• Like Like x 5
  8. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    "Marshall was arrested on false charges, placed in a sheriff's car, and driven quickly off the main road. His colleagues—who were told to keep driving to Nashville—followed the car, which then returned to the main road. Marshall said that he would have been lynched if not for the arrival of his colleagues."

This account sounds eerily like what almost happened to Marshall "in the Grove". He was in a Sheriff's car that turned off into an orange grove. If Marshall's co-workers had not followed that car, he very likely would have been killed.
    He really hung it out there - alone on many occasions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    Gilbert King has written a new book about Willis McCall and Lake County. It is called “Beneath A Ruthless Sun.”

I’m reading it and King talks about the Gators in it. Not a good look for us. Paints North Central Florida and local Gator clubs in a very negative and racist light.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Let's make sure that justice is not like a pendulum moving back and forth... Equal under the law... for all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. studegator

studegator Senior

Feb 24, 2008
    I grew up in north central fla in the 50's and 60's. You would have thought the confederate/Civil war was still being fought here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I read about the Groveland Four in The Warmth of Other Suns, one of the most amazing books I've ever read. There were a number other incidents mentioned in north and central Florida. The individual stories came from interviews with four African Americans, one each from Florida, Mississippi, Georgia and Louisiana. I was shocked at how many lynchings were still taking place in Florida very late in the Jim Crow era.

14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
  15. boligator

boligator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like he embodied all the stellar attributes of an upstanding citizen in the "good old days" of the 50's.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
  17. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    My dad grew up in Lady Lake and would have been 14 then but I never remember him ever bringing this case up.

18. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    One thing I am proud of is my grandfather never voted for Willis McCall. He said he has voted Republican his whole life. ;)

My grandfather has lived in Lake County since the early 60’s I think, and he was as shocked reading about all this stuff as anyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    While I take your point for the reasons your making it, I think we Americans tend to forget what really happened (on the field of competition) during those Olympics. For good reasons, everyone remembers Jessie Owens. But on the whole (lots of individual exceptions like Owens) Germany pretty much did take those Olympics hands down. Not because the athletes were white or Aryan or whatever but because they were just better athletes. Go check out the medal count from that year when you have a second. If memory serves, the Germans not only finished first in all medal categories, but I also think they had more medals combined than the next three countries (including the U.S.) put together. I’m not an Olympic historian, but I think you’d have to go to the 1984 LA Olympics (when the Soviet bloc boycotted) to find a more dominant showing. So while we Americans were all slapping each other on the back about Jessie Owens, Hitler (without an athletic bone in his own body) walked away from the same Olympics fooling himself he had just proved what he set out to.

20. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Hall of Fame

Nov 3, 2013
    Home field seems to play a lot in the Olympics especially years ago. We went from dominating Germany in the U.S. in 1932 to them having those results in 1936.

As far as dominating showings we literally won nearly 90% of the medals I think in 1904 but something that year made very few countries outside of North American participate in that Olympics.