Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Great Debate ⋆ Expanding the College Football Playoffs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by thatguy, Nov 18, 2020.

Choose the Best Option

1. Leave it at 4 Teams

12.9%
  2. Expand to 6 Teams

12.9%
  3. Expand to 8 Teams

56.5%
  4. Expand to 16 Teams

14.5%
  5. None of the Above ⋆ Here's What We Should Do (Explain)

3.2%
  1. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I don't see it happening in the CFP, where this has never happened before. In other sports and leagues I can understand it.

2. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Computers and algorithms are made by humans. Always going to be flawed. At least humans can look at the 8 mandated teams and mix for the best match-ups (weighing strength and marketability).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I think using a computer algorithm is fairer than having a committee pick the same 4 golden boys every year, regardless of whether they earned it, but I don't like expanding the playoff.

Maybe there needs to be a human element, but at most there should be a combination between computers and people. I'm not a fan this exclusively being decided by a bunch of schmucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    then once again it is an invitational

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nolancarey

Aug 16, 2009
    Only in the sense that computers make it such (being created by humans). But then you mix and match the best match-ups from what computers decide.

6. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    and who does the mix and match- people and their biases once again make it an invitational

7. thom1507

thom1507 Junior

Oct 13, 2019
    Keep in mind that regular season schedules strengths are not equal across the teams. I have no problem with crowning a team that schedules tough regular season games and ends up with 3 losses, then wins out through the gauntlet of an 8 or 16 team playoff. That's just me.

If teams have to be near perfect, then they will schedule accordingly to improve their chances just as they have been doing. Which makes this year's Bama team all the more impressive to me...

8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The fact that these do not guarantee you incentive into the playoff is enough incentive to me to schedule risk.

The fact that UCF isn't automatically in, nor should they be, just because they're undefeated is a message that says, "play harder teams."

With the current system, I think you kind of get the best of everything.

1. You incentivize teams to schedule tough games.
    2. You make sure the best team, or every team with a legitimate claim as the best team gets in.
    3. You force people to handle their schedules perfectly or close to perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I disagree. The only team that gave Bama a fight this year was UF and we were not ranked in the top 3-4. I'd argue that with 1 minute more on the clock that Trask marches down and wins that game.

10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    But we didn't have a legitimate claim as the best team in the country.

We proved we can go toe to toe with anybody, but Bama was a better and definitely more complete football team.

We controlled our own destiny. We didn't get the job done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Thanks for proving my point. You said the gap between the top 3-4 teams and the 5-10 teams is tremendous, and I disagreed with you based on UF going toe to toe with Bama. Then you just said that we had no legitimate claim to being the best team in the country... which I agree we didn’t. So... if the almighty Bama can get played down to the last possession by a UF team that is in the 5-10 range, how is there a tremendous gap between 3-4 and 5-10? On any given Saturday, UF could have beat Bama this year, and that is what playoffs are about. The favorite can lose if they are outplayed.

The playoffs are not supposed to be an annointing of the top team. The playoffs give the best teams an opportunity to fight it out for the championship. You earn the right to compete.

12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Okay, Pre-Oklahoma, and the Florida team who played Oklahoma was frankly just a completely different football team. We were a one trick pony all season, despite how good we are. You take that trick away, and you have what we did in the Oklahoma game.

The Florida team we saw all year was a top 4 team. I'd say better than Notre Dame and maybe better than Ohio State or Clemson.

But they had no claim at being the best in the country because Bama played in the same conference as us, won the conference, beat us head to head, and finished with a better record than us and obviously a better conference record than us.

You want to give teams with a legitimate claim a chance at the playoff. Florida, despite likely being one of the best 4 prior to the Oklahoma game, did not have a legitimate claim at being the best team in the country. Some of that happened to be because we had already played Bama and Ohio State and Notre Dame had not played Bama, but it's all the same nonetheless.

In an 8 team playoff, you could have a theoretically 3 loss Florida win the national championship over a 1 loss Alabama. Though many here would probably like that now, it wouldn't be so much fun when the shoe is on the other foot and we're the ones with 1 loss and a 3 loss team from the SEC beats us and wins a national title.

"The playoffs are not supposed to be an annointing of the top team. The playoffs give the best teams an opportunity to fight it out for the championship. You earn the right to compete."

Yes, and you earn the right to compete by being perfect or close to perfect against tough opponents all season. I don't want a team that everyone knows has no claim for being the best in the playoff. That would definitely happen on a yearly basis with an 8 team playoff. Hell, it already happens every year in a 4 team playoff. We just are generally not sure if it's the #3 or #4 team. It seems like every time Ohio State comes in at #3 or #4, they outperform. Notre Dame on the other hand, not so much.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021 at 1:08 PM
  13. thatguy

thatguy Premium Member

Oct 2, 2020
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]
    Graphic: Scott MacCord/UAA Communications
    Thursday, January 14, 2021
    Gator Tales 250: AD Scott Stricklin One-on-One
    UAA Communications
    In this week's episode of our official podcast, Gators AD Scott Stricklin joins host Adam Schick for an extended conversation.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Reaching a milestone presents an opportunity for reflection, and while we won't go all the way back to our beginnings in 2015 to mark our 250th episode, we will use it to take a big-picture view of how the Gators and college athletics in general have gotten through what is hopefully the tougher times of COVID.

Gator Tales Podcast · Gator Tales #250: Athletic Director Scott Stricklin

In a wide-ranging conversation with host Adam Schick, Gators athletic director Scott Stricklin discusses how college football completed a season despite unprecedented challenges (1:35), College Football Playoff reform (5:41), the state of the football program (12:34), guiding basketball through the Keyontae Johnson scare (17:32), the opening of the new baseball stadium (21:58), the progress on the new football facility (23:50) and his latest pop culture picks and recommendations (31:55).

Gator Tales 250: AD Scott Stricklin One-on-One - Florida Gators

14. seaofred92

seaofred92 Sophomore

Nov 6, 2017
    It realistically should be either 12 or 16 with all 10 FBS leagues’ conference champion getting in and then the corresponding number of at large selections- either 6 in a 16 team model or 2 in a 12 team model with the top 4 teams receiving byes in the 12 team model for a “Wild Card” type round.

2020 examples:

12 team w/ top 4 receiving byes:

8. Oregon v 9. San Jose State (Eugene, OR)—> winner to play 1. Alabama in Tuscaloosa, AL
    5. Texas A&M v 12. UAB (College Station, TX) —> winner to play 4. Notre Dame in South Bend, IN
    7. Cincinnati v 10. Coastal Carolina (Cincinnati, OH) —> winner to play 2. Clemson in Clemson, SC
    6. Oklahoma v 11. Ball State (Norman, OK) —> winner to play 3. Ohio State in Columbus, OH

Assuming higher seeds win you’d be left with 8 teams consisting of:

1. Alabama v 8. Oregon (Tuscaloosa, AL)
    2. Clemson v 7. Cincinnati (Clemson, SC)
    3. Ohio State v 6. Oklahoma (Columbus, OH)
    4. Notre Dame v 5. Texas A&M (South Bend, IN)

16 team playoff with no byes:

1. Alabama v 16. UAB (Tuscaloosa, AL)
    2. Clemson 15. Ball State (Clemson, SC)
    3. Ohio State v 14. San Jose State (Columbus, OH)
    4. Notre Dame v 13. Oregon (South Bend, IN)
    5. Texas A&M v 12. Coastal Carolina (College Station, TX)
    6. Oklahoma v 11. Indiana (Norman, OK)
    7. Florida v 10 Iowa State (Gainesville, FL)
    8. Cincinnati v 9. Georgia (Cincinnati, OH)

Assuming higher seeds win you’d be left with 8 teams consisting of:

1. Alabama v 8. Cincinnati (Tuscaloosa, AL)
    2. Clemson v 7. Florida (Clemson, SC)
    3. Ohio State v 6. Oklahoma (Columbus, OH)
    4. Notre Dame v 5. Texas A&M (South Bend, IN)

Either format ROCKS and is miles better than the existing one. Look at the quality of those games and matchups! And what a reward for the schools and local communities to host 1, potentially 2 home games in a playoff format. Cincinnati gets to HOST UGA in December! Texas A&M v Coastal?! Notre Dame v Oregon?! Pretty awesome stuff if you ask me and is much more inclusive for the entire country. I would imagine the viewership would be ridiculous for this sort of setup, especially that second round with OSU/OU, Clemson/UF, Bama/Cinci (or UGA part 2 with Daniels), and ND/TAMU. CFB leadership needs to figure out a way to make this happen.

15. seaofred92

seaofred92 Sophomore

Nov 6, 2017
    Love everything about it. And for anyone that says giving every FBS league an auto bid somehow diminishes the regular season.. it gives MORE games in EVERY league more meaning. Those Tuesday night MACtion games become legitimately important in the national scope of college football. Only 2 at large bids (same number at 8) means you can earn your way in if you don’t win/go to your conference championship game but you have to have a GREAT resume to get an at large bid. Can’t imagine how much fun it would be with an expanded playoff- I think 12 is perfect.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021 at 4:12 PM
  16. seaofred92

seaofred92 Sophomore

Nov 6, 2017
    I’m bored and its halftime of the NFL playoff game so here’s some potential TV windows for the formats I laid out previously:

I think the solution for the extra $$ is to potentially have Fox partner with them to produce games in the first round if needed (or first two rounds depending on the number) and split games between Friday/Saturday. Then ESPN retains the final four/NY6 games if those are still going to be a thing.

In the format I made previously using 2020’s teams you could do something like:

12 Team Format: All games on Saturday (Split between ESPN and FOX but 12 team model wouldn’t require it to have split providers per se)

1st Round:

12:00pm ET ESPN: 7. Cincinnati v 10. Coastal Carolina (Cincinnati, OH)
    3:45pm ET ESPN: 5. Texas A&M v 12. UAB (College Station, TX)
    7:15pm ET FOX: 6. Oklahoma v 11. Ball State (Norman, OK)
    10:30pm ET FOX: 8. Oregon v 9. San Jose St (Eugene, OR)

Second round:

12:00pm ET ESPN: 2. Clemson v 7. Cincinnati (Clemson, SC)
    3:30pm ET ESPN: 1. Alabama v 8. Oregon (Tuscaloosa, AL)
    6:15pm ET FOX: 3. Ohio State v 6. Oklahoma (Columbus, OH)
    8:45pm ET FOX: 4. Notre Dame v 5. Texas A&M (South Bend, IN)

16 Team Format: Games Split between Friday/Saturday and likely needs 2 network providers

First Round:

Friday:

6:15pm ET ESPN 2. Clemson v 15. Ball State (Clemson, SC)
    9:45pm ET ESPN: 1. Alabama v 16. UAB (Tuscaloosa, AL)

Saturday:

12:00pm ET ESPN 8. Cincinnati v 9. Georgia (Cincinnati, OH)
    2:00pm ET FOX 3. Ohio State v 14. San Jose State (Columbus, OH)
    3:45pm ET ESPN 5. Texas A&M v 12. Coastal Carolina (College Station, TX)
    5:45 pm ET FOX 6. Oklahoma v 11. Indiana (Norman, OK)
    7:30pm ET ESPN 7. Florida v 10 Iowa State (Gainesville, FL)
    9:30pm ET FOX 4. Notre Dame v 13. Oregon (South Bend, IN)

Second Round: (All Saturday)

12:00pm ET ESPN 1. Alabama v 8. Cincinnati (Tuscaloosa, AL)
    4:30pm ET ESPN 2. Clemson v 7. Florida (Clemson, SC)
    7:15pm ET FOX 3. Ohio State v 6. Oklahoma (Columbus, OH)
    8:45pm ET ESPN 4. Notre Dame v 5. Texas A&M (South Bend, IN)

17. RayGator

RayGator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    6 Teams would be OK. Not too many and not too few. Just right. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I read the title of this thread as “The Great Diabate”

Now carry on with the thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1