Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Grad Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Hopefully one day for the sake of this thread we will get a grad transfer. I keep checking......

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Good chance we won't see one until after graduation in May/June

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Yep, you do need to graduate to be a grad transfer

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Gotta believe we have to be super attractive to a GT big man....or, are we just delusional about our situation??

What are the pros and cons? How could other teams negative recruit us?

Who else is one piece from being a final four team? Again, is that delusional of me to think? Would A&M be?

• Like Like x 1
  5. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Sophomore

Oct 30, 2013
    Pros:
    we have the talent coming in to pretty much know you're in the dance.
    UF.
    football program.
    Cons:
    High quality underclassman will demand the ball, not used to team game?

6. florencegator

florencegator Junior

Mar 28, 2019
    I don't know if that's such a bad thing. That's what the DDO offense demands out of players. You want more aggressive players in this offense. We complained about Allen disappearing once he missed one or two shots instead of demanding the ball. I don't mind a kid like Mann demanding the ball, shows confidence and he's one of the best offensive iso freshmen.

Lewis is a great team player and won't take bad shots, nor will Payne.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Blackshear would have been a savior to this team. We need somebody.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. florencegator

florencegator Junior

Mar 28, 2019
    Blackshear seems too good to be true. Hope we're considering Joey Brunk and Matt Milon.

9. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, now that Buzz Williams to A&M is reality, let’s see if the Blackshear wishing upon a star has any reality behind it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    Brunk isn't very good and Milon better for UCF level school

11. florencegator

florencegator Junior

Mar 28, 2019
    Those are our realistic options right now unless there's some international player who wants in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    No they're not. Grad transfer market just getting started. Patience

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Having seen him going against us . . .I'm not thrilled with Brunk.

I believe we are considering Milon. . . very good shooter and from Florida. Plus, gotta love a lefty! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    If we settle for Brunk then we are in trouble. I sure hope we are looking at better options than him. Brunk would make us think Hayes was a superstar.

15. florencegator

florencegator Junior

Mar 28, 2019
    I'm really gonna miss Hayes regardless.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Todd has got it right that the transfer portal is just getting started. This is still early April. Plenty of coaching changes still to go. Blackshear may go to A&M but until that happens I'll still hope for the best. The limiting part is who would be immediately available or does someone have to wait for approvals. I don't think we are delusional but some on here over estimate who we should get. The best targets might turn pro anyway and the good ones are probably best to stay put and remain in a system they know. We have to find a player that lost the coach, is forced to play in a new system either way, has plenty of quality D1 experience, and is not good enough to go pro. Simple, right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It's kind of an odd deal, since we don't even know if we will be desperate for "capable bodies" (depending on if Gak and Jetoboh can deliver any minutes at all). We have a glut of inside guys on the roster, but nobody that is really a sure thing - a couple guys with health questions and a couple true freshmen (one of which also might have weight questions). We might actually be desperate just for a big body depending on their statuses, but I certainly hope that isn't what we have to settle for, if we want to be good we really need a guy capable of occasional double doubles and perhaps good enough that commands a double team on offense. Even if you have elite guards, it's tough to win if you've got nothing in the paint and can't rebound. But it's just a really tough ask to just assume you get a plug and play grad transfer big. Hope it works out but I'm not even going to be optimistic until I at least hear of someone visit and favoring UF.

I always thought the Blackshear stuff was rediculous, with the talk coming even as VT were making a run in the NCAA's. Even if there was some logic behind it, to assume anything at that stage seemed like crazy talk to me. Of course I hope I'm wrong as I can't imagine a better prospect coming our way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Would he be able to follow the coach to A&M? That seems sort of wrong to me. Are there no rules at all for grad-transfers?

In terms of our targets, our best bet is probably a guy that is on a mid-major. I pretty much agree with your analysis, a guy that is elite at a major program would probably just "go pro" rather than be a grad transfer if their coach left. Now a quality underclassmen might consider a transfer, but then they probably need to sit out a year unless they get some sort of exemption. There's a very small universe of high major players that would be good enough to fit our needs, and also be in the grad transfer portal. That being said, we are so weak and non-productive inside that we can't really set the bar at "All conference level player or bust", there are probably a fair number of good productive players even at mid-major programs that would actually be an upgrade to our interior lineup. We just have to get one of them here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Legend

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    uk is also looking for a GT big, so we're not the only ones, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do we know with certainty that Kadeem Sy is not an option? The kid looks like a monster talent.

• Like Like x 2