Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Grad Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 19, 2019.

1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Oh, is that all?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How could you possibly arrive at that conclusion? You have no idea how quick he will be if he truly gets in optimal shape. If he reshapes his body like his brother or Haslem did, he will be able to handle any switches he is called upon to execute. To me, it all depends on the shape he is in at the beginning of practice next fall. Given the successes he has seen since getting in better shape late this season, along with the concomitant lessons he has learned, I think he will lose the weight and be a beast.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Intriguing. Way too light to play forward in the SEC at 202 pounds, but it sounds like he rebounds very well anyway. A preseason in the Gator strength and conditioning program might turn him into a good 'un.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tc7

tc7 Junior

May 5, 2015
    I think the center position is the most pressing need for us. We're good at the 4. Keyonte Johnson has really come on strong this year and he's gonna play heavy minutes there, Payne will give us some minutes there and I imagine Lewis will give us a few minutes there. Stokes will also be able to play the 4 aswell as the 5.
    We don't have anyone I feel great about playing heavy minutes at center next year. I'd be camped out at Rick Smitts sons house at the first opportunity. Whites been able to get whoever he wants when he zeroes in on a transfer so I bet we'll get a good one if we want.

• Like Like x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Let's stick a pin in this post because why I respect your opinion on these boards I disagree with this one. Stokes has shown too much potential on the offensive end to think White wont finds way to play him, even if it means adjusting his philosophy. This assumes Stokes progresses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    You play to your players strengths. I think CMW has shown a willingness to do this. There is no substitute for guys that can score, especially in the low post. Assuming Stokes is in good enough shape to play starters minutes, CMW needs to make adjustments defensively when Stokes is in if he is efficient offensively. Stokes can probably be a mediocre defender in time but should be able to make up for it on the other end. He will never be a rim protector and would greatly benefit being paired in the frontcourt with someone who can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007

If we got a 6'8" guy that can play, that means Keyontea might still be able to slide down to his natural 3 - assuming we are getting any minutes at all out of Payne, Basset, Stokes, Gak at the 5. All of a sudden that means we have a big lineup that also plays big. All I'm saying is if you get a 4 that is highly productive w/ points and rebounds, you don't pass on that to get a 5 who might be less productive just because he's got couple extra inches in size. It's the production in the paint that is most important IMO.

Of course if you slide Keyontae to the 3, that likely puts him in direct competition with Lewis who we also assume is a 3. So I'm sure we probably want to see lineups with both Lewis and Johnson on the floor at the same time. But I still say don't get too hung on up 4 vs 5, just get the most productive inside player. A true PF can always play the 5 anyway. But we do need a true PF, not another "tweener" 3/4. Because that can sometimes be a rough matchup if forced to guard a true PF or 5.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tc7

tc7 Junior

May 5, 2015
    I agree with you to an extent. I'd absolutely take a 6'8" PF of that can play vs a 7footer that can't.

But I don't think Keyonte sliding down to the 3 necessarily helps us. I think he's probably a little more comfortable at the 4 right now. Atleast our system works better with him there (just imo).

Looking at the center position . None of Gak , Basset or stokes have shown they can handle heavy productive minutes at the 5. I would definitely put a true big man at the top of my needs list if I'm coach white.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not good when you're hoping that Stokes can eventually improve his defense enough to become a mediocre defender. That being said, I expect him to be a solid contributor for the Gators beginning next season.

11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Well said Bling. I keep reading all these comments and think we just need a big man period. Yes the center and power forward spots are different, especially if you want a stretch 4 but we have that already in Johnson. We need a guy that could play either inside spot and let the coaches find the best combination of the two. Sometimes their roles can flip from offense to defense as to which position they play best at anyway. Plus they would rotate off most of the times on defense. Ultimately a guy that makes everyone better around you is better for the team, not just themselves. I believe the more well rounded the guy is the better he will be what we need and not focus in so much on just his strengths.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    History is filled with great basketball players that never excelled on the defensive end. If you can put the ball in the basket you just need to do enough on the other end to keep the +/- in your favor. We don't even have to go back too far in UF history. Jalen Hudson was our leading scorer last year so his defensive efforts did not come under the microscope until this season.

While Stokes can improve his conditioning, footwork, positioning, etc. he will never be a rim protector. I'm hopeful he can become a decent rebounder, but he's got a long way to go. Ideally, his minutes moving forward can be complemented w/ a frontcourt-mate that brings some of that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Stokes has to lose another 20-30 pounds by next year to really be effective and well conditioned to play major minutes. Need a shot blocker to defend rim more effectively

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. diamondted13

Jan 1, 2008
    If the reports that he was down to 249 a couple weeks ago are true then I don't think he needs to lose much more. The concern is him adding the weight back on in the offseason. His weight at or near 250 is reasonable. It's all about conditioning moving forward (assuming he keeps the weight off).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I believe if Stokes keeps putting the effort in during the summer and fall that he has been putting in lately we will see a much improved player come next season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    No doubt. Still would bet he's mainly a 10-15 min a game guy during his career, and that's fine if he is. Every team Needs good role players

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    The truth is . . . our 2,3 and 4 spots are often pretty position-less. So, its not really a leap for KJ to move from the 4 to the 3 in this offense . . . as there isn't really a distinction. It is more about rotations and lineups that compliment one another.

After Stone was hurt, the options were either KJ or small-ball. So I do think we would like to add another piece there, considering the nature and timeline for Stone's recovery.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Agree.... I think we all thought KJ would be a beast at the 3 as an incoming freshmen, but most of us need to loosen up on that idea as he has proven to be, in some match-ups, a gigantic mismatch at the 4. I think we will see him spend a lot of time running by and out-leaping a lot of 4-spot guys next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I don't argue that point because I don't have enough info to do so. It's going to be interesting watching him though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    This is the first thread I open whenever I hit the forums. Can't wait to see how it shakes out. Some of @akaGatorhoops comments on other threads have made me optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 2