Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

The Good and Bad about Scottie Lewis

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tampajack1, Jan 21, 2019.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The good is that Scottie and Brad Beal are the 2 most talented non-big men to sign with Florida in the last 20 years. The bad is that Scottie is projected to go #5 in the 2020 NBA draft.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Hopefully will play 35+ games in 2019-2020 for deep tournament run.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    If he comes for only season and still is the #5 prospect in the draft next year should be fun. Add that talent to what should be one of the best shooting duos (Locke and Mann) in the SEC and a developing talent in Andrew and that will be fun to watch.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I'd be pretty shocked if Lewis doesn't go one and done but hey, I'm going to enjoy that one year!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    It will be good for our program to have an occasional one and done. Shows that Florida is high profile enough to get recognition for players wanting to go to the next level. It will attract other top talent to look at Florida as an option instead of just another hat on the table.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Scottie went for 26 in the televised game today and locked down Jaden McDaniel, the 6’ 10” kid who is rated the #6 high school senior in the country. If you get a chance, watch the replay. Scottie scored 20 points in the 2nd half to lead his team to a comeback win.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I haven't seen Scottie in person but he can play with anybody. Obviously he can't do it all on his own but he will be the most all around talented kid on the court in most every game we play next year, including Kentucky.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Gator Commits On Display At Hoophall Classic | GatorCountry.com
    "Finishing inside was no problem for the explosive Lewis as well as he had multiple extremely athletic layups and dunks, especially a baseline drive that he finished with a crafty reverse layup. His jumping ability and wingspan are indicative of a player that could finish well around the hoop and his intelligence and savvy help in that area as well. I don’t think finishing around the cup will ever be an issue for him."
    Eric's write up description about Scottie Lewis is spot on and good to hear his shot has improved. He has always excelled at finishing to the rim, almost unstoppable, and his defense his very good. I'm always reminded of Vernon Maxwell taking it to the basket when I watch Scottie. Vernon's first step was slightly quicker but Scottie has better control. I watched some of his videos in the off season and saw him working on his shot. I'm glad that is paying off at mid season form.
    As Eric said, "Seeing Lewis knock down threes off the dribble is a scary sight given his excellence in other aspects of the game and he’s looking like someone who could be dominant as a freshman at Florida."

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    link?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't have a link, but I believe that it is being replayed on Spectrum.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Scottie is a great talent but he still looks like he's got a 10th grade body. Beal had an NBA-ready body. I'm going to say he stays more than a year here.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    It seems Scottie has always had that body. He's all quick-twitch, he won't put on much bulk but he'll be muscular as hell when he gets in our strength program. The thing with him though is that he's very smart, very academic. I think this kid could be a senator some day smart. Like Grant Hill. Even though he might be rated high heading into the draft, I think he's here for 2+ years. He had Harvard and Stanford in his final 5. That says a lot.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I watch Bradley Beal's games in the NBA and I'm grateful for his brief little stop in Gainesville.
    His game puts a smile on my face and I'm thrilled to this day to tell everyone he's a Florida Gator!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That would be ideal. Very rare for a freshmen to lead a team to a title, and frankly I don't think we will have the talent around him to do it anyway. But man, in that 2nd year you'd have to think our talent and experience mix would be just right to get back to the final 4 (presuming White gets at least one more big guy). Unfortunately I doubt very much that is in the cards, if I was giving advice to a guy projected as #5 pick I'd tell him he'd be crazy not to go for it.

Of course these things are not set in stone, he would have to continue to impress scouts at this level to actually be the #5 pick. Beal came in as a projected #3 and left as #3. No change for him. But some guys make big moves up and down based on their play. If he's not "NBA ready" maybe he does indeed come back to make that leap in year 2.

15. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    All good. I hope he comes in and dominates CBB and leaves after one year as the number one pick. Good for next year and great for the future. I can picture it now... next year watching a Duke basketball game and the announcers just talk about Scottie Lewis and the FLORIDA GATORS while occasionally updating the score of the game they should be announcing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I've watched a lot of Ranney, and Antoine is the main guy on that team. Nothing against Lewis, but Antoine has the more NBA-ready game. Lewis is the heart of that team, though. I'd take Lewis over Antoine for that reason. I hope Lewis can add on some weight so he can rotate between the 2-4 spots like Beal was able to.

• Like Like x 1
  17. luvtruthg8r

luvtruthg8r Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cue the "He is so good I am going to lie to myself and say that he is not quite as good as he is because he is so good that I want him to stay" comments.

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Cue in the former "Nembhard is a one and done because someone else said he's a one and done and I can't evaluate talent so I'm just going to agree" comments.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I think Lewis will be one and done but I’m looking forward to watching him more than any player in quite some time. With Mann’s ability to score, I’m hoping that White doesn’t restrict his minutes in favor of Nembhard because of Nembhard already having a year of experience. Nembhard doesn’t have the firepower of Mann.

20. bigsky rooter

bigsky rooter Freshman

Aug 3, 2017
    Watched Lewis in 1 game (yesterday) and commented in another thread. I didn't see or hear the #5 draft prediction, but I don't believe it. He doesn't have the body nor the ball handling skills for the pros yet. I don't think he will start before this years 3 freshmen. If White plays 4 guards he could replace Allen. (I know the "experts" feel differently) FYI, one of the announcers commented that Uf was in the running for Moses Moody; a 6' 6" junior @ Montverde. He's from Ark so that's the probable school.