Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Gators: "No More Than a Gadfly Within Georgia’s Shadow"

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jul 13, 2018 at 3:57 PM.

1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Tallahassee
    Enough Sunshine State static: Be thankful Alabama, not Florida, represents Georgia’s true measuring stick. Georgia should look west for its measuring stick, not south for a distraction. Georgia should concern itself with climbing to college football’s summit, not be concerned about the static from a wounded rival.

The past few days have produced a fascinating dichotomy for Dawgs fans. On one hand, former Florida coach Steve Spurrier said the Gators can challenge Georgia in the SEC East this year, as relayed by DawgNation’s Brandon Adams. On the other, former Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said Georgia is “right there” with Alabama for SEC supremacy, as reported by DawgNation’s Mike Griffith.

You don’t need to be Albert Einstein to know which opinion is more on point.

Is it possible to mute everything that comes from the mouth of a current or former Florida coach? It was humorous to hear Spurrier’s bizarre take. On Wednesday, I wrote about how the Bulldogs should grind the Gators for a while, after Florida coach Dan Mullen inexplicably said power in the SEC was shifting to the East. The Gators should be no more than a gadfly within Georgia’s shadow in the coming years.

Enough Sunshine State static: Be thankful Alabama, not Florida, represents Georgia's true measuring stick

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is that all a fancy way of saying they've won 9 out of the last 30? Can't erase that stink, no matter how much they wish it away.

When was that last Natty? Oh, 38 years ago? So only a generation and a half.

F the Poodles.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    How dare you bring facts in here!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. gatorraid1989

gatorraid1989 Sophomore

Aug 3, 2017
    Lol...the Dawgs never fail to amaze me with their arrogance and stupidity. Granted, they had a great year last year and a killer recruiting class, the bottom line is that they still haven't won crap. And even if they win this year, they still haven't won big for long enough to have anywhere near the respect Alabama has or the arrogance that the Dawgs have. Sheeshh

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    SOS is right... sure we can compete for the East this year. This is a talented but unproven and young UGA football team. Talented though, yes... If everything goes right for us then was can beat them this October.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wiskgator71

wiskgator71 VIP Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I like it when someone overlooks something because that's usually right when something sneeks up behind them and bites them in the ass. I believe there is nothing wrong with being the underdog...

7. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Some of their players' parents weren't even born the last time they won a title. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I could understand the writer's take...... if he stated that Georgia eye candy was more equivalent to Alabama's than Florida's. That would make sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. reaves2alvarez

reaves2alvarez GC Legend

Nov 29, 2016
    Why does the St. John's River flow north cause Georgia sucks that's why." Never gets old.

I grew up in the 70s/80s. I was there when Lindsay Scott scored. Scarred my childhood. I was also there a lot in the 90s though too.;)

I'd still rather beat them than the Nolies- and I live in Tally. They have one good season and now they are Alabama?? Guess what? Heeeeeeeere come the Gators!

I like Mullen with the comments. Kind of reminds me of SOS. I didn't get mad at the "lateral move" comment when he was at MSU. Good for him - you have to stick up for the fam. He's doing the same thing now. Break the bottle DM and let's head into that dark alley and get it on.

"Wes Chandler was Percy Harvin before Percy Harvin was born."

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Amen, brother. '80 was the first season I was old enough to actually go to games and follow with awareness. Three decades of standing on the pups' throats still isn't enough, so here's to three more.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The irony, of course, is similar whimsical fables were written after '97 and '07. "No. Really this time we're the next big thing".

Once a decade the stop licking their own nethers long enough to proclaim themselves the pending world beaters...... and then fail to live up to the hype. Cue dismissive wanking gesture.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    At present outlook, UGA is a fair bit stronger. A bevy of factors will contribute to the outcome of this year's game, including injuries, QB play, and system transitions.

Beyond that, we need to "get ours" in FL. As long as we are getting the best recruits in FL, we will compete with GA and defeat them more often than not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    1st game....7 weeks
    UF vs Uga...15 weeks.....:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Well, they have won 1 in a row.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    dog-favorite item on the buffet for a hungary gator.

16. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    Our schedule lines up perfectly. We get Vandy then a bye week and the Georgia. I do like our chances.

• Like Like x 1
  17. reptilenation

reptilenation Senior

Oct 12, 2013
    Kind of reminds of Tenn and their off-season championships....

18. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Damn, i was born only a few years before their natty.

19. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    A Gadfly? Do people in Georgia really talk like that?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Another good piece for the locker room wall

Work ‘em silly Gators