Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Future

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Apr 1, 2021.

1. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    $200K signing bonus? Well, then if that's true, maybe we should just go ahead and do away with scholarships for these 5*s if they're going to be that wealthy. "Amateur athletics" ???.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    I guess the rest of us don't like to get paid either. Ever bury anyone lately, now that business has a captive audience. They get paid royally. A coffin cost as much as the home I grew up in. My daughter is getting married soon and we are getting fileted by the florist. Wedding cake? I'm thinking about baking my own for her. Rich people don't often get rich by being stupid. I know a lot of young wise men who work at a McDonald's drive thru right now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Junior

Oct 14, 2017
    I think that the NIL will just be a mechanism to pay them for playing football for your school. Players will demand it and boosters will pay it, even if there is no true market value to the name.

The point is that if only a handful of NFL can use their NIL to make big money, how many college players can do it?[/QUOTE]

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Inflation... and I really do think you missed my point. College football is still fine right now how it it. It's never going to be the same... really soon. And that sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    My Mothers side of the Family has been in the Funeral Home Business since the 1930's but not me.

A word of advice: Pay for cremation, in advance. Best most inexpensive way.

I find casket funerals to be a waste of money. I find those that practice "open casket" funerals to be on the .....WEIRD...........side.

Save the casket and go have a great meal to recollect the deceased is what I'm going to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Anyone in the top 300 will get something to sign.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Why? They really don't need that, do they? They're already allowing players to get paid by bagmen and the NCAA looks the other way, so long as it doesn't come back to implicate the school making the payments.

I think the NIL is really about that very small handful of college players who's image gets used each season to promote the college football brand. I'm talking about guys who became almost household names like Trevor Lawrence, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Joe Burrow, Saquon Barkley, Deshaun Watson and Tua Tagovailoa. These guys were the face of college football and they weren't compensated for it. The amount of money these guy's images made for the schools and apparel companies in jersey sales and free promotion for the TV networks for use of their image in promotion of upcoming games. Those guys deserve to get paid for their image.

I may be proven wrong, but I don't think the NIL really benefits the average player much. Other than allowing them to get a few bucks for autograph signings or public appearances and maybe if their name is used in a game, I don't see them getting much. I'm pretty sure any compensation they get has to be considered "reasonable". I doubt a player is ever going to be allowed to charge $5,000 to a bagman for an autograph or get $10,000 to do an appearance at the local car lot. I think the payments you're talking about will always have to be done secretly.

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Rules will determine what’s done and how for sure. If I can’t give a kid 100k to sign by putting his face on my billboard, who knows how it will shake out

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You might want to invest money in the billboard business around Lexington, Kentucky and Tuscaloosa, Alabama. My guess their business will be picking up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hey Matherly, (off topic) ever heard of 'LAMAR"? My sis used to date Bobby Switzer before he (they) went big time. Bobby had a bit of that..............attitude that some in the business world find so admirable while the rest of us would call it being a "Jerk".

• Like Like x 1
  11. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    Just look out for the monster tornadoes to take 'em down.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    maybe I missed something but I thought this was the thread about non fungible etc etc. not totally sure u guys are even disagreeing

I agree though nil will be fked 6 ways from the weekend a minute and a half after it actually fully starts but that’s no diff than it is now.

13. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Would NIL pretty much eliminate the need for bagman or would they just do their thing with lower rated players?

14. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Right. The average HS athlete can imagine having x amount of dollars but if they are paid then the scholarship opportunity should also change. If the athlete accepts x dollars do they also pay their own tuition and expenses? If so, how many can and will actually do that and remain eligible? Will players then start signing with agencies that take care of all their expenses for a large piece of their future earnings? It will take about four years for the nightmares to be reported and by then all the crying, whining, and hand wringing won't change the system back to what we have now. This could really turn out to be a mess if entities outside of their university get involved and can get into a player's current or future earnings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree with most all of that. The only counter-argument will be that athletic scholarships are not technically need-based. It's still nonsense that these are considered amateur athletes, even only with how they already get compensated.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  16. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    At least student athletes can't be compelled. They can still take the route currently available and remain independent. But many Universities will set up compensation funds. UF likely would be slow to do so, LSU, georgia and Saban's machine probably already have their attorneys mapping out the system as they see it.

I guess we are still essentially deciding if the University itself will be required or permitted to compensate? I might be including the possibility of entities controlling or managing student athletes when that's not even part of the discussion.

17. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I thought it was just private industry that could compensate them, but, maybe not.

18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought the impetus initially was that Universities and NCAA(?) make money off of athlete's likeness and success so can or should be compelled to compensate. But does it end there? I don't know. But many of us probably see the genie being let out of the bottle and what is now not perfect but at least competitive becoming something that has significantly less meaning and ideal. But nothing's changed yet and nothing is inevitably changing either, right? I don't know a lot about the process of change or where it stands.

19. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    If it's about the university compensating them, I'm against it, because they already do (tuition, books, lodging, free medical, free tutoring, free coaching in their life's ambition, free food, free access to bowl game goodie packages, ...). If it's about private industry doing the compensating, I'm kind of ambivalent, but, it will end up with the system providing an advantage to the Alabamas of the world (so, nothing changes there.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Passionate fans made college football the money-making business that it is. Buy the BigVOLdaddy NFT when it comes out = Dollar Bill Y`all.