Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

"The Fourth Amendment is Not for Sale Act"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Apr 12, 2024.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hadn't heard about this before, but it's a republican sponsored bill that bans tech companies from selling data to police that helps them solve crimes. I guess the idea here is that buying geolocation data from tech companies help the police determine who was in an area at a certain time, things like that.

Without knowing much about this, I'm wondering if this is a republican backlash to the large number of successful Jan. 6th prosecutions, because as I recall, cell phone data was used to place rioters in the building. Seems odd that the "back the blue" republicans would push this.

The sponsor says this amounts to a warrantless search in violation of the 4th amendment. I only learned about because this Grady Judd link popped up on my homepage.

Polk Sheriff Grady Judd opposes the 'Fourth Amendment is Not for Sale Act.' Here's why. | wtsp.com

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The same party that supported all the government overreach and authoritarian measures after 9/11, and scream about crime at every possible opportunity, now do t like it when dem friendly groups help?

3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'm all for this.

4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you think it's a legit 4th amendment issue, even though people almost certainly clicked "agree" when asked, and gave the App permission to sell their data? What do you think of police using public DNA databases, linking suspects to cold cases through their relative's DNA?

5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's tough. The third party doctrine currently stands in the way, but it's possible courts will narrow that doctrine as it relates to the internet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1