Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

The Forgotten UF DT

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 3, 2020.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Certainly disruptive and pretty quick. Good motor.

3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Will continue to say that this is a very good pick up. Kid is very talented, moves well, and has great size. Staff feels the same way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Getting recruits the size of Dexter and Thomas in back to back cycles is not normal. Hopefully this means lots of passes batted down at the LOS over years to come.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    After a year or two in the strength program he could really become disruptive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, could be another under-rated kid in this class. (We have about six IMO).
    It looks like this kid has received some solid coaching -- he uses his hands really well, decent swim move, and has plenty of power (he consistently whipped a double team). Not sure I see "quickness" but I like his first step.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Nice assessment on the quickness. I also like his first step.

• Like Like x 1
  8. r0r080

r0r080 Junior

Jul 31, 2019
    I'm not sure what to make of him due to the kind of competition he was seeing during the regular season, I noticed the one playoff game against Miami Central (lost to Central 38-0) he spent a lot of time on the ground or being moved away from the play. Was probably the only time the entire season he saw a quality HS OL.....where he wasn't able to just over-whelm someone because of his size. Is there any camp video out there of him that anyone has seen?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Thanks for reminding us Christopher Thomas has good credentials. With Coach Turner’s bigs, getting push up the middle won’t be unusual. When CDM made that hire I was scratching my head thinking “Who is this guy?”. David Turner has proven to be a good fit and he seems to be a good hire both on and off the field.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  10. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017

Recruits gotta be loving the contracts fletcher cox and jones got.....he has the resume, DTs should be lining up

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    I honestly so not know

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Let's hope so. We are gonna be playing a lot if freshman and sophomores real soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Hard to truly evaluate HS DTs, as so much of their future success relies on development. Gap control, leverage, Technique, S&D and film study. In HS they dominate against smaller opponents, rush the passer and blow up things in the backfield. Does not happen like that in the SEC. All the OL are their size in the SEC and many have 3 years of S&D and coaching/technique under their belt. A HS kid at DT can’t rely on talent and outmuscling other kids any more.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Sophomore

Jan 2, 2014
    Looks like he moves well for someone carrying 20-50lbs extra weight. I think given a couple years with Savage and Turner he'll be good to go! Can't teach size.

15. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    I’m wishing Watson was a ‘20 instead of ‘21. It has been a long time since we‘ve seen a Gator DT with the combination of size, brute strength, technique and quick first step this young man possesses already. Will love seeing Watson in the middle with Dexter at one end and Carter or Cox (if they’re not NFL bound) on the other. Hate to have to wait another season to see him making life miserable for opposing OL’s and QB’s.

Coach Turner is turning out to be the gift that keeps on giving. So glad CDM brought him in. He may well be the staff’s missing link to solving the UGA riddle by having his DL make life miserable for their RB’s.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. username

username GC Legend

Aug 17, 2017
    Ding ding ding! One of the main reasons the DL is so important is because of Georgia....ofc playing in the SEC means you have to have a line on both sides but Georgia specifically with how much they run the ball with all their 5 star O lineman and RBs....our incoming defensive prospects look up to the challenge.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Auburn showed last year that with a dominant d line and basically nothing else you can have a decent year, even in this league.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I had a weed man in highschool whose name was Christopher Thomas....come to think of it I’ve never seen the two in the same place. Hmmmmm.
    I’m playin , it just jogged my memory

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree. If they're QB had a little more time under his belt, they could have been dangerous.

20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 2