Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

The Florida Get Down Holiday Showcase...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ArtVandelay, Oct 13, 2019.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    UF Hall of Famer Dan Cross is organizing a high school showcase with some of the top programs in the state. Here is some information. Ticket information coming soon, but I believe $10.00 will get you in for the whole day (7 games). Should be good for the program to have this type of event in Gainesville.

“The Florida Get Down”! Holiday Basketball Showcase Games! Coming Soon!!
    SPONSOR OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE!

The City Of Gainesville Florida will now be the host for future legends and unforgettable success stories that will continue to flourish and give birth to new and undiscovered talent.

The tradition of basketball in The State Of Florida and surrounding states is rich with elite athletes. Even in a state where legends live and storytelling is a way of life, there are tales of hardwood glory that remain unknown to most.

"The Florida Get Down" will draw iconic high school superstars, local legends and thousands of fans creating a unique destination for High-Caliber Basketball.

Excited to announce The Inaugural
    “Florida Get Down” Christmas Basketball Showcase Games are set for December 27-28, 2019 in Gainesville Florida at St Francis High School.

14 Match Up Games Across 2 Days! Div 1 and Div 2 High school prospects! Top recruits in Florida under one roof!

Here are some of the Top chosen Florida High School Basketball Teams being Showcased!

Committed Teams for “The Florida Get Down”!: Invitation Only!

*The Rock, *Potters House, *Tampa Bay Oldsmar, *Ocoee High School, *Central Pointe Christian Academy, *Tampa Bay Tech,
    *Boyd High, *Howard L. Blake,
    *Hillsborough High School,
    *Strawberry Crest, *Stranahan High,
    *PH1 Prep, *John Paul II,
    *American Collegiate Academy..

This is a Florida High School Sanctioned Event! Look forward to seeing basketball fans!. More information coming soon!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Well it seems the old Kingdom of the Sun in Ocala might be on its last legs with the drop off in talent it has seen the last many years so this Get Down might have a chance to fill a void in the area. Since they are playing the same days as the KOTS it will take away what little attention the Kingdom has left. The Get Down looks to go after many of the smaller basketball factories in the state that can each showcase a few elite players which will help sell tickets from the get go. There are plenty of good players on many of these teams but here is an early look at a few players you might want to see as I have compiled from several Source Hoops articles...

Ramses Melendez, Kissimmee Central Pointe Christian: 6’6 slender sniper seemingly improves each time we see him. He knocked down deep shots early, then took defenders off the dribble with a quick first step, finishing at the basket before defensive help could arrive. Melendez surprised at times with his ability to finish above the rim.
    DeAndre Harvey, 1 Family: The 5’11 point court from Potter’s House in Jacksonville played well in running the team on Saturday. He is strong and athletic for the position but played with a solid understanding of pace and tempo. Harvey was quick to get the ball up the floor via the pass or dribble once on offense and also swiftly got the ball to open shooters for scores. He was quick and shifty enough with his dribble to get past defenders and generally made good decisions with the ball after breaking down the defense. His shot has good form but he finished just 1-4 from beyond the arc. Defensively he was intent on making play difficult for the opponent.
    Seeing 6’8 David Green play this spring and summer was a big change from our first viewing of him in a playoff game with Ocoee. He showed a great deal of offensive diversity with his ability post up and score inside, connect on shots from the perimeter out to the three point line, and put the ball on the floor from the high post and short corner areas of the floor to score at the basket after one or two dribbles. Green has a solid frame, plays with an active motor, and competes well on the glass at both ends. He’s got a bit of “Draymond” in him, though we don’t think they are related. This Green has become one of the better inside/out performers in the state’s rising senior class.

Not sure about this guy but I hope we are looking at him for 2022....
    We initially heard of Jean Montero from a coach of the Dominican National Team. We got our first glimpse of the 6’2 guard this spring in action with the Nightrydas Elite 15u. However, his “coming out party” took place in the summer where he averaged just over thirty points a contest in the FIBA U16 Americas Championship, leading the Dominican National Team to the Bronze Medal and later was named the MVP at the Basketball Without Borders event, a major international scouting combine that attracts college and NBA scouts alike. Going through the box scores of the Nike 15U Peach Jam, it appears Montero missed the first two games of the event for the NightRydas. Montero then came in and put up 25 points a game on 50% shooting from the floor to go along with 4.5 assists an outing to help lead the squad to the title. Doing a bit of research, we came to discover that Montero played at DME Academy this past season. However, we don’t recall Montero playing for the “main” HS team with Moussa Diabate and others. There is some question as to where Montero will play this coming high school season. If it is in Florida, he is a must-see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Here are some players that may play that I pulled from 247. Last two numbers are their rating values and their National Player Ranking. Emmanuel Sharp should be the stand out here and get plenty of offers. As with many of these basketball factories many players come and go and this list might change a few more times before December.

2022 Emmanuel Sharp
    Blake (Tampa, FL)
    SG 6-4 / 215
    0.9827 #51

2021 Ramses Melendez
    Central Pointe Christian (Kissimmee, FL)
    SF 6-5 / 190
    0.9490 #133

2020 Victor Rosa
    SG 6-5 / 175
    0.8940 #190

2020 Antwan Burnett
    American Collegiate Academy (Montgomery, AL)
    SG 6-4 / 197
    0.8715 #294

2020 Jadrian Tracey
    Oldsmar Christian School (Oldsmar, FL)
    SF 6-5 / 190
    0.8556 #363

2020 Taelon Martin
    Potter's House Christian Academy (Springfield, MA)
    PG 6-3 / 165
    0.8381 #378

2020 Jonathan Aybar
    PF 6-7 / 180
    0.8000 #398

2020 Khalil Shaheed
    Superior Collegiate Academy (Clearwater, FL)
    SG 6-4 / 190
    0.8000 #401

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Here is the final roster of teams that are attending. 2 days of high quality high school basketball.

Tickets and more info can be found at The Florida Get Down | Just another WordPress site

Here is the Schedule:

[​IMG]

*The Rock
    *Potters House
    *Clearwater Academy International
    *PHS Academy
    *Central Pointe Christian Academy
    *Tampa Bay Oldsmar
    *Ocoee High School
    *Stranahan High
    *Tampa Bay Tech
    *Boyd High
    *Howard L. Blake
    *Hillsborough High School
    *Strawberry Crest
    *John Paul II
    *Lake Worth
    *Oak Leaf Academy

5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Trivia:
    Which of the invited schools featured - in the late 1980s - a diminutive, left-handed pg who.... despite being largely relegated to reserve minutes... outscored the starting guard due to a very high free throw conversion rate?
    Hint: This 5’5 guard would later stretch to 6’1, and added even more girth to his midsection ... all while losing a tremendous amount of hair. He would achieve virtually no fame or recognition as a forum poster and occasional writer.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

Danny Wuerffel?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Walter hodge

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    I'll guess Boyd Anderson High and Bababooey.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Anyone planning on going to this? You can catch the Gators play Long Beach State on Saturday.

10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I’m kicking it around.

11. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    Well Brent, I was going to guess you, but you did not include avid Fisherman.................. So spill the beans, who was it???????

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Add “avid fisherman and obsessively superstitious”.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Last non-conference game. we’ll need the win! And prep (and confidence) for conference play!

I’m kicking it around...Sunday: the gator women also play at home.

14. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    You might see me there one of those days. I'm checking with my scouting friend to see if he is coming up. He has seen most of these teams already but he likes it when so many are in one spot. He goes to so many of these like the COP, KOTS, KSA, HBCPB, BCA, MVAC, The Metro etc. that he may not have time to drive up during the holidays. But I'm hopeful we will be there.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Dan said they are still looking companies that can donate in-kind product for players, Vendors that want to promote their product and Sponsors. Dan is happy to speak with anyone that has questions or would like to get involved.

Some really good talent is going to be playing against good competition!
    Here are some highlights. It's not letting me post the video, so you can copy and fill in the space...https://www.hudl.com /video/2/442183/5dd4d0090c5da30f000e75f0

Schedule and Information is posted above and can be found at Floridagetdown.org

16. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida

17. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Anyone planning on attending? I am coming up for the Gator game and will be there Friday and Saturday supporting Dan Cross. Should be some good hoops!

• Like Like x 1
  19. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Emmanuel Sharp playing now. Top 50 player. Gator target. Team is short handed (6 guys) and he got 2 quick fouls. He can shoot. Trying to do too much.

20. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Hit 3 deep 3’s in a row. Nailed both FTs for 1:1. Great 2nd quarter!

• Like Like x 1